Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mortis57
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks guys!

Here's a few photos of those previously unpainted M4A3s from my previous post (along with a couple of M24 Chaffees that were in the same boat and some M6 HMCs whoose crew need painting). They're currently in the process of having their decals applied. I've done the first company and am about to start on the second...

An Overview

M8s and Chaffees (The old H&R M24 model)

M4A3 Company (The 105mm armed variant has a MG cast on the turret to help identification)

The other M4A3 Company (Which means I can field 6 75mm armed M4A3 companies - should be enough)

EDIT: Decals applied - matt varnish next...

Overview

M24s

First M4A3 Company

Second M4A3 Company

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great work on the decal work on those American vehicles, Gazza! What brand of decals are you using for these?

I use about 4 different brands regularly depending on what I need. For my WWII American stars, I have been using Microscale Industries 1/285th American star decals as I find them to work well for me and they come on a large sheet. They are older but do the job.

For my WWII German Tactical Numbers I have been using Flight Deck Decals for the black with white outline and also have red and blue with white outline as well. This is an up and coming company and have a nice selection of vehicle decals including Italian tactical markings. They recently released some Russian tactical numbers.

Other decals companies I have used are 1-94 Enterprises. I have used their German tactical markings, aircraft markings, and Russian tactical numbers and slogans.

I also have a selection of the old GHQ decals around as well.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the comment. The Allied stars are all from I-94s US-109 sheet.

In regards ranges, I use the following: I-94s Beacon and Scale Specialities ranges, Dom's Decals (although I don't think that they're available any longer), Flight Decks Decals (both direct from Dan and via Baccus in the UK), GHQ (mostly the UK Geometric insignia sheet - although I'll probably end up replacing them with those from FDD), and 1/350th and 1/700th sheets from Trumpeter Models range of aircraft for their aircraft carriers.

Butler's Printed Models do a small range of decals too, but I've yet to try them.

I've still got some old decals from Trafalgar Models (back in the day they were pretty much all that was available), a few rub down decals for WWII Belgium roundels, some rub down Letraset sheets (letters and numbers - mostly too large for 1/300th / 1/285th), and some other odds & sods that come from here and there. I did get a sheet years ago but I don't remember who published it (IIRC though they discountinued it at some point) that had a bunch of Eastern Front national insignia (Hungary, Romania, Poland etc. as well as pre / early war Yugoslavia).

I've also taken decals from old model kits - purely for things like stripes or bands of a single colour.

EDIT
A quick photo of the decal collection.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Your box of decals looks a bit similar to mine. I store mine in a clear plastic storage box. I should probably try to organize them a bit better as sometimes I end up hunting through the whole box to find that one set of decals that I need right now.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I'm very impressed with all the awesome decal work that both of you do! I have trouble with decals in 1/35 scale!

Great looking vehicles Gazza!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

pmskaar wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:06 am
I should probably try to organize them a bit better as sometimes I end up hunting through the whole box to find that one set of decals that I need right now.
Me too. The closest I get to any actual organisation is that in the box are a number of ziplock bags with smaller bags in. I.E. that US109 Allied Stars sheet has 7 or so different stars (different sizes, with or without a bordering circle etc.) which all go in different bags.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Companies 2 & 3 of the 2nd Battalion finished - well they still need their orange / red company markings on the underside...

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Next up - a US Treadway Bridge from Butler's Printed Models. The order consisted of two packs (bridge + extension) and three of the trucks.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I've assembled the bridge into 3 sections. I might need to reinforce the underside of the joints to the ramps.

EDIT
Added some small strips of foil (from on old superglue tube) to the underside of the bridge.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Erector Trucks finished

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Cool bridge Gazza!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Nicely built bridge.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice looking bridge and trucks, Gazza. I have several of the old CinC pontoon bridges which look very similar to the ones that you have.

Here is a picture of the one that I have that is painted and emplaced. I did not do anything with the bridge or boats to make it look better. I may go back one of these days and add a wash, pick out the details, and do some highlighting.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I've finally finished the bridge itself. I've stuck a ruler there to give a sense of size (luckily with imperial and metric units - take your pick). I've also revamped the first company of my German infantry units by bringing the bases up to my current standard.

Pete - the two bridge models do look like they're based on the same thing.

Treadway Bridge
It's a rather basic paint job but will do the job.

German Engineer Company
Not new but the bases have been brought up to my latest standard.

A couple of close ups
Unfortunately, at the time I did my engineer companies the only engineer types figures available were flamethrowers. So there are no minedtector or demo charge laying figures here.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

The bridge came very done, great.
The infantry look fantastic.
Chris