Antena for vehiles

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Alpha 11

Antena for vehiles

Post by Alpha 11 »

Just wandering what you all use for them. And where you got them. I had one lead, but it is old, and can't seem to find it, even via googling for it.

Gazza
E5

Re: Antena for vehiles

Post by Gazza »

I use nylon bristles from a dish brush. I find it best to get one with black bristles as that saves on painting them too.

madman
E5

Post by madman »

When I was a teen I pulled single strands of hair out of my head. A little CA and a quick swipe of silver paint and viola. Nowadays I can pass on the paint!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

My initial Antennas for micro armor took place 25 years ago or so.
1. Started with black thread painted with Gunmetal color to stiffen the antennae.

As I recall, I spray painted these after putting in the antennas, hence the extra material. Think these are thread because there are specific turn of the antenna.

2. Used tooth brush bristles, inked black. Tried to cut to 9mm length.
Consistent length and thickness.]

3. Now I use Black paint brush bristles. The thickness varies, the piece may separate.
Last edited by chrisswim on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Alpha 11

Post by Alpha 11 »

Thanks all!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Last edited by chrisswim on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

SMS KONIG

Post by SMS KONIG »

I use Tooth Brush Bristles. To me they work the best.

Jason

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

On 1/35 scale, I use a thin guitar string (not nylon), with a thicker string for the spring base. Probablyuse a thin guitar string on 1/285 as well... I have to look. In the '70s, US antennae were OD, not black. On tanks, if there were two, one was longer than the other. If there was only one, it was the longer one. Command tanks - commander, platoon leader, platoon sergeant, had two. I don't know what the configuration was later, or on M1s. I can only speak to the M60 series in the 1970s.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

From my research, in the pre-sincgar days, all armored vehicles had a transceiver antenna which was 4' tall. Platoon Leaders and above had a receive-only 2' antenna to allow them to monitor another level. When the army switched over to sincgars radios they received two 4' antennas and had two transceiver radios so that Platoon Leaders and above could communicate fully at two different levels. Most, but not all, sources seemed to indicate that the unit sargents were so equipped as well. The sincgars radios, being digital, used less space and needed less cooling space over the tube radios so enabled the vehicles to be equipped with two full radios.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.