Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mortis57
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:00 am
I can't wait to see the trenches when they are finished!
I've basically finished the actual trench element. I may add some of my customary foliage and may even attempt adding some small sand bags.

Time to try it on a large (quantity) scale.

The actual basic trench element - assuming that you have the technology - should be fairly easy to design and 3d print. Not that I have any experience in that sort of thing.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Those trenches are looking good, Gazza! I created some improved positions for my North Africa troops a few years ago.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I like the creativity.

Agreed. Having a 3d printer is the way to go. And then getting ahead of that process and into 3d drawing is every better. Allows you to think something up, draw it, print it and get it on the table.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Those turned out well, look great. Congratulations!
Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Slowly making progress with the Adler Soviet SMG troops. I also found another company (the leftmost that I'd started awhile back). Columns from left to right: Company in summer uniform, 3 companies in winter uniform, 3 companies in summer uniform, 2 companies of Soviet Pioneers. Plus a couple of elements at the bottom for the winter-garbed troops BHQ and some extra MGs.

Whilst I painting them I thought I'd also finish off A Soviet Rifle Battalion that I'd started quite some time back. These are the old style Heroic & Ros figures. It also represents a battalion at a time of the war when there were 4 squads to a platoon.

BHQ & Support Company

Three Rifle Companies

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those look great Gazza! I admire how you have so many individual grunts in the units and they all look so awesome! You must have hours and hours and hours invested in painting these guys!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Cluster submissions on the way!
Look nice.
Chris

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks again for the kind comments.
chrisswim wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:38 am
Cluster submissions on the way!
I guess that they make the ideal target for some German SD-2 mines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_Bomb) in their little storage boxes.

A quick (out of focus) snap of them a couple of stages on:

Next the uniforms, flesh etc. Before some bushes and (on the winter bases) an attempt at some patchy snow.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Lookin good Gazza! I'm very impressed with your infantry!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very good looking infantry, Gazza!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

OK! Confession time - the uniforms colours were different enough that I've separated the painting into winter and summer sessions. Here's the winter infantry, so far.

All Infantry

Adler Infantry

H&R Infantry

All the Adler infantry are in the padded uniforms wereas some of the H&R figures are in greatcoats. I painted some of them in white (obviously) to give a bit of variation.

<Edit>
Additionally, and I may of mentioned this before, the Radio in the CHQ of the H&R company came with a solid disc of metal inside the ring-like antenna. I decided to cut the whole antenna off and replace it with a bit of thin foil.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Looking good Gazza! I have never used any infantry other than GHQ so I appreciate the pics from a variety of manufacturers. Your grunts look pretty awesome!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks Red. I think tha vast majority of my infantry is H&R (mostly their older figures) and Adler with a smattering of 2d6 Wargaming, Scotia, and Mainforce. When I've got the choice I prefer those manufacturers where I can buy individual strips of figures rather than larger packs - mainly in order to get approximately the right amount of mortars, bazookas etc for a given force. That said, both Adler and the older H&R ARE sold in larger packs. So in the past to get the right amount of MG34/42s on tripods (for a battalion for example) I've ended up with 20+ spare 81mm mortars.

Anyway, time for an update on the Winter Russians. This is the SMG Company from the newer H&R range. I still need to apply snow to the groundwork and give them a coat of matt varnish but other than that they're finished.

Photos from a circling drone maybe?

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Added the snow to the bases - I may touch it up at some point but it looks fine at gaming distances.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Something a bit different.

I came across a model of this unusual tank and I decided to give it a go with a KV-1 and Pz IVH turret that I had in the 'spares box'.
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-nazi ... cm-kwk-40/

The result (so far).