NEW LIST FOR UPCOMING YEAR

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: NEW LIST FOR UPCOMING YEAR

Post by redleg »

There is some really cool stuff on the list, but nothing that I feel like I must have. Not that I won't be spending money on GHQ though - I still have a ton to buy for my current projects. Maybe I can get at least one of those projects done before next year's list comes out!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Dang no new Canadian stuff. not even modern ships.

STS

Post by STS »

There are a few interesting ones in there, but no really big purchases for me.

I'm definately going to be buying 4 packs of the French destroyers (should cover all 12 of them) as well as a few packs of FH-70, for my German cold-war collection. It'll be interesting what kind of tractor they're going to be delievered with. Current Italian (Iveco Astra), cold-war German/current Ukraine (MAN Kat) or Italian cold-war (Fiat 6605). The S-100 are interesting as well, depending how many there are per pack, I might replace my 3d-printed ones with them.

The 1029 was a pretty curious inclusion, since there weren't too many of them and their impact was limited. Both as a merchant and attack transport, I could think of a few more types that were more iconic. Perhaps someone at GHQ had a personal connection to the 1029. I'll probably get one to use it in it's inter-war "Pacific Mail" liveries.

Shark73

Post by Shark73 »

I'm very happy to see that GHQ starting the Taiwan navy line that I've been longing for. Yet I'm not too sure if there are any external differences between the Kidd Class and Kee Lung class, also Knox class vs Chi Yang class (maybe only additional RIM-66 launchers for the latter). IMHO their La Fayette class should be of higher priority than Chi Yang class given that there are no substitutes over the French ships but Chi Yang can be represented by Knox.

I also like
CM-21 APC
CM-23 81 mm mortor
CM-25 TOW
PLZ-05
which are all great additions to the Taiwan Strait scenario. Thank you GHQ team!

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

MechCommander wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:18 pm
Dang no new Canadian stuff. not even modern ships.
I was a bit the same when I saw no Australian or Israeli releases.

As I'm focussing on my '67 and '73 wars projects, the only releases I'm probably going to pick up are:
R78 - M1937 ML-20
W133 - T-62 w/KMT-5 mine roller

I'm still really tempted to do modern Ukraine, but I've got too much in the stockpile to branch into a new period/region. Particularly as I'd need new terrain too.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

There is some good stuff for me this time around.

British Heavy Weapons 2 - Hopefully will include the Vickers MG and 3 Inch Mortar and maybe a corrected 2 Inch Mortar without the bipod.
Churchill VI. Could this really be a Churchill IV? That was the most numerous Churchill produced and used by the Soviet Union as well as Great Britain during WWII. A Churchill V turret or two thrown into the pack would be really cool. This is the one with the short 95 gun. Only 200 Churchill VI's were made so hoping this is a typo.
Ba-6 A similar type of armored car to the Ba-10 but earlier.
BT-7 The earlier type I assume.
M1937 ML20. This is an earlier type 152mm towed gun and very common in WWII.
M4 Sherman w. M4A1 Mantlet. GHQ has done most of the Shermans now and this is welcome by me at least.

Most of these have been on my request list and I am happy to see them come. I will be getting some of these.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Gater,
I’m building a mid 80s functional generic US Corps using a mix of H and J series TOE using platoon scale ( like Command Decision rules one vehicle =4to 6)
I’ve got two H series Mech Divisions(5th and 24th) . I ve got a J series Armored division (2nd Hell on Wheels ) , I’ve made a notional (as it was originally designed ) 9th Motorized with FAVs ,Humvees , LAV-25s, V-150s and motorcycles . Then I created the 82nd Airborne in its H series guise with Jeeps , Gamma Goats , deuce and a half’s etc . I’m also working now on the 3rd ACR in its H series form with the M-60A1s and M-113s.
The 5th and 24th ID s are also both equipped in their mid eighties form with the M-60A3s, M113s and M901s. All their rolling stock are five tons, deuce and a half’s , gamma goats and Jeeps .
The 2AD is fully equipped with basic 105mm M-1s and M-2A0 Bradley’s . With that the division got HEMMETs for its armor bns, DIVARTY DS bns and the MLRS battery . 2AD also transitioned it’s aviation Bn into the AviationBrigade and it’s attack helicopter Bn got Apaches.
The 5th, 24th and 82nd still has Cobras and their aviation element is still designated as a Combat Aviation Bn
The 9th had an aviation brigade (or at that time an air cavalry brigade ) and mine has an attack and an air cav Bn with Cobras and a GS/ assault Bn with Blackhawks . The assault Bn in the 82nd has Blackhawks as well . The CAB in the 5th, 24th and the 2nd have mixtures of Blackhawks, Kiowas, and Hueys .
As you say “an instant shot in time” my project would reflect sometime between 1984-1987.
I’m also working on two Corps Artillery brigades . One is heavy with 109s, 110s, Lance and MLRS as well as a lighter brigade with towed 198s and another MLRS Bn .
My Corps ADA is more like a task force with a reinforced HAWK bn .
My Corps Aviationis more like a group in size with a couple of lift cos of Blackhawks, and a couple of cos of Chinooks. They were still trying to put aviation brigades together in that time period and the corps attack bns hadn’t all made the transition to AOE and Apache at that time .

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

That sounds like quite a project! Are you SURE you don't want to do 1:1!!!?

I'm doing 1:1, slightly earlier, more '60 to '86. 3AD - 1 battalion of initial model M60, 2 battalions of M60A1s, 2 battalions of A2s, and 1 battalion of A3s. Mech is 1 Gseries, 4 H series, and 1 J seies, the J series bn having M113A2 from CinC. 4AD is a bit more ad hoc, with 1 M60 bn, 1 M60A1 bn, 2 M60A2 bns, an M48A5 bn (NG), an M60A3 bn, and a Marine M60A1 bn with add-on armor. Kinda cobbled together... The mech is worse - 2 M59 bns (E series TOE), 2 M113A1 bns, a Marine LAV infantry bn (very early), and an Army motorized bn in V150s. I've a separate armored bde of 2 M1A1bns and 2 M2 bns (NOT combined arms bns) and another separate armored brigade of 2 MBT70 bns and a YPR mech bn. Got a lot of work yet on arty, as I only have one Divarty. Have three AH bns, 2 of AH56 and on of AH67. More aviation work to do, too. The divisions each have Sheridan-era cavalry squadrons and corps has a USAREUR ACR squadron and two recon battalions of 54 Sheridans (awaiting the vehicles to form squadrons). Most of the remaining work will likely be 3D printed.

But I'm more interested in the battalion-level TOE changes over the years, along with evolution of camouflage from OD to NATO. That is why the variety of vehicles. My intended range is combat vehicles from Pentomic era up through early J series.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I'm struggling to get brigades put together and you guys are over here talking about divisions and corps!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Goodness, going 1:1 would most definitely be a chore! I’m finding 1:4 is pretty tough in its own right .

Gater, where are you finding M-59s ? I’ve got a pretty good number of M-48s and that would be great to do an early sixties 2nd Armor Division . Wish GHQ had some M-44 SPH’s, some M-38 Jeeps, M-211GMC trucks and some M-37 weapons carriers .
I’m finding out too, that the H series ROAD Mech and Armor Divs had 11 maneuver bns vs 10 in the AOE Divs.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

But, Redleg, YOU are doing ALL the vehicles. I do one complete battalion of armor and mech, and the rest are the tracks, with Gamma Goats thrown in because I like em. And the wrecker, although I would prefer to have the 800 series.

Roger, Chrisswim can help you with M59s. They are 1/300, however, they are almost big enough. The M59s aren't too bad, but I am not happy with the quality of most of those lines and they come off very poorly by comparison with GHQ. SOME things, such as GOERs, you can get from Shapeways, but they are EXPENSIVE! MY plan is 3D printing. There are FREE stls on the yeggi.com site. You can get almost everything you need at 1/100 scale. You then print it at 35% and voila! 1/285 M37B1s, M44s, M54s, etc. To give you an example, my son printed 54 MBT70s for me. It took about 4 hours. It used approx 1/4 of a bottle of resin at $37 a bottle. Now, he spent $600 on the printer...but with my plan, that's worth it. I'm looking at a smaller printer at about half the price. There are other considerations - ventilation, gloves, alcohol, curing. Still worth considering. I wouldn't talk about this here, but GHQ is NEVER going to do some of ths stuff, like the ENTAC anti-tank jeeps or Davy Crockett. I wish they would, but...

Should you start delving into the stuff before H series, I have some references. I will PM you my email and then, through that, my phone number, for quicker commo. You, too, Redleg, Hoth, etc.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Thanks Gater !
I’ll go ahead and shoot you my email
Rwhouston67@gmail.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Roger, yes, under H series, an armored division had 6 tank battalions and 5 mech battalions. My origunal reference said a mech division had 5 and 5, but I have also seen reference to 6 mech and 5 tank. Should you go prior to H series ROAD, you have to choose your point in time, as the number of combat battalions could vary, and so could even the type. Eighth Infantry Division had, at one point, an airborne brigade! 1st ID and 2nd AD had forward brigades stationed in Germany in the '70s, as did 4ID.

A very good reference, although it requires a bit of searching, is the USAREUR units and kasernes website. Tankograd also offers much useful info, particularly its REFORGER books, BUT, they don't get everything right. For pre-H series, one big question is which M48 model is in use. One BIG hole in the GHQ inventory is the M48A1 and its add-on fuel drum rack, which would figure in any unit significantly. The original and A1 range was a miserable SEVENTY MILES! I generally stick to the Armor School Student Text 17-1-1 & 2, of which I have versions from '74, '76, '78-'79, and 81. '86 is readily available on line. I have a Fort Benning version of that for infantry from 1960. Also have a variety of doctrinal manuals. Again, you have to be careful because even from those, you can't tell when cavalry units went from M41s to M48s and from two per platoon to three. I look at narratives in the USAREUR kasernes website for info like that. I CAN say when M60A2s began issue to USAREUR units (Summer '75) because my battalion was the first to get them, but the rest is up in the air.
And don't forget the M103 battalion - 4 companies, each organized into 6 platoons o 3, no headquarters tanks, a 1/4T in each platoon. One battalion in USAREUR, not employed as a battalion but companies distributed to divisions and platoons distributed among the line battalions. These are the earlier model M103s, not the A2 GHQ makes (There are free stl files for earlier models). The Army didn't order any, so the 72 tanks in this battalion were borrowed from the Marines. They were returned when the M60 began arriving in Europe in 1960.

So, I related the above just to pique your interest in what will be your Army of the 1950s project... By the way, armored divisions weren't affected very much during the Pentomic era. There were no mech divisions. The Pentomic disaster affected those infantry divisions. Remember, each battaion had Davy Crockett, the nuclear recoilless rifle. Think back to some of your battalion commanders - they might have had hip-pocket NUKES! Scares hell out of ME!

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Gater,
I’m taking a little different route, but same premise . Once upon a time , The Georgia National Guard fielded an armored division . Since Georgia is my home and Ft Stewart is where that division would mobilize ( we’re talking about none other than the 48th Armored Division “Hurricane” that was active from about 1960-68 ) I wanted to do that and show a fusion of stuff from as far back as WW2 to the current eras of ROAD . I’ve got data and old photos I accumulated from my time as a technician with the Mobilization Annual Training Equipment Site ( MATES) at Stewart . The 48th had M48A1anks, 59 APCs, 44SPH s and 41 Light Tanks , However , you could mix in the quad .50!halftracks , M20 Greyhounds , as well as the WW 2 Jeeps , trucks (scattered ) , the pontoon bridge set, and others . Since I’m not an avid gamer , I’m just a painter and detailer and spend a lot of time spreading them out on the table and admiring them
When the 48th deactivated , Ga was left with a brigade slice of.a Mech division shared with SC and NC in 1968. That reorg allowed the new 30th Mech to field later model M-48s, M-113a. m-109 SPHs and even Sheridans
As far as aircraft go, we have Bird Dogs. , Choctaws ,and the oh-13s can come from the Shapeways folks .
The Huey’s didn’t come until 73 here to the Guard .
The 30th even got TOWS mounted on Jeeps in 73 to replace the recoilless rifles
Just wish again that we could get our hands on the M-38 jeep, the M54 5ton , the M-37!truck and even the M-211 GMC deuce and a half .
I wanted

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Roger, we have the same concept. I don't game either. Just put 'em out, drool over them, and recall my other life.