Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mortis57
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by Mortis57 »

BurtWolf wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 am
So could you put one of those open hatch turrets on a GHQ panther hull? Would it look odd?
I've not heard anything to the contrary so I'm assuming that these new Panthers are 1/300th like the rest of the H&R stuff (although a lot of the earlier stuff is actually under scale). Here's another close up with a ruler next to the model - the hull including mudguards appears to be about 22mm long. Which is just a long way of saying that the cupola might be a little small for the GHQ Panther.

BTW, the masking tape at 3 and 6mm are to measure the aerials for my infantry and panzer radios.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

As well as those Panthers, my lastest order included some WW2 Russian Artillery Crew for some Scotia 152mm D-1 howitzers (that I'd had for some time). There was also a M26 Pershing turret and a couple of Ju 87G gun and undercarriage sprues to replace parts that have gone missing over the years.

The M26 turret was painted and added to it's hull - the company has had decals applied and joins a M4A3E8 company awaiting some more decals for the turret sides. I also painted a spare M18 turret to replace one with a broken gun barrel in the same session. There's also a few partially painted M8 HMCs.

Overview

M26 Company

M4A4E8 Company

The 152mm D-1 battery is partially painted.

I miscounted the amount of Ju 87G undercarriage legs I needed.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I forgot HR is 1/300… thanks for the explanation. Always thought it’d be cool to have a spare turret with tank riders etc molded on to it. You could switch out turrets depending on what was going on with the scenario

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

BurtWolf wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:26 am
Always thought it’d be cool to have a spare turret with tank riders etc molded on to it.
You're no doubt aware that GHQ does individual tank riders but Adler and H&R also have their own versions. There are a number of problems though. First of all, all three only do WW2 Soviet tank riders; GHQs are individual figures and therefore (for practicality) have to be glued on to tanks; H&Rs are precast on to tanks and only on three versions of the T-34. Adler's are, perhaps, the most useful gaming-wise as they are cast as a group of figures that can be dropped on to / removed from a tank's engine deck as required.

Our club, over the years, has used the H&R versions as generic markers to show that a unit is carrying troops - normally one marker per company. The marker tank is just that - a marker - and doesn't count as an actual tank on the battlefield. More recently, however, we've started to use the Adler tank riders on individual tanks - we have enough for a battalion (IIRC).

It would be nice, however, to have tank riders of other nationalities available.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

The GHQ tank riders are too large for my liking and calling them to the models is not all that great. I have some but I’m not really using them…. I think molding them to the turret will keep them in size perspective. I know it won’t happen, but other than using some old GHQ heavy weapons sculpts, that I modify, I don’t really see a good solution.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I've finished the battery of 4 152mm D-1 howitzers. The guns are by Scotia whilst the crews are by H&R. I used my usual combination of Humbrol and Vallejo paints. Here are a few (mostly out of focus) shots of them and a bonus shot of them in their towed configuration (Scotia again).

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Has it really been over 3 months since I posted anything here? Here's a photo of a M24 Chaffee platoon that I've just finished - more details in the Show Us Yer Stuff thread.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those look fantastic! I just recently started attempting to put decals on tanks, and I'm even more impressed now with those who can do it successfully. Well done on those Chaffees!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work on the Chaffees, Gazza! The decals really make them stand out.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks guys! I've just finished revamping a M26 Pershing company and a M4A3E8 company - photos soon. I also painted up two Tiger IIs to represent one captured by US forces. I've done one in US Olive Drab and the other in the usual 3 tone German camo.

I've also updated my US Forces pdf to reflect these changes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jr20Rg ... sp=sharing

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

As promised/threatened yesterday!

Hellcat Comparison
I had to replace a turret on one of the M18s in the right-hand company and painted the inside of the turret black. I'd previously only given the turrets a black wash inside, but I liked the effect on that turret so I painted the rest of them to match. The second company will be painted next - I just wanted to get a 'before and after' photo.

M4A3E8 'Easy Eight' Comparison
A photo of two Sherman companies pre and post revamp. The revamp consists of a wash of GW Nuln Oil, a heavy drybrush of the original OD colour and then a light drybrush of a lighter khaki to pick out the edges etc. Followed by decals and a coat of matt varnish.

M4A3E8 Company
A closer shot of the revamped company.

M26 Pershing Company
M26 company with a turret replaced and then entire company got a revamp.

Tiger IIs
I had a few spare Tiger IIs and had recently seen a short Youtube video on a Tiger II captured by US forces and put to use. I decided to do a version in US Olive Drab and another in something approximating a German ambush scheme.

The Pershings (and one or two others) may need a second coat of matt varnish.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

A few assorted photos. Mostly of US armor (some of which has already been seen) but also including a rather unusual German vehicle.

2nd M4 Battalion, Companies 2 & 3
Next to do. Second Combat Command or Independent Tank Battalion?

Recce Battalion, M5 and M24 Options (+ the new M24s)
I made a storage box for the new M24s - which are currently sharing it with some tank options form the Recce Battalion.

TD Overview
For those wondering, I also have M36 turrets - they're already over in the club with some M4A3 hulls to make the B1 variant

TD HQs
CHQs and PHQs for the TDs.

M10 Tank Destroyers
Turrets loose so that I can use the hulls with the M36 turrets.

M18 Tank Destroyers
Turrets glued down.

M4A3E8 Companies 2 & 3 + BHQ + Spares
This finishes the Easy Eight options for first Sherman Battalion - basically any tank in the battalion can now be swapped out for a Easy Eight or just use the turret to make a 76mm armed M4A3.

Panzerjäger Wanze
3d prints from Butler's Printed Models. It's basically a Borgward IV demolition vehicle with 6 panzershrecks mounted on it. 56 were built and some saw action in the Battle for Berlin.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work Gazza! I love the American tanks and TDs. Very cool on the Panzerjäger Wanze as well. I didn't even know that was a thing until you posted about them. I learned something new today!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Interesting on those Borgwads… nice collection too!

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Gazza

I have long since disposed of almost all of my H&R - give me GHQ pewter anyday. However the various producers of 3d printed pieces are now offering quite a bit of quality to fill the gaps.

The Panzerjäger Wanze from Butler's look good. Are these pieces you've painted up Standard (PLA) or High resolution (resin)?

Olfarty