Parachutes in 1/285 scale?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hellfish6

Parachutes in 1/285 scale?

Post by Hellfish6 »

Howdy

I'm contemplating making a diorama for an airdop (or LVAD) of an M551 Sheridan. Has anyone ever attempted making parachutes at 1/285 scale? I've been pondering it for a couple days and I have no idea what materiel might even be best, nevermind how to shape it or form it in either an open or collapsing form.

Any ideas?

Beagle
E5

Re: Parachutes in 1/285 scale?

Post by Beagle »

Maybe try soaking a bit of paper towel or something similar in diluted white glue, form it over a ping pong ball or something similar shaped that’s smooth that the glue won’t adhere to, and let it dry? Never tried it, just snowballing.

Hellfish6

Post by Hellfish6 »

Definitely worth a shot. Thanks!

STS

Post by STS »

If it's just a few pieces for a diorama, you could take a look at 3D printed ones. I've seen them being used for 15 mm models, and it looked alright. As far as "deflated" ones on the ground are concerned, thin, painted aluminum foil might work.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Are use the simple method that originated with making tarps for my vehicles. For making parachutes laying on the ground, or even draped over trees, I used tin foil which I formed, primed, painted, and applied wash. On some of them I added wire to replicate the ropes of the harness. It was very easy to do.

Hellfish6

Post by Hellfish6 »

Thanks for the pointers. I haven't decided if they'll be inflated, semi-inflated or on the ground. It'll depend of experiment results and/or what's available from 3d printers.

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Another (admittedly weird) idea is to carve sugar cubes to the desired shape, drape your (doped) material over same, then disolve away the cubes once the dope has dried.
The dope would, of course, have to be non-water soluable, but this can work for some interesting cases.

WG