Wargaming rules that focus on reconnaissance?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

whenimaginationfails
E5

Wargaming rules that focus on reconnaissance?

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Most rules I have seen view reconnaissance as an after thought or do not cover it at all. Are there any rules that focus on reconnaissance and related operations?

I am looking for a WW2 and/or modern ruleset, but one that is not exclusively infantry reconnaissance.

sultanbev
E5

Re: Wargaming rules that focus on reconnaissance?

Post by sultanbev »

I think Flames of War and Blitzkrieg Commander and Cold War Commander have rules that attempt to deal with recce. I've pinched the best ideas and added my own for my own rules.
(this is for battalion-reg level games with 1 model = 1 tank or 1 squad)

Units designated as Recce get special abilities.
1) If they go in what we call Recce Mode, they move at reduced rate (well trained 2/3rds rate, average 1/2 rate, poorly trained 1/3rd rate) but if they get shot at, they get a command roll before the fire is resolved, and if they pass it they get to evade a full move rearwards into blocking terrain if possible, or just further away. The fire is then resolved if they are still visible. However, whilst in recce mode, Recce units cannot fire.
This is an abstract way of representing scout cars/squads moving carefully, dismounted a crewman to observe round the next corner, etc, and avoids the "recce by death" that is the only option most wargames rules allow.

2) We have limited spotting ranges, but a Recce unit can attempt to spot beyond these ranges if halted and unsuppressed, and not firing. A designated target terrain feature or platoon is noted, and on a successful die roll the recce spot the target unit or a unit hidden in that terrain. Represents intensive observation with binos, detecting that little movement or sun glinting off metal. D6 is 5-6 to succeed, -1 to roll if target is in cover; +1 if using TI; +1 if on higher ground.

3) Calling artillery by proxy. Recce units can have artillery assigned to their CHQ as per any other troop type, but in addition, can call in off-table artillery at a reduced chance.

Mark

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Contact Mike Robel. Not EXACTLY reconnaissance, but he was working on a game for the Fulda Gap covering force battle
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

FFT3 rules cover recon a little abstractly, but well, if you follow through with the implications and consequences of the rules.
And, in my opinion, make a few changes.

In FFT3 rules, recon units can spot from any point within 1" of the model. That means they can remain out of site, or protected by cover, and still spot. This allows them to actually do their job as they do in reality, as opposed to games in which recon units function by driving into the enemy until they die.

It really works to make recon units function realistically.

Now, the changes...

First, the rules are written for 1 model = 5 vehicles. I think it works better for 1 model = 1 platoon, and in the case of recon vehicles with good communications, 1 model = 1/2 platoon. This would be when operating in a recon role; they would revert to 1 model = 1 platoon when being used in other roles. It also works with my personal experience; recon platoons generally broke into teams to work. When working as a 1/2 platoon model, reduce their attacks by 1/2, accordingly.

Second: Tanks in a recon role ONLY get "any point within 1" power when they are accompanied by dismounted infantry, or have other special equipment. A tank platoon operating independently, but part of a US armored cavalry squadron and therefore by nature "reconnaissance" would not get the "any point" ability. Similarly, some vehicles with notoriously bad optics and no special equipment (mast mounted sights) or doctrine of deploying troops. Case in point- the BRDM 1 and early BRDM 2, where entering and exiting the vehicle was a design afterthought. Soviet doctrine here was really drive forward until you die, and the plume of smoke will let the HQ know you have made contact with the enemy.

Third, units with very advanced tech or drones can be handled by giving them 2 or 3 inches instead of 1, opening up their options.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

I posted an AAR that deals with recon and screening forces set in the Cold War period using the Mein Panzer rule set. You are invited to take a look at it in the Galerie de la Begemot - 2nd Edition thread.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

whenimaginationfails
E5

Thanks, Begemot.