Can anyone recommend a good brush for painting infantry webbing?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

supertsar

Can anyone recommend a good brush for painting infantry webbing?

Post by supertsar »

Can anyone recommend a good brush for painting infantry webbing? Brand and where to find it would be greatly appreciated.

E5

Re: Can anyone recommend a good brush for painting infantry webbing?

Post by 7.62 »

Sorry supertsar that is beyond my capabilities. Some on here can and do, hold tight an answer will come.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's well beyond my abilities as well. I use a toothpick to apply camo to my infantry and to put color on the face, but I don't even attempt to paint the webbing.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I use Winsor & Newton Sceptre Gold II synthetic sable brushes in size 0 or smaller. The more 0s, the smaller the brush. at least for them. There really isn't a convention when it comes to brush sizes, each manufacturer uses their own system. You can find these at most good art supply stores or direct from dickblick.com.

I have experimented with several techniques to paint infantry webbing and have come to the conclusion that the best technique really depends on how good of a job the sculptor has done on the figure. In some cases the webbing is prominent and you can use a fine brush to paint it. in other cases, I have just slopped paint on the webbing and came back later with the adjacent uniform color and cleaned up the lines. If the webbing is the same color as the uniform, as is the case in a lot of armies nowadays, just a good blackwash will make the webbing standout.

I think a lot of gamers, and I have been in this category at times, just use the 3' rule and don't bother at all.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

I can't even SEE the infantry webbing painted or not!
There comes a time when sanity must be questioned.
Either that or you're part hawk.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I gave up trying, it looked like I was making big pizza stains on the infantry, plus I can’t see that detail unless I’m really looking for it…