PG Pictures, data, comments & Boot Camp

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

PG Pictures, data, comments & Boot Camp

Post by chrisswim »

P.G. pictures, data, comments, and boot camp.
PG will provide commentary on the two turrets.

Chris

panzergator
E5

Re: PG Pictures, data, comments & Boot Camp

Post by panzergator »

This pic showcases the difference between the M48 and the M60 turrets. The upper, gray, turret is the M48, the lower, tan, turret is the M60. Note how the M48 turret is more clamshell-like. The M60 turret envelopes greater space, being taller, bigger all around. Note the flat top extends further back.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great info, PG! Thanks for sharing! We need more though - how did the fire control of the early M60s compare to the late model M48s? Was it a big leap forward, or a minor improvement? Or maybe no real improvement at all?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The fire control stayed about the same. Coincidence rangefinder, a*n*a*log ballistic computer, backup telescopic sight. Very effective upgunning to 105mm (interestingly, Army considered upgunning M48A3, but Vietnam intervened. After Vietnam, they did that for M48A5). Improved engine, diesel, better mileage/range. The new cupola and M85 50cal was considered an improvement because the gun could be operated from inside more comfortably, whereas the M2 in the M1 cupola on the M48 was much too crowded (crews in Vietnam often welded a pintle mount on the cupola for the M2). The M85 ultimately proved unsatisfactory and was replaced in the M1 tank with the M2 50cal. Aluminum wheels lightened the load by 65lbs each!

There is a whole catalogue of improvements. Take a look at HunnIcutt's "Main Battle Tank" at the local library.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwbolen

Post by jwbolen »

Could you tell us the scale and source of the M60 turret?
J W Bolen

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Snagged from internet, but don't remember my search parameters. I do random searches from time to time. It looks to me the gray M48 is a 1/35 kit from Dragon, as they have several M48 kits. The tan M60 is likely an aftermarket 1/35 kit designed for the Tamiya M60A1 kit. I have one of the latter bouncing around somewhere in the basement, which I will eventually use. Dragon makes an M60 kit. I also made my own using an M48 turret and modeling clay before Dragon issued the kit and while waiting for the aftermarket to arrive.

Let me know if you are going to build an M60. There are some refinements to consider.