Jagdpanther Camo

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Jagdpanther Camo

Post by Beagle »

That’s how I paint as well. Multiple very thin coats, and depending on what stage of painting I’m in, it depends on how the coat is applied. When I’m base coating, or applying initial colors of camo, I mix my very thin, and apply usually two very thin layers with plenty of drying time in between. The thin paint allows it to level and eliminate brush strokes, and sink into recessed detail, but it’s not so thick that it covers detail. Once the base colors are finished, I start kind of working back in a way, and paint by dry brushing successively lighter layers to highlight and blend, as well as make everything look smooth. If there’s any decals, I add them before a final dry brushing tone them down make them blend a little.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Beagle and pmskaar, Do you guys cook all your models when done?
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I have never baked a model. I’ve seen the results from those that do, and it looks like it produces amazing results and I get the premise, but I’ve always been a modeler that’s never in a rush, so I give my paint ample curing time, and I ALWAYS make sure to clear clear coat, so I’ve just never felt the need. Not saying that baking equals being in a rush, but between coats, I set minis to the side for curing time. It seems like with Vallejo at least, as it cures, it ‘snuggles’ and tightens ups. But it’s very fragile, rubbing with you’re fingers for a few seconds will take the paint off, that’s why clear coating is so important. Closest I’ve come is using heat to fix warping.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

I do bake my models at various stages. Although not in a particular hurry, like Beagle, I still bake. It is important to me that I bake the model after applying and being perfectly satisfied that everything is as good as I can get it. The baking does evaporate any residual turpentine residue on the model. I also bake after priming and undercoating as well.

Of course you don't have to do all these additional steps. I do because I am OCD or something and I want to be sure the paint is really on there and won't get rubbed off. A clear dullcoat on the model helps in this regard as well.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

PMskaar: First things first, I live in the OCD world. I am an engineer and i cannot help myself. So I get it. Its also why I have over 800 pieces and not one piece is fully complete and sealed with clear coat. They all are in various stages of completion. Of which are probably done enough for 90 % of the people on this forum... LOL...

I have heard of a lot of people baking here models.. I just have never really been brave enough to try. I find myself often held back by unfounded fear and then once I do what I am afraid of, I am like... wow that was not so bad. See my post on tank emplacements. I was sitting on that kit for over a year before I just said F it... and then put some paint on it.

Beegle: I really need to clear coat my models.. Especially with my stock of paint they were painted with, dwindling.. Dang you Rustoleum and killing the model masters line. Why they bought that company and killed the line, I will never ever understand. Though some 40K people use there rattle cans to paint stuff, I don't see how they were in the same market and needed to be bought out and killed. I don't get what they got from Testors in that purchase... That's just me.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I clear coat but I hate how it affects my finish - giving it at times a “wet” look if I’m not careful…

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Burtwolf,. Do you use gloss or dull clear coat. If it's dull, it still leaves a wet look?

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I use a dull coat but if I mistakenly over apply, which is easy to do, it gets a wet look that darkens the colors and - in my eye- gives a little shine to things. Sometimes it’s not noticeable, other times it looks like the piece sat through a spring rain. I admit it’s user error. But you have to have something in there to protect your paint job and I’m just not familiar with baking the minis…

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I’ve stopped using rattle can dull clear on my minis, just for the reason you said, it’s almost impossible to control the amount. Unless you’re the right distance and get the perfect tap on the nozzle, it’s way too much. I do use my airbrush for clear coating, Mr Color flat clear is great, but since my nearest hobby shop is that in name only, they hardly have any stock of MC, and never any clears. So since I have to order online, I don’t use it for just a few minis, I’ll either wait until I have a batch to spray, or, more likely, I spray a few when I’m clear coating plastic model parts.