Need opponents in Denver metro area

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Wild Geese

Need opponents in Denver metro area

Post by Wild Geese »

Good Afternoon Gamers.

I got into MicroArmor gaming over 30 years ago, while living in Montana.
Would like to pursue the scale hames again, but need mentor / opponents in the Denver metro area to do so.
My particular interest is WWII, but would readily look at all 20th century wars, especially so as to update my knowledge.

Currently have ~1000+ pieces, mainly German & Russian, as well as some US.
Have numerous bridges & buildings, walls & forrest.

Please respond here, or call (no text) 303-257-6267.
Any help would be most welcome.

Wild Geese

redleg
E5

Re: Need opponents in Denver metro area

Post by redleg »

Hi Wild Geese (that was a great movie by the way), have you looked into the Colorado Springs area? It's not Denver metro, but it's not too far either. I haven't been to Fort Carson in 20 years, but when I was stationed there we had some micro armor fans on post. There may be some gamers in the area, or some collectors (and sometimes you can talk the collectors into playing too!) I recall it was about an hour drive to Denver back in the day, but I don't know what condition I25 is in these days or what traffic is like.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Hello redleg,

Thanks for the response - feeling kind of 'lost out here on the prairie' and appreciate any help.
Short answer, Yes, I did consider the Springs - but how?
Tried contacting the hobby shops for which I found contacts, but management help ranged from "none" to "mostly none".

Obviously, would like to find folks closer in - I'm located in SW metro Denver - but could head south, if needed.
Heard an illusion to somebody in the Springs doing WWI in 1/285, and such might be really neat.

So, any other thoughts?

Thanks,
WG

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Correction:

That's "allusion"
And yes, I do know better.

WG

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a good question! I did a quick search and it looks like all the stores and groups from my time at Fort Carson are gone. I still have homeboys on active duty, but I don't think any of them are at Carson. I'll ping them though and see.

Are you on FaceBook? There are several wargaming groups on there that you can join and maybe find some other gamers in the area.

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Again, would appreciate any folks, particularly military folks.
"Not a fan" of any social media - but do, however, have a couple of associates who like that stuff pursuing same for me.
Other thoughts?

By the way, what are you working on, redleg?
Do you still game?

WG

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I haven't been able to find anyone at Carson at the moment. My homies are all retiring or going to Fort Hood! I'll keep an eye out though. I know what you mean about social media. My wife makes fun of me because I rarely post anything on FaceBook these days, but I'll spend hours perusing the gaming and modeling pages. Oh and the Ozzy Man videos are awesome too!

I haven't gamed in years, other than some solo adventures with some imagi-nations. I tried GMing some too, but I haven't quite cracked the code on gaming by e-mail. Yet.

I mostly build modern US land units, but I have some Russian gear and I think I'm going to start on a French battle group pretty soon. My current projects are an armored cavalry regiment (full 100% vehicles) and my DD-224 project are the 4 brigades that I served in (but only the killing stuff - no support vehicles). Oh, and some Korean War aircraft carriers too. I do Modern micronaughts only for the imagi-nations, and all my fixed wing aircraft are 1/600 scale.

What time periods do you model and game? You got any bog projects going on?

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

I began in 1/72 - 1/76 scale, and still have all of those units.
In 1/285, have 1200 + pieces, all WWII, mainly German & Russian, w/a few dozen US.
An aspect of the earlier part of that war which I really like is that the earlier, low velocity arms make for smaller area engagements.
Artillery can "stay on a table", i.e., the artillery doesn't need to 'be' in a room 30' away to land rounds on the tableau.
Also have numerous buildings, etc.

On that note, used to use a 7' x 12' table, with a 'disposable' surface, for the type of gaming surface which I like.
Although I know of many who insist on "let a single vehicle be a company" and such, I only do one-is-one playing.
And, considering that the 'goal' (mine at least) is to do "miniature" gaming, I won't fasten anything beyond small crew-served weapons to a base.
And, will not stick tags on vehicles - learn the history, learn your vehicles - misidentification was a real part of battle, and should, perhaps, be "rewarded . ."
Extremely limited use of any 'markers' on the playing surface - no known existence of 20' high dice behind any tank on any real battlefield . . .
Essentially, I want to engage in a "model" game, and have developed ways to do so.

As to - what was it - "bog" - don't know what that means.
Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

WG

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Sorry that was a typo - I meant to say "big" projects.

Unfortunately none of my home boys at at Fort Carson these days, so I don't have any accurate info on wargaming in that area.

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Redleg!

Big projects?
All on organization & finishing.
Actively seeking someone nearby to game with, and hopefully learn the current state of things from.

Planning on some mass production of insert compartments for the drawers of my Plano 777 cabinet - likely will make 'em of 1/8" foam core plastic.
Looking for a source of 3/8" thick open cell grey foam with which to line said drawers (figuring to notch out for selected vehicles).
Have some, can buy 1K x what I need fron U-line (only need appx. 10 ' sq.) but will not do so, for obvious reasons, so it's a challenge.

And creating a data base on vehicles which would support the direction I'd like to go in.
Don't need to know engine details, but do need armor thickness, speeds, x-country ability, towing capacity, etc. for gaming.
Would like to eventually be having games which are both detailed and smooth & fast moving, with some surprises thrown in.
Weather, bridge capacity, bad stream bed, vehicle failure and such can make for a more interesting experience, I think.

So, 'big' projects?
Surviving life, it seems . . .

WG