US Armored Reconnaissance Bn.?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jwbolen

US Armored Reconnaissance Bn.?

Post by jwbolen »

Putting together one for the North African campaign. Zaloga's book on the campaign lists 5 motorcycles in the recon companys and 25 total in the battalion. I can't find where they fit. Guessing communication but possibly Reconnaissance. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
J W Bolen

Gazza
E5

Re: US Armored Reconnaissance Bn.?

Post by Gazza »

i don't know if this linked document is of any use, but it might help or lead you on to other information. The army list I use (Micromark Army Lists by Mark Bevis) don't include the motorcyclists so I suspect that you are correct in the assumption that they are messengers/dispatch riders etc. Any way the link: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref ... M17-20.PDF

Oh! And this one too: https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/re ... M17-10.PDF

sultanbev
E5

Post by sultanbev »

I think there was only one Recce Battalion in the American army, the 82nd Armoured Reconnaissance Battalion, part of the 2nd Armoured Division, which did see service in Tunisia, which I guess is the unit you mean.
From JJ Hayes vol 2/1 on US Armoured Divisions, T/O 17-36

The 25 motorcycles were organised as follows:
1 Bttn HQ Motorcycle Section of 10 men with carbines, on 10 solo motorcycles, as messengers.
3 Companies each have 5 motorcycle messengers in the Company HQ, again armed with carbines.

Interestingly, the Mechanised cavalry squadrons of the time used their motorcycles as actual scouts, 1 per scout section, 2 per Troop HQ, 2 per Sqdn HQ.

Mark

sultanbev
E5

Post by sultanbev »

Got that bit wrong, the Armoured Divisions formed before September 1943 all had an Armoured Recce Battalion, but had them replaced by Mechanised Cavalry Recce Squadrons before seeing combat, other than the first three divisions:
The 1st Armoured Division replaced its 81st Recce Battalion with the 81st Mech Cav Recce Sqn in July 1944, although the change was authorised in Sept 1943.
The 2nd Armoured Division retained its 82nd Armoured Recce Battalion to 1945.
The 3rd Armoured Division retained its 83rd Armoured Recce Battalion to 1945.

Mark