"White Tiger"

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Wild Geese

"White Tiger"

Post by Wild Geese »

Accidentally ran into this recently.
A Russkie film (from 1996?) which was rather surprising to me.
Pulled it up on-line (Ooo-tube), no cost, in it's entirety, no commercials.

Entirely subtitled, mostly Russian language (a bit of German at the end is also sub-titled).
Interesting for the vehicles, if nothing else.
Mainly T34/85s, but a few 1940(?) models, a Matlida II, a BT (&?), SU-122s, AT guns, field guns and numerous trucks (ZIS or GAZ).
Their "White Tiger", although obvious to those who know, was reasonable - built a PzKfw VI/I on a later Soviet chassis - initially thought that they were actually trying to depict some weird "super Tiger", but eventually left with a different conclusion.
Oddly, a main character is riding around in an American Jeep rather that a GAZ-67, and many Russians are carrying Schmeissers (captured? in bulk?).
Only saw a single PPSh, late in the film.

Still, lots of great footage of what a T/34 could do to a building - no CG effects.
Lots of interior hull scenes in combat, as well.
And the plot & story were quite well done, well acted as well.
The "White Tiger" itself & the ending were a bit confusing, but I think that I figured it out.
Your thoughts . . .?

WG

Extra Crispy
E5

Re: "White Tiger"

Post by Extra Crispy »

A great movie in the tradition of "Battle of the Bulge." The kit is a mish mash. probably just what they could get their hands on on the cheap. i enjoyed it. It's the kind of movie that would fire up a 13 year old to build tank models.

T-34 is another over the top silly WW2 movie from Russian. Worth seeing, but definitely a 3-drink minimum kind of thing.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Levi the Ox

Re: "White Tiger"

Post by Levi the Ox »

That's a fun one!

I saw "Tankers" shortly after, also a Russian movie set in 1941 iirc, and enjoyed it! Appreciated how much time they spend not fighting, just trying to maintain and repair the tanks.