CELLES & The Wonders of Microarmour. Retheming a hex and counter wargaming

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

wkurniawan

CELLES & The Wonders of Microarmour. Retheming a hex and counter wargaming

Post by wkurniawan »

Hello everyone,
i m sure this has been done before but i have always been very interested in the idea of replacing the boring unit counters of the traditional hex and counter wargames with our splendid microarmour. But I have always been hesitant to do it after considering the multiple challenges that needs to be overcomed to microarmornize (is that even a word? ) a hex and counter wargame. The primary challenge that troubles me is that the hex size on the standard wargame map leaves too little room for microarmour models ,so an area with multiple units will inevitably result in a crammed parking-lot sight, and we have not even talked about games where multiple units are stacked in the same hex! And there is not a lot of information about retheming hex and counter games with microarmour on the web.
But the good news is i came across a cool lil game by the name of Celles by Revolutions Games which is a low density wargame about the Ardennes campaign. After checking out the rules (love the simple and elegant game mechanics) I decided to finally bite the bullet and microarmornize my first ever hex and counter wargame. So, i supersized the original map, redid the original game counters to better accommodate our lovely microarmour and voila! i present to you: CELLES IN MICROARMOUR

++German Commander: Our forces have surrounded you Amercians, surrender so you may live
++American Commander: NUTS!"

I hope i am not the only one with the crazy idea of converting hex and counter wargame with microarmour. Would love to have this become a thread and see other peoples works! :)
*** Oh, a note - this was a collaborative effort between me and a buddy (Hey Ernest are you in this forum?). The American units in the game belongs to him. Yes, i m the filthy fascist .... :|

redleg
E5

Re: CELLES & The Wonders of Microarmour. Retheming a hex and counter wargaming

Post by redleg »

That looks very cool! What did you print the over-size map on?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I have a goal to do the same thing with Axis and Allies Europe and Pacfic. I have a good amount of pieces but not complete. I agree with Redleg, amazing looking pieces. I am currently working on some Late war WWII Germans at the moment.

Also, same question as redleg, how did you print the larger map? Details..
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Also, welcome to the site.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

wkurniawan

Post by wkurniawan »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:25 am
I have a goal to do the same thing with Axis and Allies Europe and Pacfic. I have a good amount of pieces but not complete. I agree with Redleg, amazing looking pieces. I am currently working on some Late war WWII Germans at the moment.

Also, same question as redleg, how did you print the larger map? Details..
that was my original plan too , using infantries and tanks that are in scale will definitely make Axis and allies come alive! but alas, too many miniatures to prepare for (USA,German,USSR,Japan, UK) and again the manouver room on the original map is a problem.
redleg wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:18 pm
That looks very cool! What did you print the over-size map on?
I printed the map on a material we use for outdoor banners...its a bit plasticky , not sure about the exact name of the material.
Hoth_902 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:27 am
Also, welcome to the site.
Thank you comrade :)

madman
E5

Post by madman »

Welcome to the nut house! I have been addicted to micro armour since '73. Although the bulk of my collection is GHQ I buy from every source and the bulk of my infantry/cavalry is H&R.

I really like what you are doing. Not my cup of tea as I have always had a mental issue with using a single tank to represent a platoon or more. But good on you. I do like using micro armour on hex board games (Squad Leader (+Advanced), Conflict of Heroes, etc.) but where the game scale matches so one counter would be one vehicle, weapon or squad.

Anyways good to see people trying out new ideas and please don't hesitate to post. I lurk more than anything but do like catching the cool ideas out there.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Welcome, welcome! Really nice and innovative thing you have there. I’ve always thought about replacing game pieces with war game minis. I used to have an ACW game, Across Five Aprils, that it might have worked for. For myself, I prefer WWII, naval, and black powder stuff, (although I have A modern micronaut in the works sometime soon, wink wink) Welcome to the forum!!!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is really well done wkurniawan! Welcome to the GHQ Forum.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Very cool concept and well executed! Your miniatures look great too. I grew up on the two dimensional cardboard counter games, so there’s always a soft spot for them. But I think that’s what drew me to axis and allies and what makes your concept is a great take. It just makes the game that much more appealing visually. Thanks for posting!

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike »

That is pretty impressive work! Well executed for sure. Although the Luchs is one of my favorite AFVs, the 2nd Panzer's recon battalion was not equipped with any. However, it had a quite a few of the Puma armored cars. The 9th Panzer did have a handful leftover out of the 25 it started with in Normandy.