M48A5?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jwbolen

M48A5?

Post by jwbolen »

Of the various M48s out by GHQ which best represents the M48A 5 as used by the U.S.army?
J W Bolen

panzergator
E5

Re: M48A5?

Post by panzergator »

I recommend the Israeli Magach3. The only drawback is the barrel jacket on the 105mm. This model has the correct hull and tank commander's cupola.

The inaccuracies of the GHQ model result from its likely intended use for Arab/Israeli '67 War games. The Israelis acquired M48A2s from the Germans and had about ten converted to the 105mm gun in time for that war and they were featured in a lot of pics. But that is not an M48A5. The GHQ model uses the M48A2 hull, which has the armored back deck, but not the correct deck grills. It also has the M1 cupola, which a few early A5s had because the low-profile cupola wasn't yet available. Had the A5 gone to war, it is likely enough the barrel jackets would have been issued to aid accuracy. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

The M48A3 was the tank used for conversion to the A5 that was issued to the two active duty battalions in Korea and to US National Guard units in the late '70s. Look at the top back deck armored grill doors of the M48A3 model and compare with those of the GHQ A5 model. You will notice the crook in the hull sides which was the result of modification to diesel engine and larger fuel tanks. You will also notice the fender boxes are different.

You COULD make EARLY A5s by purchasing packs of 48A3s and 48A5 and swapping the hulls and turrets, but putting up with the barrel jacket on the 105 of the Magach3 is cheaper and easier.

When issued with its modifications, the Army considered the M48A5 equivalent to the M60A1s then in service.

The Army had actually intended to mount the 105 on the A3 in the early '60s, but that plan wes precluded by the expense of the Vietnam War. The later effort was very likely induced by replacing from war stockage M60s and M60A1s the heavy Israeli tank losses in '73.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Re: M48A5?

Post by panzergator »

I should add that I prefer the turret shape of the M48A5 pack models to their later issues, but ya just can't have the ideal tank combo, can ya?
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.