Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Nothing new. Into other games and other stuff right now...
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

Found this the other day and thought it was pretty cool. http://www.gruntonline.com/US_Forces/US ... /arty9.htm
Has good stuff about U.S. Army firebases.

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

another save

Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

Hi Guys,
I've got a first edition copy of MEKONG rules by GHQ from 1987. I managed to obtain a collection of Riverine models and I'm thinking of wargaming the period.

Does anyone know how the current MEKONG rules are as offered by GHQ?
Were changes/updates made to the first edition since I had gotten it? Noticeably absent from the first edition are data about jeeps, trucks, and some of the models now offered by GHQ in their Vietnam range.

Need input!

Zeppelin

jb
E5

Post by jb »

ShortRound70 wrote:Found this the other day and thought it was pretty cool. http://www.gruntonline.com/US_Forces/US ... /arty9.htm
Has good stuff about U.S. Army firebases.
SR. Grunt on line has a lot of good stuff. It also has a lot of good links...
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:
Roger that. Have gotten both of my kids to check it out. Even they are impressed. Maybe it'll help them in History class. :lol:

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Viet Nam era Aircraft

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Anyone gaming during Viet Nam era knows the value of the C-7. The US Army Aviation DeHavilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou, while they smelled like pigs and chickens most of the time, they were invaluable because of their STOL capabilities.

The scratch built 1/300 scale model you see in the picture below is not completed, but it will be in service during our upcoming Viet Nam era campaign, as will the LTV F-8 Crusader parked in a mat revetment. (Viet Nam period could use revetments as part of an accessory package, NOTE: GHQ)

Yes this really is a 1/300 scale Crusader with a clear canopy and pilot.

I am sorry the Caribou isn't finished in this photo, the decals were delayed for some reason by the postal service.

We really could use a revetment set, sand bag walls, etc. as an accessory package for Viet Nam and many other periods. Many interesting actions were fought in and around Army and Marine bases during the conflict. I can remember nights at Chu Lai trying to defend the flightline on either side of H&MS-24's facilities with a shotgun or a .38 Cal Pistol. We were not very effective I must admit though we did not have too many aircraft destroyed we did have the LOX plant blown up once.

By the way thanks GHQ for having the H-34 and the "flying banana" in the pipeline for those of us who were "in country" early, ...and often.

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

jb
E5

BAm?

Post by jb »

...I was a gonna BAM! again...Then I noticed Will's stuff here,How did I miss it? Dunno.Anyway, nice AC ,Will.
John

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Thomas,

Thanks, I appreciate your compliment. I've thought about trying to make a casting of some sort for this aircraft since it was such an important part of the transportation net in Viet Nam, but just don't have the time or the skill to make a mold, and besides the model isn't that good. Its one of those three footers... you know, looks good from three feet away, but not up close where GHQ modelers like to look at stuff...

Thanks again,

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

I only recently re-discovered GHQ, and after becoming a Piquet game system convert, I took a look at some NVA infantry packs at the local game store and was astounded with the details I found. I got hooked, bought all the NVA troops they had, and all the riverine stuff, and then ordered the US Air Cav pack and a pack of Huey gunships, and I guess you could say I'm hooked again. I had initially discovered GHQ minis after I enlisted in '74 and went to Ft Hood, TX, where there was a large gaming community using the WW2 minis. At the moment, I seem to be the only one in the area doing Vietnam or 1/285/6mm stuff, but I hope to start drawing converts as they see these minis on the table.

I learned to drive the M-114 in the Scout school at Ft Knox in 74, and got to Hood just in time to see them being towed out of the motor pools all around the post. I was recently surprised to see that many continued to be used as late as '78. I also discovered their use with the ARVN, so when I found the pack at the local game shop, I grabbed that up as well. Not a great success, it was fun to drive during the limited experience I had with it, and I have dreamed of getting one and restoring it to drive around town today.

I retired from the Army just over 10 years ago as a senior chaplain assistant and military history instructor at the chaplain school. I was unable to think about gaming Vietnam until recently but am now thoroughly hooked on it. Great seeing the relatively new figures from GHQ.

I'm doing lots of reading at the moment to get up to speed on the Vietnam battles so I can get some games on the table soon. If anyone is in the Dayton area, please get in touch. We can get some gaming on the agenda at the Wexford Hills shop, or possibly even into the HMGS-GL con, Advance The Colors coming up in September.
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart

Thomaso827
E5

Post by Thomaso827 »

While I'm thinking of Vietnam stuff, I am thinking to convert some WW2 US troops to Vietnam era Marines, and want to find some small rectangular pieces to make the M-1s into M-14s. Any ideas? Perhaps a Plastuct item? Thanks for your help.
Tom Oxley, OD Green Old Fart