Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Really nice work! Paint job came out well!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Some random Vietnam update pics from my world. More in the build thread.

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

PolishGI- Thanks for posting those. They look great! What bases are you using and is that a magnet on the bottom of the plane? Again, very nice work.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

PolishGI,
Wow, that first picture of the A-4s!!! look great!!
The magnets for the planes, do you drill into the fuselage, or just flatten the fuselage to glue magnet? If you drill, what is your process and the tools you use?
Excellent work, thank you for sharing.
Chris

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

regia-marina wrote:PolishGI- Thanks for posting those. They look great! What bases are you using and is that a magnet on the bottom of the plane? Again, very nice work.
Hi RM,

Sure thing and thank you. Yes, I am using magnets on top of the acrylic stand/base and on the bottom of the aircraft model to hold onto each other. Works like a charm.

I think I picked up the magnets on eBay some time ago. If memory serves, they are 2mm x 1mm and/or 3mm x 1.5mm (larger).

The aircraft bases were purchased from LITKO Gaming Accessories. There you can select which base you want along with selecting the corresponding flight peg. I used 2-3 different lengths of peg to simulate height variations.

I hope that helps!

PGI
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

chrisswim wrote:PolishGI,
Wow, that first picture of the A-4s!!! look great!!
The magnets for the planes, do you drill into the fuselage, or just flatten the fuselage to glue magnet? If you drill, what is your process and the tools you use?
Excellent work, thank you for sharing.
Hi Chris,

Thank you. I believe those might even be a WIP pic. I will see if I can dig up the final. (more decals)

I used a hand drill (pin vise) to ‘go into’ the model. I have not been terribly consistent with this application. I find that the larger helicopters tend to be hollow so if you drill to far… uh oh.. now what? Totally not speaking from experience! (sarcasm) lol That is usually followed up with several spicy words.

On the planes, I can drill further into the fuselages and create enough small for most of the magnet. Almost flush.

Process, I look for a suitable flat or center of gravity location on the bottom of the model. If you can, use a metal file to create a small flat spot where you plan on drilling. (nothing huge) Then I drill a pilot hole. From there, I probably use 2-3 drill bits in increasing size until I reach the diameter of the magnet. Test fit the magnet ensure a tight fit. Once happy then you have two options: a) super glue the magnet in place and move forward with primer and paint or b) move on to primer and paint and come back when finished to super glue the magnet onto the model.

I found the most challenging aspect of the bases and magnets was the initial setup. I have probably 20 or so bases/pegs/magnets ready to go at any one time. But upon initial fire up, I needed to make sure that all 20 stands had a magnet super glued on top going in the same direction. Nothing was worse than having a combination of stands/magnets with positive side up or negative side up. So once I defined what the pegs will be, I started added magnets to all of the aircraft in a consistent manner. That way any aircraft can attach to any stand.

Let the super glue dry over night and you are good to go. These magnets are incredibly strong for their size. Case in point are my CH47s and CH53 models. The CH47 is held just fine. But I use extra care when flying around the CH53 due to its size and weight. I do not get AS confident of a feeling. So I guess I am reaching the limitation of the magnets.

And in the end, you have bases with magnets to attach to any of your models and you will have super glued yourself and/or fingers multiple times. It really is an experience worth living. lol
GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I do the same thing attaching magnets to my aircraft, except they don't look as good at Polish's work! Same deal with the ones I order - they have a positive and a negative side so you have to be careful which way you glue them on. I finally got so frustrated that I removed all of the magnets and created a master aircraft stand and painted it to identify it as such.

I order my magnets from K&J Magnetics. they're pretty cheap and the service is very good.

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:I do the same thing attaching magnets to my aircraft, except they don't look as good at Polish's work! Same deal with the ones I order - they have a positive and a negative side so you have to be careful which way you glue them on. I finally got so frustrated that I removed all of the magnets and created a master aircraft stand and painted it to identify it as such.

I order my magnets from K&J Magnetics. they're pretty cheap and the service is very good.

How many times did you glue yourself together? hehe
GHQ BUILD THREAD

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

LOL I always keep a bottle acetone within reach when I am gluing anything!

pibber
E5

Post by pibber »

hi all ! :)

Yes, thomas.tmcc, I still have my photos but I have problems to find a free web pictures host since photobucket became pay. That's why I don't put pictures on the forum for now. This is really sad photobucket isn't free because it killed a lot of the GHQ forum posts in which there were great photos of everyone's work. I used to consulte them with pleasure regularly, but now that many photos don't appear, the interest of some post has collapsed ! :(

Anyway, I'm still trying to find some time to continue on my Vietnam projects. At this moment, I continue the construction of a floating naval base that was used in south vietnam, I will try to put some pictures on my FB soon while waiting to post again images on the GHQ forum... :wink:

Very great painting job on your planes and your tractors PolishGI ! I love them ! :P

(There are few WWII pictures on my modest FB account : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php) :wink:
Pibber.
(Long life to GHQ !)

rct75001
E5

Post by rct75001 »

Pibber

I would love to see some of your photos on Facebook but that link does not seem to work for me.

I was only thinking yesterday to ask you what rules you use for your Vietnam games?

Thanks
Richard

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Pibber, I use imgur.com for hosting my photos. It's free and it's easy to use. And I love looking at pics of your amazing work!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

pibber wrote:hi all ! :)
Anyway, I'm still trying to find some time to continue on my Vietnam projects. At this moment, I continue the construction of a floating naval base that was used in south vietnam, I will try to put some pictures on my FB soon while waiting to post again images on the GHQ forum... :wink:

Very great painting job on your planes and your tractors PolishGI ! I love them ! :P
Thank you sir!

Yeah, I was quiet for a while since photobucket did what they did. Moved all pics/links to Flickr because it was free at the time and then Flickr started charging their customers. Lovely, so I went into protest mode as well.

So I looked around to see if I could find a website that I could host all of my pics on and never have to change again. Flickr offers unlimited hosting with paid packages so I bit the bullet. US$50 per year ($4/mo) for unlimited number of pics and space. And I don’t have to update each and every link now to correct old posts.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pibber
E5

Post by pibber »

To "rct75001" : Try to write "Pat Pibber" in the facebook research bare, maybe it could work...

I was interested in GHQ Vietnam rules, but I still haven't bought them yet.

I have personnal rules for WWII aera (For western and eastern front 1943-45). These rules are in french (1:1)(I created them) and, to give you an idea, they are very near "squad leader" pawns wargaming rules, but more simple.
So, i project to use the same principle of rules for Vietnam war aera (riverine and ground fighting and aerial ground support only (no aerial fighting between US/south Vietnam fighters and the north vietnamese fighters.)
For now, I'm only concentrate to build armies for Vietnam aera (riverine and ground models), and build landscape for futurs wargaming.
I already have, for example (1:1) :
- one US armored squadron (M113 ACAV, Sheridan, M48, M577...)
- one Heavy armored arty (M109 self propelled how.)
- one battery hv arty M107
- one US infantry Btn (HQ - x3 inf coy - x1 Hv support coy)
- one riverine assault squadron RAS11 composed with riverine division 111 and 112. (total : 5 Monitor, 2 CCB, 27 ATC (!), 16 ASPB)
- one PBR division (2x 10 boats "Pibber" MK2)
- one "Swiftboat" unit (18 boats)
- one medium boat transport coy (LCM8) (and with riverine arty barges on "Ammi" pontoons).
I 'm building few supports ships (scratch-building), they are "work in progress" for now (APL barrack ship - LST 2 (!) - LSD support ship,...)
As you see, there's a lot of work to complet all this stuff ! :) but things go on quietly.

Thank you very much redleg for the information about imgur.com, I will try that very soon, I wish it will permit me to show again on this forum my Vietnam models listed above and bring back old pictures for inspiration. :wink:
(thank you very much for your kind comment about my work :wink: )

PolishGI : It's sure that having a paid solution, reliability is assured, but I have no money to put each month for my photos even if I recognize that the amount to disburse is really reasonable.
I think I will try with imgur.com first... :wink:
Pibber.
(Long life to GHQ !)