Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pibber wrote: PolishGI : It's sure that having a paid solution, reliability is assured, but I have no money to put each month for my photos even if I recognize that the amount to disburse is really reasonable.
I think I will try with imgur.com first... :wink:
Understood. I was not implying to do it. I was just sharing my own internal issue with having to pay for a historically free service. It sucks having to pay for it now. As you eluded to, the hosting sites that are charging people money now are really killing the forums.

Check out imgur and see if it works for you.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

E5

Post by 7.62 »

I would second the using of Imgur.
So far, so good. Very easy to upload and resize.
Keep the photos coming please.
Mick.

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

Pibber
Thank you so much for the detail in your reply. I have watched many of your photos of the Vietnam work and have great admiration for what you build.

I will try that search on FB.

Thanks
Richard

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

Pibber
Thank you so much for the detail in your reply. I have watched many of your photos of the Vietnam work and have great admiration for what you build.

Thanks
Richard

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey Pibber, I found your FaceBook page (sent you a friend request). That Vietnam helicopter airfield you have on your page is incredible! I looks like a photo of a real airfield!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

Pibber
I have found you on FB but can’t see anything. So have sent you a friend request.
Thanks
Richard
rct75001 wrote:Pibber

Thanks
Richard

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I have been spending some time learning a 3d program and printing a few models that I will need for my collection.

TOC Bunker

Medical Bunker

Helipad

Bunker example

Artillery ammo bunker

Mortar ammo bunker

More pics in the thread…
GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Dude - I can't believe you made different sizes for artillery ammo and mortar ammo! Don't forget that the tank wrenches are bigger than the jeep wrenches when you make the maintenance building!

Quartette
E5

Post by Quartette »

Those look pretty awesome. - I particularly like the TOC bunker. Great work!

Are you willing/able to share some of the 3d files? Also what 3d program have you been using?

I have been experimenting with sketchup but when you get down to sub 1mm sizes it doesn't want to play.
Cave Ab Homine Unius Libri

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:Dude - I can't believe you made different sizes for artillery ammo and mortar ammo! Don't forget that the tank wrenches are bigger than the jeep wrenches when you make the maintenance building!
Thanks redleg. I am wrapping up the actual mortar pit as I type. Last test print is finishing. May try and post some pics of it later today. This is the fun part about this scale, what kind of detail can you bring out before things become a mess.

Quartette wrote:Those look pretty awesome. - I particularly like the TOC bunker. Great work!

Are you willing/able to share some of the 3d files? Also what 3d program have you been using?

I have been experimenting with sketchup but when you get down to sub 1mm sizes it doesn't want to play.
Thanks Quartette. I find myself going over all of my books looking for pics of this or that… if I am lucky I can find something with measurements. If not, hopefully the pic has something new it for “scaleâ€￾. From there, I draft the model in 1:1 scale in Sketchup 2019. Once complete, I am able to scale it down to 1/285-1/300 prior to printing in Cura. Seems to be working.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Incorporated the ammo bunker into the larger piece being the mortar pit itself. Quick update on the FSB tent as well. Thicken the supporting poles and added tent flaps to the sides.

More pics in my thread if interested.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Quartette
E5

Post by Quartette »

I just remembered I bought a complete set of US vietnam doctrine manuals as PDF about 15 years ago for a project... they might have some interesting reference material.

I will see if i can dig anything useful out.

Also that tented roof is great.
Cave Ab Homine Unius Libri

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

WIP pics of my bunkers. Ground has been filled in and built up to give the appearance that the bunker is underground.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Some WIP pics of new vegetation that I am trying to come up with… more pics in my thread.

2019 is almost closed… where did the year go?

GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That looks amazing, Polish! Impressive work on the vegetation and the bunkers! Is your vegetation 3d printed as well?

Bring me a shrubbery!