Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by redleg »

Those look awesome Gazza! I'm hoping to get my dry brushing technique to be that good some day!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Gazza wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:02 pm
Bridge Weight Plates applied to a squadron of Churchills.
Very nice Gazza. I have some yellow dots on a few tanks but now I know the weight is missing.......and it bugs me.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

7.62 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:15 pm
Very nice Gazza. I have some yellow dots on a few tanks but now I know the weight is missing.......and it bugs me.
Next, when they arrive are Dan's new decals for the 6th Guards Tank Brigade decals and then possibly (and finally) War Department numbers.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Initial summary

The latest summary of micro elements (updated:07/09/2023).
Last edited by Mortis57 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

A few shots of some US M20 RCLs. Scotia NE024 and H&R Crew (US332).

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Now that I've mostly recovered from my cold/flu/covid, I've gotten around to finishing my Churchills with the addition of the 6th Guards Tank Brigade markings from Flight Deck Decals.

Heroic & Ros Churchill IIIs and VIIs plus a few conversions. The Mk.IIIs are acting as Mk.IVs.
The MK.IIIs are marked up as C Squadron of the 3rd Scots Guards. (Blue Circles)
The Mk.VIIs are marked up as B Squadron of the 3rd Scots Guards. (Blue Squares)
The Geometric decals are from GHQ.
The Allied Stars are from I-94.
The Bridge Weight and 6th Tank Brigade decals are from Flight Deck Decals

B Squadron - 3rd Scots Guards - 6th Guards Tank Brigade
Churchill VIIs with a couple converted to Churchill VIIIs and one to a Churchill ARV Mk.I

C Squadron - 3rd Scots Guards - 6th Guards Tank Brigade
Churchill IIIs acting as Churchill IVs. Plus a couple converted to Churchill Vs and one to a Churchill ARV Mk.I

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are great looking tanks Gazza! The decals took superb!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:44 am
Those are great looking tanks Gazza! The decals took superb!
Thanks! In an ideal world they would all have War Department numbers and tank names too. Maybe one day :)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work on the Churchills, Gazza! I have some Churchill IVs coming from GHQ. Now I need to decide if they will be used by my British or if I will paint them up as Lend-Lease Russians.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:23 pm
Very nice work on the Churchills, Gazza! I have some Churchill IVs coming from GHQ. Now I need to decide if they will be used by my British or if I will paint them up as Lend-Lease Russians.
Thanks Pete. Get a couple more packs and do both! :D

A while back, I painted some GHQ Churchill VIIs for a friend. To the lefthand side, you can just make out a Churchill VII that I converted to a Churchill VIII by cutting down the gun barrel and wrapping a bit of paper around to make the muzzle brake. Also in the photo is a Churchill 3" Gun Carrier (from Shapeways), a pack of GHQ Archers, and some Leo IIs from C-in-C.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks, Gazza! Getting more Churchill IVs and maybe even some more Churchill IIIs might be the answer to that dilemma. Of course, then I need to paint them too.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Final Photos of my WW2 US Armored Infantry Battalion before I take it over to the club.

Battalion HQ & Supports

Infantry Companies

Battalion Options
From left to right:
1) 57mm AT Gun crews used as Infantry Squads
2) M20 75mm RCL - Two per Company
3) Jeep mounted 75mm RCL - replace 57mm ATG Platoons

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

All my various Centurion Mk.Is in the same place for a change. In all the photos the H&R old model is on the left, the H&R new model is in the centre, and the GHQ model is on the right.

All

Front

Rear

Side

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is a very nice comparison of the different Centurion Mk Is, Gazza! I have 5 of the GHQ models of the Centurion Mk I that I got a few years back. I may use them in a what if late War scenario or if the Western Allies and Russia go to war in 1945-46.

It is interesting to see the differences in the H&R Models between the old and the newer ones and then see the GHQ model next to those. The level of detail on the GHQ model is of course excellent although the newer H&R is not too bad. There is also the difference in size you can easily see, not only between the GHQ and H&R models but also the old and newer H&R models.

If anyone has ever had some of the really old GHQ models and compare them to the newer ones from around 1980 on, there is quite a bit of difference in the detail as well. I had a few old GHQ Tiger Is and maybe a couple of others and there is no comparison to the newer sculpts. I also had the older GHQ T-55s and T-62s and those were definitely inferior to their newer models of these vehicles.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:54 pm
That is a very nice comparison of the different Centurion Mk Is, Gazza!
I'm tempted to get a few from Butler's Printed Models too. That's a guy in the UK who prints 3d models in various scales.
I have 5 of the GHQ models of the Centurion Mk I that I got a few years back. I may use them in a what if late War scenario or if the Western Allies and Russia go to war in 1945-46.
For the Late War what if you'd ideally need 6 as 6 were on their way to the front for combat trails when the war in Europe (at least) finished.
There is also the difference in size you can easily see, not only between the GHQ and H&R models but also the old and newer H&R models.
Not that you can tell from the photos, but the new H&R model is also rather heavier than the old model.
If anyone has ever had some of the really old GHQ models and compare them to the newer ones from around 1980 on, there is quite a bit of difference in the detail as well. I had a few old GHQ Tiger Is and maybe a couple of others and there is no comparison to the newer sculpts. I also had the older GHQ T-55s and T-62s and those were definitely inferior to their newer models of these vehicles.
I guess that with advances in technology etc. it's easier these days to add small details to models, and equally important cast those details with advances in moulding technology.