Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mortis57
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:35 am
Gazza, I have thought about the possibility of using GHQ's WWII British for Jordanians and maybe in a pinch I might.
Get some 25pdrs with WW2 Britsh crew and you'll be able to use them for both WW2 8th Army and the Jordanians.
I still hope GHQ will consider doing some properly armed and equipped Jordanian infantry at some point.
I guess if there's a larger enough demand they'll eventually get around to them. However, and I'm not sure where I read it, I think that the Jordanians' weapons and kit changes between '67 and '73 so ideally GHQ would need to do both.

I think, and I may have already said this, that at this scale a correctly shaped helmet does a lot of the work in making a figure look 'right'.
Of course I have tons of other things I am currently working on or considering working on prior to doing Jordanians.
Likewise - too many projects, too little time :-)
My Egyptians... <snip> Not sure how I will handle Syrians. Again, in a pinch, I might just have my Egyptians do double duty.
After, I've finished the Jordanians (or at least the stuff I have now), it will be on to my mate's Egyptians (which I think will also, at a push, be used as Syrians).

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

First company of my battalion of Jordanian M47 Pattons. Part of the 10th Independent Armoured Regiment attached to a '64-69 Infantry Brigade.

The model (M801) dates back to the days of Skytrex. The range was later acquired by Heroics & Ros so the model might (you'd have to ask Andy) be available as a special item (at a higher cost to the normal H&R stuff). However, H&R do their own M47 (USM71) which (IMHO) is rather nicer. Paints by Humbrol, Games Workshop, and Vallejo.

M47 Company

Close-up 1

Close-up 2

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Gazza! Nice work as always. Looking forward to seeing more of your Arab-Israeli Wars projects.

Reference the Jordanians. Without me looking it up myself, how much did the kit change on Jordanian infantry between 1967 and 1973. Helmets? Major infantry weapons? I honestly don't know.

If I had a choice for GHQ to do one or the other, I would choose 1967 as the Jordanians were much more involved in that war than in 1973 from what I know.
I thought that the Jordanians pretty much sat out the 73 War.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:50 am
Hi Gazza! Nice work as always. Looking forward to seeing more of your Arab-Israeli Wars projects.
Thanks Pete. Most of what I've got lying around is more of the same.

I still need to buy:
Infantry + support etc.
Artillery both towed and SP. The main problem being the M44 and M52 self-propelled guns - I do have some STLs of them and a mate with a 3d printer - so fingers crossed.
AA - mainly M42 Dusters if I remember correctly
Reference the Jordanians. Without me looking it up myself, how much did the kit change on Jordanian infantry between 1967 and 1973. Helmets? Major infantry weapons? I honestly don't know.
Here's what I've got - it's not that much to go on but at least it's a start.

A few notes from some of the Micromark Army Lists I use:
<from a '67 list>
Rifles are M1 Garand. LMG is Bren or Browning .30" M1919A4.

<from a '73 list>
Rifles are M1 Garand, replaced by 1972 with M16 and FN-FAL and G3 assault rifles. LMG is Bren or Browning .30" M1919A4, GPMG is FN-MAG.

<another '73 list>
Assault rifles are M16, FN-FAL and G3 assault rifles. LMG is Bren or Browning .30" M1919A4, GPMG is FN-MAG.

So M1 Garands in '67 replaced in '72 with a variety of assault rifles. Heavier mGS include the Vickers and M2 Browning; mortars include the 3", 81mm, 12cm, and 4.2" - so both British and US kit.

Apologies for the image (it's from a rather bad scan of Osprey Men-at-Arms 194 - Arab Armies of the Middle East Wars 2) but it shows them in US M1 helmets.
I thought that the Jordanians pretty much sat out the 73 War.
Pretty much, according the limited research I've done the only Jordanian unit to see action in '73 was the the 3rd Armoured Division which supported the Syrians.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks for the info, Gazza. For Jordanians in 1973 then, probably GHQ's Third World Regulars might work pretty well overall, although some of the heavier weapons might be slightly off.

Here are a few pictures of mine that I painted as West Germans for the Cold War era.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:03 am
Thanks for the info, Gazza. For Jordanians in 1973 then, probably GHQ's Third World Regulars might work pretty well overall, although some of the heavier weapons might be slightly off.
No problem.

Yes, I think the Third World Regulars would work. Although, as you say, a few of the heavier weapons might require hand-waving or conversion.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Just a couple of shots of some 1/600th Mi-2s awaiting a few red star decals. For a friend's modern (well mid '80s) Soviet army.

Close-up

Overview

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Oddzial Osmy 1/600th scale Mi-2s

Decals applied plus a coat of matt varnish.

Paints by Vallejo and Games Workshop; Humbrol Matt Varnish; Decals by Flight Deck Decals.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

A couple of snaps 2 items from the WIP queue.

8 (well a close-up of one of them) 1/600th Mi-28s - hopefully they'll be finished today - tomorrow at the latest.

4 Heinkel He 100s (or fictitious He 113) - need to finish masking the splinter camo.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's pretty spectacular Gazza! I have a pretty large collection of 1/600 scale aircraft and I don't even attempt camouflage on most of my helicopters because they are too small. Your birds look great!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:16 am
<snip>I don't even attempt camouflage on most of my helicopters because they are too small. Your birds look great!
Thank you - although even I thought the Mi-2s were too small for a camo scheme.

By the way (and I should have mentioned it earlier) the helo's are not for me but rather a commission for a friend.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

The 8 1/600th Mi-28s ready for their decals.

Close-up shot

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

The 1/600th Mi-28s are finished (well one or two need a bit of matt varnish here and there).
Models by O8 (Oddzial Osmy); Paints by Vallejo, Games Workshop, and Humbrol; Decals by Flight Deck Decals.

Mi-28s - Top

Mi-28s - Bottom

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

More diddy helicopters - this time Mi-8s.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Latest micro on the painting table. M47s (BHQ & a few 'spares') with their matt varnish drying. One of them had a broken barrel so I've glued it back in place and reinforced it with a piece of foil.

The 3mm stuff consists of some Ka-50, Mi-17s, and a single MiG-23 (left over from a previous project).

The background music - UK Subs on shuffle. I doubt the painting session will be 28 hours long though. :-)