Aug 2022 Price Rise

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Aug 2022 Price Rise

Post by Hoth_902 »

Looks like I am late to this conversation. I do feel that 3D printing will continue to cut into GHQs market for two reasons. I think they main reason is the Depth of there kit portfolio. Though I think cost plays a part in the attraction of 3D printing vs GHQ, I feel a bigger attraction is to get the things that GHQ does not make. That is not to down play the draw of cheaper miniatures, which is probably an issue for new people to the hobby, but the easy of getting anything you want or need is probably a bigger draw. Once you are ok with having pieces that are 3D printed, with less detail, then its not hard to warm up to idea of lower quality for a great price. At least that is my feeling. For me, 3D printing needs to come along way. I feel that 3D models can be produced in metal, I think that is where GHQ should go. At my current job, I saw a 3D metal print of a rook. It was about an 1" tall and it looked amazing. If I remember, it did not have the line that you see in the resin and plastic printers and it had tons of detail. It had recess stone lines up the side of the rook and it was hollow with a spiral stair case through the middle and windows. You could see the spiral stair case through the hollow middle, from the open hole in the top of the stair case.

I think there will always be a market for GHQ miniatures, in there current form. Just not sure if the market will be large enough to stain them and still make a profit.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

One big point, if GHQ was to get into the 3D printer game, they would probably cease to be a miniature company. They would have to become an STL company. The low coast of 3D printers would make it really hard, over time, to compete by selling 3D printed items. It would be a niech market for people who don't own a printer. If going the 3D printed miniature rout, it makes a lot of sense to invest in being able to print the amount you want or need. Plus, I imagine that there is so many people printing models, that ghq would be hard pressed to compete.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

As long as GHQ continues to produce excellent 1/2400 scale WW2 naval miniatures made of fine metals, including at an increased but still reasonable price, I will continue to be a customer. If GHQ decides to ever go the way of 3D printing for 1/2400 scale WW2 naval miniatures, I will not be a customer. I hope they continue with the formula that has kept me as a long-time customer, regardless of occasional price increases.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I have no issue paying a little more due to the quality of the product. I use the models for gaming and collecting, but I’m not a painter that cranks out mass quantities in short periods of time, I prefer taking my time for less models and more detail, therefore I only place maybe four or five orders a year, so not a major issue.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

We ride together, we die together. GHQ to the end. So far, I have been able to absorb the price increases. I agree, as long as I can do that, I am in to the end.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

There are a lot of interesting business decisions for GHQ (and others) to make.

For example, what will be the new break even on non-army items (by which I mean vehicles that are not really used in games). If there's a radio van or ambulance that is "rear areas only" but we need them for our 1:1 tank regiment....will more gamers choose to print those for a few pennies and live with less detail (though the detail is getting better rapidly). Right now they sell them in packs so that helps. But think about companies who sell singly....

Or is it the other way round? Imagine a new gamer who has a printer and likes the look of 6mm: will he plump for metal or just print "good enough?" Leaving metal for things that just don't print well? I inherited several kilos of lead and that got me on the tank regiment. But if I had to buy all that kit I would never have undertaken the project. Even so I have to 3D print ambulances and am looking for Zil 130 STL files. Even if I BUY an STL file for a vehicle, it is still cheaper than GHQ (I can print a 1/285 tank for about a dime). So GHQ might focus on odd ball vehicles.

It's a fun new world.

One note about durability: some resins are more robust than others. But that's much less of a concern when I can replace broken vehicles almost for free....
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Not surprised given the current economy and I just appreciate the heads up so I can get an order in before the price increase. First and foremost, to echo Hoth, GHQ all day til the end. Second, how much is cost an issue for the serious micro armor hobbyist? Yeah it’s not fun to pay more, but those perfectionists/purists (like me) always will… I know guys whose hobbies (cars, guns you name it) far out pace the expense of their houses etc. and I’m willing to bet that most people into micro armor are older and have incomes better suited to be disposable….

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Until they retire...
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

One thing that’s not true is the detail of the new 3D printer items. I with no prior experience in designing am able to make decent looking 1/285 mini.
There’s also a lot of free STL that offer incredible details.
If you look at a few of the postings I made you could see the level I’m talking about.
But it’s not for everyone. If I only need a few hundred items I would not buy a 3-D printer.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I don’t really see a lot younger people getting in to miniature at all. Everybody seems to be happy in the digital word where they just play the games and unlike us that enjoy painting and organizing.

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

Extra Crispy wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:09 am
and am looking for Zil 130 STL files.
Have you tried the STLFinder website?
One note about durability: some resins are more robust than others.
I don't think that the main bulk of a model is an issue, but I'm wondering how long thin parts (like gun barrels) cope with being manhandled in actual games. I was given a KV-5 (from Shapeways) whose gun barrel had snapped off. Not being too fussy, I replaced it with the barrel (well part of it) from a spare Heroics & Ros 17cm K18. With a GHQ Leo II and a H&R Tiger I for scale.

nash88

Post by nash88 »

ImageIMG_4711 by nashorn88, on Flickr
My lynx with gau-19 .50 but I could easily change it.
That's 3D printing today.
ITs not even the best resolution printer this are from a Saturn 4K but they make a 8K.
Took me a few hours ok maybe more since I'm lazy to make using 3D builder program.
Able to print 40 in 2 hrs.
That's what mini companies are facing today.
Cost of everything needed to start is about $500 so not for everyone.
I feel GHQ can print and sell items like trucks and other softskin to anyone that doesn't want to print on their own.

nash88

Post by nash88 »

ImageIMG_4712 by nashorn88, on Flickr

Oh I forgot I make all my mini in GHQ style with exaggerated bolts. Other people don't like it but I don't care.

nash88

Post by nash88 »

Image29a869692b778f945da3c3b891f2e3ec_preview_featured by nashorn88, on Flickr
Another free STL and it prints out as is. NO assembly needed. 1 1/2 hours you can make 40 at one time.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Nash88, I take back what I said about the quality being lowered. I do remember you posting pictures of some really great stuff. I officially retract my statement. Also, I too don't mind exaggerated tools and bolts, that add to the detail of the piece. By the way, do all the little lines clean up once you primer and paint or are you stuck with them. Funny, I can cope with oversized bolts and exaggerated tools, but cannon deal with the lines.