Bad Habit?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Bad Habit?

Post by BurtWolf »

Just got my new order from GHQ (great and quick service) and struck me that I have a bad habit - I do not finish one GHQ endeavor before moving to the next…. My new order was mostly France 1940 stuff. I have about 200 half painted minis from France 1940 because I didn’t focus and finish. And I have yet to finish Africa WW2 which I started two years ago (plenty of half-started minis and buildings = a lot of money spent so far) or so, and now I am eying the pacific, having ordered a bunch of scenery from another vendor.

You guys have similar hobbyist ADD?

Beagle
E5

Re: Bad Habit?

Post by Beagle »

Not at all, it gnaws at my brain if I start something and don’t finish it. I do have multiple projects going at once, but never more than I can tackle. Usually a stand of ACW, one allied and one axis micro armor, a micronaut, and a 28mm. Then I have my plastic stuff that’s a whole different category, But I can bounce around while waiting on paint, washes, ground cover to dry, still have stuff to work on, but not be over my head.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I am probably worse than you. I have about 1000 lives, collected since 2010, and not a single piece is finished to the level I set for myself. Within that thousand pieces, I would say at least a quarter of them have no paint at all. One reason might be that I have no one in the area that wants to battle modern...the other is I let life gett in the way. The biggest reason is, I think I try to paint too much detail ...

My new years resolution is to start finishing what I have.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Oh, yeah. Easier to buy than find time to paint. Most of my stuff is unpainted or needs to be stripped and repainted. Been more concerned with filling out units. Life intervenes. My favorite activity is visiting grandchildren, even though we are back to visiting through closed windows. I have ambitions to paint this year, and continue to flesh out units, as well.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Not a single thing I paint is finished to the standard I set for myself, lol. If you look back at my posts with pictures, usually one of my first comments is something I screwed up I didn’t see until I took a picture. My theory is if I strive for perfection, even though no one is perfect, the results should at least be pretty good.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 pm
I am probably worse than you. I have about 1000 lives, collected since 2010, and not a single piece is finished to the level I set for myself. Within that thousand pieces, I would say at least a quarter of them have no paint at all. One reason might be that I have no one in the area that wants to battle modern...the other is I let life gett in the way. The biggest reason is, I think I try to paint too much detail ...

My new years resolution is to start finishing what I have.
Your telling me, none of my LGS's in town, never even heard of GHQ before, and no one (except dougeagle) actually played it at all. in short im stuck.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Your telling me, none of my LGS's in town, never even heard of GHQ before, and no one (except dougeagle) actually played it at all. in short im stuck.
What the heck are you talking about? Not sure what LGS's are. The rest of your email is equally critical to me.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:35 pm
What the heck are you talking about? Not sure what LGS's are. The rest of your email is equally critical to me.
Local Game Stores, my hometown has 2, though none carry GHQ models at all which sucks.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I usually have different group/projects going on at the same time. Sometimes on my folding TV table has 2, 3, 4 groups to paint different 2nd color or combination. The a larger table has a1/350 USS Florida, trees in different stages. PG has said numerous times I need to get organized. When I gave him a virtual tour a few weeks ago of ‘The Bunker’ including the ‘War Room’. He reiterated the same message. Yet, sometimes I “find something I have not seen in awhile or forget, or ‘something new’”.
If you would like a virtual tour, let know.
Mick wrote, “ Your telling me, none of my LGS's in town, never even heard of GHQ before, and no one (except dougeagle) actually played it at all. in short im stuck.”
What are you trying to communicate?
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Yea, I am still trying to figure out what he is saying and how it relates to what I wrote.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

What im trying to say is the gaming community I was in, has a bad habit of focusing on only one game and avoiding to expand on anything else under the vague assumption that the game is dead, in this case they are only interested in Magic the Gathering and Warhammer 40k, they never even heard of GHQ before except for dougeeagle who does play it, though I have yet to play a single historical game with him, since the last time i talked to Doug was in 2018. he never replied since.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

“ Post by MechCommander » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:56 am”
“What im trying to say is the gaming community I was in, has a bad habit of focusing on only one game and avoiding to expand on anything else under the vague assumption that the game is dead, in this case they are only interested in Magic the Gathering and Warhammer 40k, they never even heard of GHQ before except for dougeeagle who does play it, though I have yet to play a single historical game with him, since the last time i talked to Doug was in 2018. he never replied since.”
Hoth, there … he said all that it in one sentence. Different message entirely.
I did not get that message at all. But that’s okay.
BTW, I hear that there is some planning for an invasion of a country. It is not a firm plan at least as of now. So, everyone, get your defenses ready.
PG, arm those special mines for the defense of GS. But I am certainly not going to attack GS. Too far away.
The attack, invasion is either in the Western Hemisphere or Africa. It sits on the coast.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I also have several projects going at once. None of these is actually finished in the greater picture but I do eventually get my smaller projects done.

I have several large WWII projects going at once. North Africa 1942 British vs Germans, East Front 1942, 43, 44-45 Russians vs. Germans, France and NW Europe 1944-45 Americans and British vs. Germans. I do plan to expand my East Front to include Barbarossa and North Africa to include Tunisia and 1941.

My major projects will probably never be totally completed as I have to determine when it is actually "Done". Will I ever have everything I need for North Africa? Probably not in my lifetime unless that is ALL I focus on. The same is true for the other Theaters as well.

I also have a couple of major Modern projects going on as well. One is my Arab-Israeli 1967 and 1973 Wars projects. The other is my NATO vs Warsaw Pact project. Both of these projects have a long way to go but at least with my Arab-Israel project I have enough vehicles to at least have a fairly small tank on tank battle. With the Cold War project, I need to do quite a bit more to have a basic game in my opinion.

Now of course, within my larger projects, there are numerous smaller projects going on and these I do try to complete at least to the degree I will be able to play a decent game from my larger projects.
For example, I have enough Russian and German infantry to do almost any company level battle. I also have enough Russian and German tanks and some AT guns as well. Of course I want to do more so there is always several small projects going on at once. Some of these have taken a few years to complete I must admit and some are still needing completion after several years.

Here are some of my ongoing smaller projects that will contribute to my larger projects.

German Europe 1943-45.
1. Armored Panzer Grenadier Company. I am working on a bunch of Sdkfz 251C and 251D models right now. My goal is to have 2 companies of halftracks at 1 to 1 for vehicles. I have some German infantry already but will probably need another company at some point.
2. Panthers. I have 6 done and can use them in a game but looking to complete 1 company of these and maybe a second.
3. Tigers. I have lots of either partially painted or totally unpainted Tiger Is and some Tiger IIs.
4. Recon. I have no real recon units for this Theater. I am working on some Sdkfz 250s of various types to help rectify this deficiency.

Russia 1943.
1. Complete my T-34/76 battalion. I have a battalion for the 1942 time frame that could be used for 1943 as well already but one can never have enough T-34s.
2. T-70 company plus battlaion HQ tank. I have 1 but would like to complete the battalion.

NW Europe 1944-45.
1. Complete more Shermans and add some Stuarts. I already have a company plus of M4A1s and M4A3 types. No Stuarts as yet,
2. Finish up my tank destroyer platoon.

Arab-Israeli
1. Egyptian infantry
2. More Israelis. I have 2 battalions of M-48 types per the Fistful of TOWs 3 platoon level game. I want to add some AMX 13s, Centurions, and eventually some Israeli infantry and halftracks.

NATO 1980s.
1. M-1 battalion per FFOT-3.
2. Bradley battalion w. infantry dismounts.
3. British.
4. West German.

Warsaw Pact 1980s.
1. Tanks.
2. Dismounted infantry.
3. Artillery and recon elements.

Terrain. I have three sets of Terrain Maker terrain for my games. Europe Summer, Europe Winter, and Desert. None of these projects is totally completed BUT I have enough done to do a decent game. I need more buildings and want to create some heavier built up areas especially for my Cold War Europe games. I also need more rivers and roads but have enough to do a game.

I could go on and on as there are even more smaller projects either started or at least envisioned. I will probably never get all these done but it is fun to see what I can do.

So...... A bad habit? I think if you are having fun and at least getting some smaller projects done so you can play or at least have a unit to display then it is time well spent. If you are not having fun then perhaps a different hobby might be better. Even though I have lots of projects that need my attention to complete, I am having fun at least.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I have that problem as well. I like to think that I do a pretty job of getting my stuff painted in a timely manner (though usually not a great paint job), but I am always trying to allocate my limited resources to several projects, instead of finishing one thing and then moving on to the next in an orderly, proficient, military manner.

My problem is that I have too many great ideas! My ideas are so great that they just can’t wait, so I start to work on them immediately.

Right now I have a couple big projects. I am building an ACR at 1:1 scale, which is a big, long-term project. But I also have my DD-214 project going concurrently. It’s not 1:1 scale – just the killing stuff – but it’s still a significant drain on my retirement savings. And while I only use them for my imagi-nations, I do have a sizable fleet and air force that needs to be more sizable.

On top of that I have a policy of buying anything that is on the website sale that piques my interest. Unfortunately I find myself with a pack of French tanks or Russian artillery and I feel sudden urges to build a full unit. When building these random units, I use the bigger is better philosophy. A company is good, but a battalion is better, and a brigade is the best of all.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I'm glad to see that I'm in good company. :D

I too have GHQ ADD. I am easily swayed to buy whatever new offering looks interesting although I have managed to keep my interests to micro armor only both modern and WWII.

In the que:

Cold War
Soviets
T54 Battalion
T55 Battalion plus BTR 60 Motor Rifle Company, Recon and SP Artillery
T80 Battalion plus BMP2 Motor Rifle Company, Recon, SP Arty and ADA

DDR NVA
BTR 70 Motor Rifle Battalion, plus T55AM2 Company, Recon, SP Arty and ADA

FRG BW
Leopard 1 Tank Company new sculpts
2 x PZGR Companies

US
J series DivCav Troop
Light DivCav troop
2 x M1A1 Abrams Companies
Stryker Infantry Company
2 x M60A1 Tank Companies
M113 Mech Infantry Company

TWW
Jordan M48 Company replacing incorrect M48A3s with M48A1 model

SADF
Ratel Mech Infantry Company
Centurion Tank Company

Insurgent Forces
BM21 Battery
Technicals
Jeeps with RR

Iran
Chieftain Tank Company plus Recon, Mech Inf Platoon and TOW Jeeps

WWII
US
M4 company awaiting decals
Early Cav Squadron with M3 Scout Cars
Infantry Company
2 x Para infantry companies

UK
Matilda Squadron (Trying a Caunter scheme as a challenge to my painting skills!)

Germany
50mm PAK Battery
2 x Late Infantry Companies

Misc
Bailey Bridge Combat Command
Pontoon Bridge from the other guys
Stone Bridge from the other guys
Bailey Bridge from the other guys
Two different airfields, one modern and one WWII era each with 3 hangers, control tower, workshops and barracks
Ruined industrial area with 20 destroyed factories and other buildings
Middle eastern town 15 sculpts
European city 30 sculpts
Vietnamese Village
Scratch built tank ditches and firing ramps
45? odd emplacements

And probably a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting...
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.