Aug 2022 Price Rise

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: Aug 2022 Price Rise

Post by Brigade Commander »

I found a 3D printer for GHQ. The US Navy has one on the Wasp-class LHD-2 USS Ess*x. It prints in metal at up to 10" x 10". They are testing using it for both ship and aircraft parts while on the RIMPAC-2022 exercises and beyond. If successful they are looking to roll them out to all ships to reduce parts inventory. Need a valve? Print it! Need a plane panel latch? Print it!

The article is on the Defense One website.

If it succeeds the Navy will be ordering them like crazy. Probably in waves. Within a year or so it should drive down the unit cost to where it might be approachable for GHQ. And we can still have stuff in METAL!! And for GHQ I would think it would reduce development time and cost. Maybe they could even take submissions from Customers.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Jay Leno has a few videos for his auto garage having group of guys with 3-D printer work on repairing/replacing a part that he is unable to get since the car is 90 years old.
Chris

nash88

Post by nash88 »

Imagelynx by nashorn88, on Flickr

So this is my Lynx design. Its base on the Hungarian prototype . I'm a novice using 3D builder yet able to turn this from drawing board to model within a month. Oh yea I'm lazy too. If I want I can remove and change turrets aux MG etc..... and print.
So yes GHQ can make a lot more items in a short time and sell in resin 1st then offer metal one too.
Not worth spending $500+ just to make a few hundred items. Chris, myself and a few others 3D is the way to go since we doing armies scale.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I'm going to 3D printing. I don't wargame, so delicacy is not such an issue. I LIKE GHQ products, but cost, for me, is getting impractical. I can also make things which I can't get from a company. Oh, sometimes I can get it from Shapeways, but, for instance, GOERs in the quantity I require from them are a ridiculous amount of money and I can commission an stl for far less. And I know Facebook is the preferred site, but the folks on the forum, who participate a LOT, are just being ignored. I beliece I'm fading away
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

GOER? I printed hundreds of them. The STL is free. Lots of options with it too. I’ll post a pic trm

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

NAS, from where did you get the stl? I've been looking.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

panzergator wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:12 pm
Oh my bad I made the mk48. But if you can wait I can make a STL of one for you.

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

panzergator wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:12 pm
It's not free, and it's 1/100th rather 1/285th but there's a M520 GOER file on wargaming3d.com for $4.00. I've not played with 3d editing so I don't know how easy it would be to re-size.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

gazza, nashorn, thank you both. nas, I'm happy to compensate you for the stl. I've commissioned three others and it's well-worth it. My son converts from other scales. A 1/100 scale stl is converted at 35%. We have done that successfully. He just hasn't had much time of late.