A BAOR Question

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Roger H
E5

A BAOR Question

Post by Roger H »

Doing some research here . The artillery regiments that were deployed for Operation Desert Sabre with the 1st ( UK) Armoured Division were equipped with M-548’s to provide ammo support to the M-109 and 110 guns . In publications prior to ODS , it stated that the only units who had 548’s were the Air Defense regiments to support their tracked Rapier batteries.
Guess my question is …..What provided ammo to the 155, 8 inch, and M-107 batteries prior to ODS and did they bring and distribute ammo right up to the gun line?
The Stalwart was typically used for ammo supply for the Abbot regiments , but I’ve never seen photos of a British 109, 107 or 110 battery deployed with their ammo supply vehicles before ODS .

I’m assuming the 548’s were a one time thing for ODS and were discontinued (or given back to the US) since the 8” regiment was disbanded and the guns retired shortly after and the 109’s were sold to Austria as the AS90 came on line .

redleg
E5

Re: A BAOR Question

Post by redleg »

Very good question and I have been unable to find any info on it over the past week or so either. I'm hoping someone has the info because now I want to know too!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

SMS KONIG

Post by SMS KONIG »

I beleive the British used TM 8ton trucks with a crane for ammo in at least the M109 regiments. Might also be true for the M107 units.

Jason

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I e-mailed this question to the Royal Artillery Museum to see if they could provide any info. It doesn't answer all of your questions, but this was their response:

I have just spoken to one of our Volunteers who used to work on the M110, and I put your enquiry to him.

M548 was repurposed (from 50 Missile Regiment) for deployment on Op Granby with 32 Regiment RA and was used as 1st line ammunition for the M110.
Each M110 had 1 x M548 and 3 x Bedford TM Trucks (2 of which carried the ammunition).

Prior to and during Op Granby, M548 was also deployed with British Air Defence units using Rapier, as an ammunition carrier vehicle.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

redleg wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:33 pm
I e-mailed this question to the Royal Artillery Museum to see if they could provide any info. It doesn't answer all of your questions, but this was their response:

I have just spoken to one of our Volunteers who used to work on the M110, and I put your enquiry to him.

M548 was repurposed (from 50 Missile Regiment) for deployment on Op Granby with 32 Regiment RA and was used as 1st line ammunition for the M110.
Each M110 had 1 x M548 and 3 x Bedford TM Trucks (2 of which carried the ammunition).

Prior to and during Op Granby, M548 was also deployed with British Air Defence units using Rapier, as an ammunition carrier vehicle.
Mike, thank you for determining this, getting the info! You are applying wisdom.
Chris