Aug 2022 Price Rise

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

recon110

Aug 2022 Price Rise

Post by recon110 »

Any news on the increase. Got an email today.
David Farrell

pibber
E5

Re: Aug 2022 Price Rise

Post by pibber »

:(
Pibber.
(Long life to GHQ !)

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Dang, I just received the same email. I kind of expected it. So, it looks like on August 22nd, GHQ is going to raise prices. To be honest, I am very surprised it hasn't been announced sooner to increase prices. Everything is going to cost more....America needs to get ready. This is the new Left Word Order according to the White House (heard this on TV from the White House spokesperson). Thanks! :evil:

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Not surprising but not welcome either. Kind of thin on details though. At least the previous two increases listed the new price points and percentage increases in the announcement. Makes me wonder if they are going to wait until the last second to decide just how much.

Was looking forward to ordering 3-36 Inf(M) at a sale price. Now the regular price is the sale price. I am sure I said this for the last two as well. Deja vu all over again. Battalion HQ plus five companies minus a couple handfuls of wheeled vehicles surplus from earlier purchases is going to hurt a little more. Add in infantry packs for the dismounts. Still you know GHQ is hurting more. Last round of the current New Releases not yet announced. No unveiling of the next cycle. Not a good sign. Here is hoping GHQ is waiting trying to minimize the increase rather than maximize it. Either way I would rather GHQ survive and continue to be the source of all these great models.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

DAK
E5

Post by DAK »

I understand the price increase, everything has gone up. I would rather pay more than have GHQ start deleting items or stop releasing new items. Could you imagine if GHQ went out of business! No one even comes close to the detail of their products or the huge inventory they have. I have been a loyal customer of GHQ since 1983. They have always been there for me with all their excellent products, so I will be there for them no matter the cost.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Not having Micronauts would be a huge hit to my hobby world. Yeah, there’s others out there, but nothing is close to the range or detail.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Me too. I can't imagine the hobby without GHQ. I have over the years replaced many 1/2400 scale models I had purchased from other manufacturers once GHQ produced the models. They are the best! I have even held off purchasing 3D printing of models since I rather like the metals ships much better. The email I received mentioned that the increased costs of production has really been hurting them and that this price increase is overdue. If GHQ is going to survive, they must increase their prices. Not good news, but that is the sign of the times with an economy as bad as we have it. I read yesterday that this past quarter was the worst one for the stock market since the 1870s! Things in America are bad!

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

At this point my needs/wants are small (pun intended). GHQ is already top of the market, this will push them up even more so, though I expect everyone else will follow suit.

I was already sourcing elsewhere for items I only need one of - I can't justify the price when I only need 1 or 2 models, not 5. But I like GHQ enough that my multi-model buys will be GHQ. Looking ahead, I'd guess I might buy another dozen packs this year. So if the price goes up even $2 that's just $24 of hobby money over 7 months.

But for people who buy in bulk ( and you know who you are)....ouch.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Orion320

Post by Orion320 »

I have been buying from GHQ since 1976. Their quality is continually improving. Their range of products is vast. Their customer service is very good. No one comes close to them in these areas. The price increase is surely justified by current economic conditions. It has yet to be seen how large this increase will be. However, if GHQ is to remain viable, they will require the support of their loyal customers. I hope they continue to produce their items and add as many new items as can be justified in these times. It would be a great loss for GHQ to cease operations. I would like to have them communicate more often regarding new releases, explaining reasons for delays, and such. It wouldn't require a lot to keep everyone posted and I am pretty sure they'd get positive feedback. Best of luck to you, GHQ, in these troubled times.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It may be time for GHQ to invest in a 3D scanner and a bank of 3D printers.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

panzergator wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:17 am
It may be time for GHQ to invest in a 3D scanner and a bank of 3D printers.
Until they start printing in pewter I dearly hope not. I cannot stand the plastic that they come in. They are brittle, brittler & brittlest. Not to mention light, lighter & lightest. Catzilla sneezes anywhere in the house and the the little plastic vehicles are flying around the room. I realize I have zero vote on that issue but a resounding NO! PLEASE.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

I agree. No plastic for me either. If I want plastic (resin), there are plenty of places to go.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Plastic is fine for 28mm, there are some really nice figures out there in plastic as well as metal. But for stuff as small as Micro Armor and Micronauts, it’s metal only. If for no other reason, any of the ships I’ve seen in this scale in plastic don’t even come close to the fineness of detail.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I have been buying GHQ and CinC for the last 50 yrs. I feel GHQ should offer volume discounts. I know b4 they wanted to protect the retailers but face it not many hobby shops left. Most of their sales must be online but I could be wrong.
I also feel GHQ should offer resin and metal. I prefer metal but after accepting resin FOW and bolt action resin I don’t mind it with 1/285 resin either.
Who wants to pay the same price for a truck when u can have a tank?
I purchased a 3D printer just to produce soft skin items like keep, motorcycle etc. But now I’m able to produce items not made by anyone else. Unbelievable detail too. I design them to be hollow so I add lead pellets to give them some weight.
Sad but I kinda think 3D printers are going to put a lot of miniature and model companies out of business unless they are able to change with the times. Hope I’m wrong.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Re-read "It may be.". Not " It is..." I like the pewter stuff, too, but since I collect at mostly battalion-size units, the price is becoming prohibitive, at least in perception. 54 tanks for a battalion is 11packs, $153.00 at current rate before tax and shipping. It won't be long before I'll catch myself saying "Nah, not going to do that.

So far, 3D resin printing is just good enough, not nearly GHQ quality. If it were a commercial metal company offering, I would pass. So there is a bit of work to do on fine detail and, the brittleness of the material. Those is obstacles to overcome for GHQ. The latter isn't so much of a problem for me - no gaming. I can get things GHQ won't/can't make for business reasons.

I've been buying GHQ since '78, soI'm a fair-to-middlin' fan, too. Haven't won the lottery, though.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.