Looking for Russian WW2 Naval Camouflage References

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

ww2navyguy
E5

Looking for Russian WW2 Naval Camouflage References

Post by ww2navyguy »

I have a few packs of Russian Gnevnyi class and new Storozhevoy (Type 7U) class destroyers but lack good references for camouflage schemes to try. Does anyone have any good references for Russian naval ship camouflage that they can share? Any good websites or book references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any ideas. :)

michaelw43

Re: Looking for Russian WW2 Naval Camouflage References

Post by michaelw43 »

@ww2navyguy
I have several books that portray Soviet destroyers. None of them have as many illustrations as the following website: navypedia.org. That gets you to the home page. Then drill down through FIGHTING SHIPS OF THE WORLD, RUSSIA/USSR, TORPEDO SHIPS, under DESTROYERS look for the class names 28. GNEVNYY destroyers (project 7) (1938 - 1942) and 31. STOROZHEVOY destroyers (project 7U) (1940 - 1942). The drawings show black and white waterline illustrations. (FYI I used all caps because that is what you see on this website.)

For photos you can view: navsource.narod.ru, sovnavy--ww2-ho-ua.translate.goog/index.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_sch=http (click on the picture, then the + sign by Destroyers, then on any ship name--you will get the whole class listing). These are Russian language sites. You will have to use Google Translate to get Engish. They have more photos than all the many books I have. If you have any difficulties, I can give you more detailed instructions on how to access these websites.
In English: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_World_War_II_destroyers (also gives you the meaning of the Russian name of the ship), wio.ru/fleet/ww2fleet.htm, and for the Black Sea Fleet: kchf.ru/eng (look under the project column for Project 7 & 7U).
Good luck on your research.

Michael D. Waters

ww2navyguy
E5

Re: Looking for Russian WW2 Naval Camouflage References

Post by ww2navyguy »

Michael,

Thank you so much for finding these great websites! Wow! Tons of photos. I wish I knew how to read Russian. :D

Too bad nothing in color.

I really appreciate the help. Thank you, thank you.