Turrets-To glue or not to glue

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Turrets-To glue or not to glue

Post by Hoth_902 »

This is more just an idle curiosity than looking for advice. With that said, I was wondering what people's preference to gluing turrets in place or leaving them free to rotate.

I typically leave tank and larger IFV turrets free to rotate. I know most rule sets don't really focus on turret location, but I like moving them around when I go vroom vroom on my desk top. I am not very adventurous, so I have not clipped the turret stem off and replaced them with magnets or other methods along those lines.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Splod
E5

Re: Turrets-To glue or not to glue

Post by Splod »

G'day!

I glue mine, but then I'm a heathen who also bases his armour :mrgreen:

In the games I play, each base represents a platoon or a half-company, so specific turret facing isn't relevant.

But then, my main gaming opponent leaves all his turrets free. I just couldn't imagine having to re-match all my turrets every time I break them out for a game. But as always, to each their own!

Splod
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Splod,

I am an an-al engineer so having to match the turrets up with the base, if they get messed up, is a pain. It has made me rethink not gluing them. I have also thought about when I get older, being 51, that there may be a time when having to put them in the small hole could be difficult.. But maybe I glue them at that time.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Not that it matters...... but......
I used to glue all turrets and base my armor figs.
Most items are not based. I do have some truck-trailer combo, command elements or some special group or items based..
I glue all AIFV, APC, ABV, some AA & artillery turrets.
Tank turrets: Abrams, Leopard 2, LeClerc, I do not typically glue them down.
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

All input is welcome.

jwbolen

Post by jwbolen »

I game 1 for 1 scale. Don't mount anything. I leave larger turrets unglued. Found using a little Elmer's or even paint is enough to hold smaller ( M3/5 tanks and M8 armored cars) ones on. At 71 with my eyesight and patience I don't even do figures and pretty much given up on mounting machine guns. Find what works for you.
J W Bolen

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I glue my turrets but do not base most of my vehicles. The WWII rules set I use for most of my gaming is Mein Panzer and does not require turret facing so I just glue them down.

I also have Fistful of TOWs 3. For that set I do base the minis and glue the turrets. FFOT3 is a platoon to a base so the base represents the units frontage to a certain extent.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I only glue smaller turrets like bmps, btrs, and other small turrets. Most tank turrets are free to rotate and get lost, plus my brew up markers don’t work with the turrets attached.

I don’t base vehicles and use magnets to attach aircraft and helos to their stands. All infantry and guns are based.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Since I only collect and everything is theoretically in the motor pool, you would think everything would be glued down, but I only glue tuurets that are small and hard to handle. I'm afraid the minute I glue them all, I will wish I hadn't.

When the D printing starts again, I will likely print the turrets on the hull. I'll have to try a few both ways. Maybe only the tanks will rotate turrets. I just don't know.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Like a lot of others, I only glue the small turrets. Tanks and Bradleys do not get their turrets glued down, but I haven't had a legitimate table-top wargame in years, so my only excuse is because I want to play with them! I am fortunate in that my nerdish tendencies do not extend to matching turrets and hulls for the most part. I don't base any vehicles either. I mount infantry on pennies and I glue magnets to my aircraft for mounting on flight stands.

At one point I worked out how I could use magnets to attach turrets to hulls, and then to attach the vehicle to a base as well. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but then my ADHD flared up and I lost interest!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

SMS KONIG

Post by SMS KONIG »

I glue my turrets. In large games I do not want to mess with whuch turret goes where. I also base my Artillery and small vehicles.

Jason

SMS KONIG

Post by SMS KONIG »

I glue my turrets. In large games I do not want to mess with whuch turret goes where. I also base my Artillery and small vehicles.

Jason

Vergeltungswaffe

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

No glue and no bases for vehicles (communism).

Magnets. This is the way.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Gazza
E5

Post by Gazza »

Way back in the past (10+ years ago) I was was in the 'never glue a turret down' camp. Since then my views have changed and I glue down most turrets. I still don't glue down turrets when a vehicle has an option of different turrets. For ecample WW2 Shermans - where (in the 1st battalion at least) I can swap out the 75mm turrets for the 76mm turrets.

All that said, in an ideal world I'd like turrets that are firmly fixed to the chassis but are still able to rotate. I did, at one point in the past, glue plastic discs on the end of the turret stem. Which allowed them to rotate but remain fixed to the chassis. That, obviously requires long turret stem that extend past the bottom of the chassis.

I think that, in an ideal world, that attaching magnets to both the turret and chassis would work best. But...

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

As some know all units are 1:1. All vehicles.

Vehicles: All turrets glued down. No bases. Sometimes I wish they were not so I could change the turret facing based on the formation but next I am glad they are and not having to put turrets back on all the time.

Mech companies dismount squads and ADA batteries MANPADS teams are based on 1" x 1" thin sheet styrene. I will edit later on the thickness. Dismount squads 1x M-60, 1x M-79 and 4x M-16. Platoon command section is three personnel and company four. I have not decided on the battalion level yet. MANPADS teams the missile crewman and a spotter.

Tragically no ship is yet based. Once I get past my OCD I will start completing painting and get them based. I have a large box of Litko bases collecting dust waiting for ships to arrive. All ships are destined for a base.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.