My 3D printer just arrived!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Extra Crispy
E5

My 3D printer just arrived!

Post by Extra Crispy »

Looks like I'll be spending Father's day playing with my new toy. First print job: tree bases. I have loads of cheap trees that come without bases, and I need to single base a hundred or so. This will let me print simple bases overnight.

First real print job will be a gasoline station in 1:285. I downloaded the files from Thingiverse the other day....

Updates as events warrant....
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PolishGI
E5

Re: My 3D printer just arrived!

Post by PolishGI »

Awesome news! Good luck.

Once I figured out the art of the 3d printer, I went into 3d drawing for 1/285. After you draw it, then you can print that as well! Quite a few pieces for the Vietnam era.

Post what you get done!

Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Step one: got it assembled without breaking anything or gluing it to my fingers. Manual is worthless but I found an excellent Youtube vid on putting it together. After I run a few errands, I'm going to level the bed and do a test print.
Mark Severin

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Extra Crispy wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:44 pm
Step one: got it assembled without breaking anything or gluing it to my fingers. Manual is worthless but I found an excellent Youtube vid on putting it together. After I run a few errands, I'm going to level the bed and do a test print.
The piece of info I can pass along is after you have it assembled, test it out and see what you think. Is the leveling manual? Or automatic?

Also, keep in mind... depending on the model/brand you picked up, you will most likely have to "upgrade" several components. I have the Ender 3 Pro and VERY much disliked the standard/stock parts that came with it. So I did a little research and the aftermarket world has been very generous. So I probably ordered another $50-60 in parts, took apart everything, replaced the parts and re-assembled. I could not be happier now.

Prints are more precise and I find that I only have to level the bed now once every 6 months maybe? Prior to that, I was having to level the bed every 4-5-6th print which gets frustrating. So keep that in mind or under consideration.

Love my 3d printer... Good luck and post what you print.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

I chose some tree bases as a test print. I need 100 or so but the test is just 5. So far i can't get them to stick to the bed, so I am monkeying around with leveling etc.
Mark Severin

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Definitely keep us up to date, Mark! Post some pics once you get it running!

I have a filament printer and it's not very good for printing micro armor, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

I only intend to print terrain anyway.

So far I have not been able to get a successful print. I've levelled the bed and cleaned it but the filament just won't stick. So tonight I'll be looking at various troubleshooting videos/sites...
Mark Severin

E5

Post by 7.62 »

I have access to a basic Ender 3 pro with no upgrades. No access to a resin one yet.
It has not been leveled in over a Month and still works fine, it is on a good solid base (if its not broke don't fix it). The two big issues I noted at first was having a nice clean base to start and the heat settings.
Some files seemed (to me) to have way too low a temp for the nozzle and base plate.
I now find a sweet spot of 205-210 for the nozzle and 70-75 for the base works most of the time. I adjust and print at that.
Room temp and humidity might also be at play as this will effect the filament, you may have to experiment a bit to see what sticks in your part of the World.
The type/make of filament you use may have set limits for best use too.
I do not use for micro armour as such (save for civil type engineering veh) but I can print tiny cranes, submarines, aircraft and lots of city buildings (1/2400).
If there is something I really want that GHQ does not yet make I'll have a crack at it.

J-20.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

7.62 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm
I have access to a basic Ender 3 pro with no upgrades. No access to a resin one yet.
It has not been leveled in over a Month and still works fine, it is on a good solid base (if its not broke don't fix it). The two big issues I noted at first was having a nice clean base to start and the heat settings.
Some files seemed (to me) to have way too low a temp for the nozzle and base plate.
I now find a sweet spot of 205-210 for the nozzle and 70-75 for the base works most of the time. I adjust and print at that.
Room temp and humidity might also be at play as this will effect the filament, you may have to experiment a bit to see what sticks in your part of the World.
The type/make of filament you use may have set limits for best use too.
I do not use for micro armour as such (save for civil type engineering veh) but I can print tiny cranes, submarines, aircraft and lots of city buildings (1/2400).
If there is something I really want that GHQ does not yet make I'll have a crack at it.

J-20.
Good stuff.
Chris

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Just got my first successful print. Nothing fancy, just a tree base (mass production is next).
Mark Severin

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I’m able to print some amazing things so far.
Use 3D builder free from Microsoft.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

So, having got the thing set up and working, I printed a tree base:

Now it just needs brown paint and flock and in to the forest it goes. Tonight I printed the base part of a gasoline station. Tomorrow I will print the roof, gas pumps, etc.

Mark Severin

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

My latest models

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

nashorn88 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:25 am
My latest models
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/bp ... ieND24Ef_n

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Good thread - I bought a Prusa filament printer a while back and was having, initially, trouble with it. I got very busy with my business and have not revisited it yet. But this thread is inspired me to get back on it and troubleshoot. Seemed like my nozzle was clogging although I don’t know what that could be a function of… Please keep us updated and good luck!