Patton tanks et al

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Patton tanks et al

Post by panzergator »

Received my copy of Michael Green's Images of War The Patton Tank Cold War Warrior. EXCELLENT BOOK! More readable than Hunnicutt, well-organized, thorough discussion on the evolution of the 48, if you are interested in the correct model for your particular war. Covers from the M26, which is the Pershing, M46 - the beginning of the Patton line, through to M48A5. The US Army didn't often refer to the tanks by "Patton," but many other countries, as well as authors and journalists did. Some discussion of the participation in various conflicts. Even the cover is interesting, with M48A3s in MERDC camo, which I can only guess is a Marine Reserve unit, as MERDC came along in mid '70s and didn't last long before 3-color NATO and s
desert sand became the norm. Good pics, many I've seen other places. More decipherable than Hunnicutt. Great details.

If you are interested in M48s, this is a good one.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Vergeltungswaffe

Re: Patton tanks et al

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

Thanks for the review.

Love me some 48's so I'll have to pick that one up.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Did the Patton name end with the M48s? For some reason I thought the M60 tanks bore that name as well.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

M60 models continued to be referred to as Patton as well, most notably by the Israelis, as well by authors and media. US crews and references tended to avoid the nickname, preferring the M number or a further shortening, such as "60," "A1," etc. I don't know what the common practice is these days with the M1 Abrams.

As pointed out in the book, the M26, the progenitor of the line, was nicknamed "Pershing," the "Patton" appellation being first applied to the M46 and ensuing generations, through M60A3.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks, PG! Great info!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much for the review, Panzergator. It definitely sounds like it would be of interest.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Gents, I recently inherited a bunch of military history books from my uncle, some on very specific topics. I don’t follow all those topics so …

Offering - free - used small paperback copy of the The Tank Commanders Guide, 2d edition, by the US Army Armor Human Resource Unit, 1960, 476 pp. Bunch of details/familiarization on M42, M48, M48A2, and M60 including really detailed photos. Not my bailiwick, and seeing your interest in these tanks, I’d pass it on. Just let me know you sent me a PM with your address.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Sending PM!