Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by pmskaar »

Your infantry is looking good, Gazza! I do have some of GHQ's Russian Winter infantry as well as their German Winter infantry. I still have to get them painted though.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking infantry Gazza! What do you use for the snow on the bases? Is there snow flocking available? I've never seen any, but I haven't looked that hard for any.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:56 am
Your infantry is looking good, Gazza!
redleg wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:02 pm
Great looking infantry Gazza!
Thanks chaps.
What do you use for the snow on the bases?
I used Valhallan Blizzard by Games Workshop. It's one of their 'Technical Paints'.
Is there snow flocking available? I've never seen any, but I haven't looked that hard for any.
I've not used it myself, but I believe that Woodland Scenics (amongst others) does snow flock and related products.

I think you can also get white static grass - but again I have not tried it myself.

Googling snow effects there are a bunch but I'm not sure how many work at our small scale.

I have also used Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda in the US - I think). Which does work but can apparently yellow over time. But we all know to be careful of the yellow snow ;-)

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I was going to apply some German crosses to the turret sides and rear hull but found I was out of ones small enough. So in the meantime I've stuck a German flag on the engine deck. Like a few of the things I've 'finished' recently it still needs a coat of matt varnish. I really need to get a pot (or two) sometime soon.

PzKpfw KV-1B 756(r) - 22nd Panzer Division 1943

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Gazza your tank looks awesome! How did you do the flag?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:40 am
Gazza your tank looks awesome!
Thank you.
How did you do the flag?
It's just an I-94 decal with plenty of Microscale's Micro Set & Micro Sol applied. I gave it a couple of coats of Micro Set before applying the flag, another coat afterwards, before a couple coats of Micro Sol. Oh! and a gentle push or two with a clean cloth to encourage it to settle into the model's recesses. I also applied the decal slightly out of square with the hull. This upsets my slight OCD but (I think) looks a little more realistic.

I have, in the past, applied such flags to a really thin piece of foil. Applied decal solution and varnish before folding the flag up somewhat.

<edit> Fixed quotes!
Last edited by Mortis57 on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

The flag on the deck looks very good, Gazza! Putting it on at a slight angle or slightly offset is a good idea despite the OCD saying it should be perfectly aligned.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I like the results of the flag. I am going to add that on some of my tanks at some point.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Another batch of figures awaiting a coat of matt varnish - the Adler Winter Russians.

Overall photo of the BHQ & 3 Companies

A couple of closer shots

Several Close Up Shots

From the other side

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I'm going to intersperse these (Oddzial Osmy 1/600 heli's) with the Adler (+ H&R) Summer Russians to break up the monotony of cleaning/painting either.
I'm currently cleaning up and drilling (for the wire aircraft stands) the Mi-2s - 3 down, 5 to go. The alloy is frustratingly hard - which makes drilling rather hard work.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Slight change of plans with the Elefants.

I was just going to repaint my 'new' ones to match my old ones - but after due consideration I'm going to repaint the old ones as well. The photo below shows the newer ones after their initial base coat, wash, and two set of drybrushing. One with pure Humbrol 83 and the other with Humbrol 83 lightened with white. The command buses and trailers got a similar treatment.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

OK, A stage or two on from the last photo.

All the models have now been given a base coat of Humbrol 83; a wash of GW Seraphim Sepia; a heavy drybrush of Humbrol 83; and a slightly lighter (weight-wise) of Humbrol 83 (mixed with 34 - Matt White).

As it's getting rather late (23:47 as I type), I'll start on the camo scheme and other details (most of which will be with acrylic paints) tomorrow.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Cool progress report. Keep us posted on your camo technique(s).

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

BurtWolf wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 am
Cool progress report. Keep us posted on your camo technique(s).
As you wish :-)

Ok, so I lied. :oops:

I ended up using Humbrol enamel (160 - Red Brown) for the first camo colour rather than an acrylic.

In my defence, however, I did use Vallejo 988 Khaki for the 'tarps' on the 4 covered halftracks.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Added the green camo (Vallejo 921 English Uniform) and, although you can't see it, I've painted the tyres on the command buses and trailers black. Next step will be to give them an overall drybrush of something like Vallejo 819 Iraqi Sand.