Brigade Tactical Group

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jaxenro

Brigade Tactical Group

Post by jaxenro »

I am sure many of you are familier with this chart and more conversant with Russian equipment but I would like to duplicate using GHQ Micro Armor

So the tank company is 10 T-72's and I plan one company of BTR-80's, one of BMP-3's, and one of BMP-2's for a little diversity. That would be an additional 30 vehicles but that leaves 102 still to identify. Can someone help me fill in the gaps? I'm not good enough to tell from the pictures what else I need

panzergator
E5

Re: Brigade Tactical Group

Post by panzergator »

Before you get too far along, this is a BATTALION tactical group. A brigade tactical group is built around a regiment, usually a motorized rifle regiment, to which are added assets of various kinds to beef up the existing regimental assets, in accordance with its particular mission. Those assets may be additional gun artillery, missile artillery, ADA, AT, signal jamming and intercept, etc. The BTG then forms AD HOC BATTALION tactical groups, which may or may not be formed around one of its TOE battalions, tailored for its assigned mission. This is the Russian adaptation of US/NATO teams and task forces. Your chart is not a standard, but an example. The motorized rifle regiment has one tank battalion, one BMP battalion. 2 BTR battalions, artillery, missile battalions, and other combat support and service support. So the AUGMENTED regiment becomes a brigade tactical group and its commander uses his assets to form AUGMENTED battalion tactical groups. Motorized rifle battalions also have an AT company and a mortar company.

My memory is a little shaky these days, but aside from the easy tanks, BTRs, and BMPs, command vehicles will likely either be combat vehicles appropriate to the battalion type or ACVs - the artillery command vehicle. The recon platoon will have a BMP-R and BMPs. Arty will ACVs for command and control.

There may be more up-to-date info that someone else can provide, but I haven't seen much lately. My studies are inhibited by both eyesight and ambition.
Last edited by panzergator on Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

This is my unsubstantiated opinion. I believe the Russians have likely abandoned the attempts at battalion and brigade tactical groups and returned to their original methods. The BTG requires a higher level of training and more junior leader initiative than their training methods impart. The old system works better (kinda). They lack the NCOs required and do not permit the latitude required of subordinates. They just don't have the ingrained, institutional philosophy required. That's why they are losing so many LTCs, colonels, and generals. If they are able to continue the war, the middle-class officers with front line experience will rise in rank and things may get a little better, BUT! they still have the training/thinking problem at the junior level. And they don't have time to get up to speed. They are banking on attrition - Ukraine may run out of troops before Russia stalls. And however poor Russia has been on the attack, they have had time to prepare formidable defenses. Those are frightening, even in a book. In this situation, defense is easier and just by the book, the attacker needs 3 for every 1 of the enemy's, whatever thing it is - men, tanks, APCs. That's statistics.

Somewhere in all that fire and mud is a culminating point at which one side or the other will not be able to continue. It isn't by combat alone that the point will be found.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

What time frame are you thinking of building, more recent I am guessing vs original Cold War.
Chris

jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

Yes relatively recent I want to go as current as I can but it seems hard getting good info

I get they are moving away from BTG but am looking for something similar in the 150 give or take vehicle size. Actually would prefer more tank companies and less infantry but I couldn’t find a decent org chart that would relate to the current war. I’d like to try a Russian T-72 group against a mixed bag of Ukrainian armor

Ideally 3 tank companies and one motorized infantry with supports

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Try Battleorder. He has great data and videos. This link, which has a video, covers rusdian modern platoons and up to division level.

https://www.battleorder.org/post/rus-tanks
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I'm not sure there are many tank regiments in the Russian army, particularly now. Tank regiments consist of three 31-tank battalions and 1 31-BMP battalion, plus support. You could build a battalion tactical group around one of the tank regiments tank battalion. I'd suggest starting with the battalions three tank companies, and two BMP companies. Add a 122mm so howitzer battery, some ADA, and a small recon elements maybe a BMP-R, 3 BMPs, and and 3 tanks. You can take it from here.

jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

I am wondering how much of Russian organization today is sort of matching up what’s available? I wonder if they are beginning to mix and match in available battalions like one tank battalion and mix in what they have for support. I think I will start with that and try to follow the pre war structure as best I can using what’s available including some older equipment. Older trucks more BMP 1s and 2s, older artillery, maybe even a platoon of T-54’s as indirect fire artillery

On the Ukrainian side do we have any idea how they are mixing in NATO armor? Are they trying to keep it all together or parceling it out at a company level?

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Building blocks, units. Have a company that is homogeneous, which might not be the norm currently unless older armor.
However, ideas….
2 COS: T80-ERA, plus 1
1 CO: T-90, T-90MS, T-72 M1 (era), or T-72 B3M,
Or: T-55AM
Inf Co.: BTR-80, BTR-80A, or BMP-3
6 SP- 122, 152
6 BM-21
4-5 SA-13, 15, or 17. and SA-22
Recon: GAZ Tigr, UAZ-469
Command/Recon, FO: ACRV
Chris

jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

So this is what I came up with basically two tactical groups one infantry one tank. Partly based on what GHQ sells and partly on the org charts. Plus a little bit of wanting some diversification (i.e. BMP 2s and 3s) just for visual. They aren't so much brigade tactical groups as building blocks for a 1:1 wargame

The infantry group tank company is three platoons of 4 and a command tank, the tank group company has the traditional 3x3 and a command. All are using T-72's as these are supposed to be recent formations of older equipment

I was thinking of some KA-50's to stand in for the KA-52's that are hammering the UK counter offsive today probably as a stand alone squadron not attached to either group

Thoughts?

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

As just a point of information, at one time ('70s, early '80s), the tank battalion of a motorized rifle regiment had 3 companies organized into 3 tank platoons, each of four tanks, plus a tank at each company headquarters and one at battalion hq. That organization was discontinued some time ago and all tank battalions were reorganized along the standard three-tanks-per-platoon. Switching to a four-tank platoon for a Russian unit might not work well.

I say that understanding that this is your game and you can do whatever you want.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I'm not an expert on Russian formations anymore, and all of my references are about 20 years old, but I get the impression that there is quite a bit of variation between units these days. I think the org tables that you came up with are reasonable, and they give you some gaming flexibility so that you have different types of units in the mix to choose from. If you wanted even more flexibility you could give your tank group BRDMs for recon and 2S3 for the SPG battery, or something like that.

Here is an interesting website that purports to show current locations of Russian military units. https://gfsis.org.ge/maps/russian-military-forces

If you zoom in and click on a specific unit you can get some detail, but it won't show specific types of vehicles. Like this:

Based on this site, there is some variation between different regiments and brigades. It won't give you any low level details, but it might give you some ideas for brigade and regiment size units.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

I have read rifle regiments used the 4 tanks per platoon so each rifle company could have an attached tank platoon of 4 tanks. I wasn’t sure if they had stopped as I am seeing conflicting info

This is just a base idea I will probably swap some vehicles like BDRMs and 2S3, maybe a couple 2S7, or even a battery of T-54s used as artillery

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

There's a lot of info on the modern (well 2016ish) Russian Army in this book - including organisations.
https://www.armyupress.army.mil/portals ... artles.pdf

Here's the tank battalion for example.

[edit]added tank battalion illustration

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Yes, that was true in the Soviet era. However, the tank battalion structure for MRRs was standardized on 3-tank platoons in the late '80s/early '90s. And usage of tank platoons could vary. So it's been 3 tanks per platoon for around 30 years. The standard was 31 tanks per battalion, changed in the 70s to 40 tanks per battalion (4tanks per platoon) for the motorized rifle regiment's tank battalion, then changed back to 31 in the 90s.

Tank platoons could be broken off by regiment for various missions, such as part of the advanced guard and flank guards. One tank company might be sent to each rifle battalion, or two companies might thicken the BMP battalion in the assault. A platoon might be assigned each BMP company in the assault.

But like I said, it's your army. Do what you want. I'll leave you alone now.