Anyone else a collector of rule sets?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Extra Crispy
E5

Anyone else a collector of rule sets?

Post by Extra Crispy »

I collect rule sets as a hobby in its own right, and keep a shopping list/inventory here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Anyone else do this?
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

whenimaginationfails
E5

Re: Anyone else a collector of rule sets?

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Extra Crispy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:23 pm
I collect rule sets as a hobby in its own right, and keep a shopping list/inventory here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Anyone else do this?
Do I have rules I haven't played? Yes.

Are they listed in a nice spreadsheet? No. Only the miniatures get that level of care. ;-)

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I admire your level of organization, Mark! I have a lot of rulesets in my "collection", but that's not by design. It's mostly because I keep looking for that perfect ruleset and I can never find it. I will find something very close to what I want, and then my ADD kicks in and I decide that I'm looking for something totally different.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

@Redleg: next time, PM me with what you're looking for. I own over 1000 sets of rules. there's a good chance I can give you the lowdown on what you might be considering!
Mark Severin

madman
E5

Post by madman »

I am on the exact same page as redleg. Only get another hoping it handles specific circumstances the "right" way.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

If you're a bit ADD about rules, my best suggestion is this. Buy a set like Fistful of TOWs or Mein Panzer that has complete date/stat lists. Then tweak the rules to suit. That way you can write a formula for factors. For example, you might write a different morale system. So from teh rules you have you decide to multiply all morale factors by 1.5 and use a D10, or whatever....
Mark Severin

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

I used to grab any ruleset that came out that I thought could be fun to play, but this behaviour has changed significantly in recent years. I've found Fistful of TOWs has become my 'default system' and other systems just aren't as enjoyable. There are a few changes I've played around with, such as introducing map-based order planning from Modern Crossfire, or the patrol system from Chain of Command, but FFoTIII does more or less everything I need it to. I also don't get much time to play these days between uni, work and two little ones, so I rather get rules I know well on table than try and learn a new ruleset for every game.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

WARdROBE

Post by WARdROBE »

I like this approach very much.
Splod wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:47 am
I used to grab any ruleset that came out that I thought could be fun to play, but this behaviour has changed significantly in recent years. I've found Fistful of TOWs has become my 'default system' and other systems just aren't as enjoyable. There are a few changes I've played around with, such as introducing map-based order planning from Modern Crossfire, or the patrol system from Chain of Command, but FFoTIII does more or less everything I need it to. I also don't get much time to play these days between uni, work and two little ones, so I rather get rules I know well on table than try and learn a new ruleset for every game.