TUSK 1 & 2 painting.... Advice.

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

chrisswim
E5

TUSK 1 & 2 painting.... Advice.

Post by chrisswim »

I have painted a bunch of TUSK 1 over the years in solid olive drab, solid tan for the desert. Some in 3-tone NATO.
When I do the multi- color camo, I will paint the ERA on the hull side a dark green, leave it medium green or put some different colors on a group of ERA bricks. I just picked up some TUSK 2 from a guy, 2 i think, ... after multi-color camo, what have you painted your side panels and the turret panels? I did not realize the difference between the two. In the desert, the side panels are the same or similar as the mono-chrome of the tank. What do you suggest for Aussie camo or 3-tone NATO camo?
Any of you have a picture to share, either post or send an email.
Thank you
Chris

redleg
E5

Re: TUSK 1 & 2 painting.... Advice.

Post by redleg »

Hey Chris, I don't have any experience with the TUSK tanks, but in my day the ERA armor tiles didn't necessarily match the vehicle's paint job because they were added on later. I dug through my stuff and the only pics I have of ERA is on a Bradley. This is one of our mech infantry sections in Iraq. Believe it or not, the Brads are painted in the NATO 3-color camo underneath all that dirt!

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

My guess/theory is that all most of the US ERA is tan for the desert, especially in urban areas. Would the appliqué/ERA be applied in Europe?

Chris

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Guys, I delete a file of 400 pictures from my hosting site … Awe @#%$& …. I thought I was only deleting the picture, please for give me.
Here are pictures of the TUSK 2, I am thinking to leave the appliqué in the olive drab, base color. If I have a second company, I may paint the appliqué in a dark green, etc.
here are pictures, I do welcome feedback:

Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

I'm not sure of the shelf-life of ERA bricks, but I suspect there's quite a backlog of ERA in the CARC Tan. We may see new ERA produced in olive drab or forest green, but I suspect this will take some time to be filtered out to active units. As it's considered live ordnance, I doubt it would be permitted to be repainted by units in the field either. Although, I have been wrong before :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Splod wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:37 am
I'm not sure of the shelf-life of ERA bricks, but I suspect there's quite a backlog of ERA in the CARC Tan. We may see new ERA produced in olive drab or forest green, but I suspect this will take some time to be filtered out to active units. As it's considered live ordnance, I doubt it would be permitted to be repainted by units in the field either. Although, I have been wrong before :mrgreen:

Splod, I appreciate your insight and thinking.
Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

chrisswim wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:12 am
Splod, I appreciate your insight and thinking.
And to be honest, from a modelling perspective... The tan bricks make for really nice contrast on green tanks :wink:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams