Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

redleg wrote:That looks amazing, Polish! Impressive work on the vegetation and the bunkers! Is your vegetation 3d printed as well?

Bring me a shrubbery!
Thanks redleg! Im trying to play with combinations to see what works for the setup. Vegetation is not 3d printed unfortunately. It was recently purchased from an online vendor.

Did you say shrubbery? You must be in need of a…

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

Be careful when messing with shrubbery - you might run into these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnDtvShNGM
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

StarCruiser wrote:Be careful when messing with shrubbery - you might run into these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnDtvShNGM
LOL!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Quartette
E5

Post by Quartette »

I know we're not allowed to post links to competitor's sites - would it be ok to post links or a product name for your palms and shrubs?

I have tried to find palms and plants like that but invariably when they've arrived, they've been the wrong scale or poor quality. (or both).
Cave Ab Homine Unius Libri

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Quartette wrote:I know we're not allowed to post links to competitor's sites - would it be ok to post links or a product name for your palms and shrubs?

I have tried to find palms and plants like that but invariably when they've arrived, they've been the wrong scale or poor quality. (or both).
PM'd you.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Quick update introducing the bamboo trees.

More pics in my thread if interested.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Some Vietnam update pics… More in my thread…

GHQ BUILD THREAD

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Not only is the terrain you made outstanding but your aircraft look great as well. How long did it take you to make that battlefield?

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

regia-marina wrote:Not only is the terrain you made outstanding but your aircraft look great as well. How long did it take you to make that battlefield?
Thank you RM. The aircraft took a while only after all of the smaller armament pieces arrived in the mail. I did not plan on having the game room’s wall paint add to the effect of the picture as a skyline backdrop but I will take it! Lol

Building a battlefield is a mixed bag. It depends. Right? If we are playing a scenario with a defined map, then its just a matter of putting the puzzle together so it is in line with the designated map. If the map is not defined, I find it takes a little longer since you are using your imagination. You lay some hexes down and back up… nah… that doesn’t look right. Take it apart and try and again. Until the map is complete.

Ideally, it would be fun to have enough hexes to cover the ping pong table that I am using but realistically, that is a bit much. I use the ping pong table for WWII and I still don’t use a percentage of everything during the scenario. So doing that for Nam might be overkill. But it is a cool effect for sure in person.

And to be honest, I often lose pieces/models in the terrain. Lol Its only after the scenario, when I am picking everything up that I find a soldier (or boobytrap) here or there… oops.
GHQ BUILD THREAD

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

A few items I am working on for the Vietnam tabletop…

More pics in my thread HERE.

GHQ BUILD THREAD

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Really great stuff, Polish. Now, where is the latrine?
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

panzergator wrote:Really great stuff, Polish. Now, where is the latrine?
Thanks gator! LOL, you might be onto something here!

There was an older PC game called Armed Assault that covers many different eras of war. I was apart of a Vietnam group called The Unsung Vietnam War Mod. We actually had a latrine built for bases on our maps. That is where I learned my basic understanding of 3d CAD drawing. I wish I still had a copy of the 3d models that I could throw over and print in 3d. But no…
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pibber
E5

Vietnam

Post by pibber »

Hi all :)
Great picts and wargaming landscape PolishGI :D I love so much yours palm trees, hex, planes and Claymore. You did a really great job ! :D :wink:
I also work on my Vietnam landscape. It's still a little early to take photos but I will do it as soon as it is well advanced.
(I'm missing flocking to make the ground so I have to wait for the mail to work again to receive orders for diorama supplies. :roll: )
:wink:
Pibber.
(Long life to GHQ !)

PolishGI
E5

Re: Vietnam

Post by PolishGI »

pibber wrote:Hi all :)
Great picts and wargaming landscape PolishGI :D I love so much yours palm trees, hex, planes and Claymore. You did a really great job ! :D :wink:
I also work on my Vietnam landscape. It's still a little early to take photos but I will do it as soon as it is well advanced.
(I'm missing flocking to make the ground so I have to wait for the mail to work again to receive orders for diorama supplies. :roll: )
:wink:
Hi pibber!

Glad to see you surface! I’ve been missing your work lately! Lol

Thank you for the kind words.

Understood on the status, can’t wait to see the pics when they are ready. You always produce awesome pieces of work.

Darn mail… So the mail has completely shut down in France? Or just delayed? That can be frustrating for sure.

I just added the gun pits to my hexes and base coat painted them to eliminate any and all white (3d printed PLA is white).

The clay I plan to use just arrived from Amazon so I am reloaded with 10lbs (4.5kg) of goodness! I use the clay to build up and contour the terrain around buildings/bunkers as needed. I already went through 9lbs of my old clay, yikes. The old remaining clay finally dried out so a new order was needed.

Cant wait to see what you are working on!
GHQ BUILD THREAD

pibber
E5

Vietnam

Post by pibber »

Hi all :)

Yes, PolishGI, the post office works in France, but in slow motion very delayed, and there's still a lot of selection of parcels : they are selected and everything that is "metal hobby" isn't a priority, so it's necessary to wait longer for these products. :cry:

"Glad to see you surface! I’ve been missing your work lately! Lol " :lol:
you are right, it's been a long time since I haven't participated in some conversation on the forum because time is running out unfortunately, but I try to consult it quickly from time to time to admire the work of the members. There are very pretty things. :) :wink:

Good job on the shelters on your hexes. I love them ! :wink:
Pibber.
(Long life to GHQ !)