Gazza's Stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mortis57
E5

Re: Gazza's Stuff

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks Chris.

Next up for the refurb of My US forces are the tank transporters. I originally only had 2 Diamond T transporters so I've bought a third. That one and a couple of M3 Halftracks (for a recce CHQ) are being painted from scratch.

I've also found a use for some 'spare' Tiger IEs that I'd acquired from a guy selling up - Command vehicles for a Corps level Demolition tank platoon. I'll probably get the other command options (Panzer IIIs and StuG IIIs) as well as Goliaths soon(ish).

US Tank Transporters

German Demolition Tank Platoon
GIven the nature of the unit I felt the need to add aerials.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work Gazza! Is "Demolition Tank Platoon" a kind of tank unit during WW2? I have never heard that term before.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

redleg wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:34 am
Is "Demolition Tank Platoon" a kind of tank unit during WW2? I have never heard that term before.
They were, basically, radio- (or wire- in the case of the lighter Goliath) controlled vehicles designed to clear mines and other obstacles with an explosive charge. Various arnoured vehicles were used to control the B IVs such as the Panzer III, StuG III, and (as here) Tiger I.

There's some info on them in a few Schiffer books (and probably elsewhere) that I know of along with a link that mentions their use in Italy

https://mikesresearch.com/2022/06/26/ti ... y-1944-45/

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Panzershreck teams for the German Engineer CompanyI revamped the bases of recently.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Good lookin panzershreck teams Gazza!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thank you, Red!

Here's few photos of things finished (or started since):

Second German Engineer Company
I was only going to revamp the bases of this engineer company but, in the end, ended up repainting the figures too. This represents the infantry elements of the armoured engineer company of a Panzer Grenadier Regiment, and as such there are no support weapons as they are all self-propelled (mortars and flamethrowers). I may paint up some separate mortars and tripod-mounted mgs to make it a bit more flexible. I used the old Afrika Korps pack from H&R for most of the figures as that pack contained a few flamethrowers and mine detectors.

Dragon Wagons
A fairly basic model but it does the job. Originally sold by Skytrex (when I bought them) and now sold by H&R.

Diamond T tank transporters

Some German AT Stuff
A few replacement PaK 43s and some panzershreck teams in winter garb.

Polish TKS Company
I still need to get a few figures for the command element. Now that H&R do Polish figures one command strip should do.

Polish Independent Vickers E Company
As with the TKS Company, I still need the figures for the command element.

I think all the models are from H&R (maybe a few from Scotia); decals by I-94; paints by Vallejo, Games Workshop, and Humbrol. Another thing that I don't think I've ever mentioned is that the sand sprinkled on the infantry bases to add texture is by Games Workshop - but I didn't buy it - it's left over from either a 15mm or 25mm army I painted for a friend.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work, Gazza!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Lookin good Gazza! Great looking engineers!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

I've just noticed that that Vickers E company is actually a mix of Vickers E (the single turreted examples) and 7TP1 (the twin turreted examples) - oops! Looks like I need to order some twin turreted Vickers and some single turreted 7TP1s.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Now that I've revamped my German Engineer bases, it's time to start on the rest - although the infantry from the Recce isn't shown here.

Engineer Companies, Fusiler Battalion, and [WIP] Winter Company
Engineer Companies with revamped bases. The Fusiler Battalion is the recce unit for a late war Infantry Division. Two companies are mounted on horses whilst a third company is mounted on bicycles. I've only got the three companies (both mounted and dismounted here) and still need to do the BHQ and support company. The bottom most unit is a German Infnatry Company in winter garb. There's enough options there to field it either as an Infantry Company or Panzier Grenadier Company (either armoured or motorised) - although I need to get some anti-tank rifles and 50mm mortars to field it as an early war unit.

I'm also considering completely rebasing the cyclists so that there are 4 per base but advancing down the length of the base two abreast. And on a more road like surface.

Panzer Grenadiers
Almost 6 battalions worth of Panzer Grenadiers - the dug Adler units need mortars, BHQ, and support company to complete the battalion. I've got one RHQ too (not shown) so still need the second. Whilst all the anti-tank guns shown are PaK 40s the 1st regiment also has PaK 38 and 36(r) options. As can be seen, there's still quite a bit of work to do to revamp the bases to my current standard.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Very impressive Gazza!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

You have a very nice collection of infantry there, Gazza!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Thanks chaps!

I've decided that the first step of the base revamp is to standardise the storage trays. I've done the six storage trays for the BHQs and support companies.

I've currently done ten (not all assembled yet) storage boxes for the infantry companies. I also have a few more that had been done previously such as this one containing a [WIP] infantry company in winter gear. The longer compartments (due to them having to be longer enough to hold two support weapons) have an unexpected bonus of being able to contain a individual panzerfaust figure as well as an infantry squad.

As well as revamping the bases, I've decided to remove any panzershrecks from the PHQs and replace them with normal infantry figures. The panzershrecks will then be based on their own small bases like these [WIP] winter panzershrecks.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Full Demolition Tank Platoon
In this photo the foremost Tiger is facing backwards as I needed to reapply it's balken crosses. I'd forgot that the Flight Deck Decals needed an acrylic barrier applied before my usual enamel matt varnish. Fortunately, I noticed my mistake on the first model.

Hanomag with Borgward in the background
Although flags weren't really used as aerial recognition signs this late in the war (due to the Germans losing air superiority), I decided to add theem to the Hanomag and Borgwards.

Tiger I
I took inspiration from Pete's Tigers and put a decal on the stowage bins

PHQ Tiger
After correcting my mistake.

I did take a liberty with the numbers - I had a few spare from a 9th Company that I was unlikely to use elsewhere. Let's just assume that the platoon has been attached to a division as a (small) 9th company.

The AFV numbers, along with the flags, and some letters (A-I) on the front of the Borgwards are by I-94 whilst the balken crosses as mentioned above are by Flight Deck Decals,

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

The tanks and troops are looking good Gazza!