foxbat's stuff. last update 04/22/2024

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

foxbat
E5

Re: foxbat's stuff. last update 01/03/2024

Post by foxbat »

Thanks gentlemen. I'm adding a few Micronauts to my collection.

I'm start with the Detroit class light cruiser USS Marblehead. Already obsolete at the start of the war, she redeployed to the Dutch Indies with the remainder of the Asiatic Fleet. That's a ship that was fortunate to be unlucky : heavily damaged by Japanese bombs in the Strait of Makasar, she had to retire for repairs... which were completed in Brooklyn at the end of the year, after a most harrowing voyage.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

And now some H & G class DDs, HMS Glowworm sunk ramming the German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper, and winning her skipper WW2s 1st Victoria Cross (posthumously unfortunately), HMS Hereward, and HMS Hotspur, of which I built the Airfix model ages ago...

the weird deck color is not planking, but corticene, an antri-skid surface.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Your ships look awesome Foxbat! Every time you post pictures of your ships I am a little bit closer to diving into micronauts!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Thanks Redleg!
Then be afraid, be very afraid, because I'm painting more right now! :wink:

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great work on those ships, Foxbat! I like the idea of a theme to paint with although I do not have very many of my own ships done as of now. I am partial to the early war Pacific battles such as Java Sea and ** CENSORED ** for WWII although I may get the Graf Spee done one of these days and field the Exeter, Ajax, and Achilles for the River Plate battle. I played that one at Historicon years ago using the GHQ naval rules which were being playtested at that time. It is a good matchup.

Sometime when I get done with some more WWII land minis for my games I may delve into WWI and do the battles of Coronel and The Falklands which are interesting to me. GHQ actually makes just about all the ships that were involved including the Otranto which I had requested along with the Canopus. One of these days....

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Thanks Pete.
Actually, I love naval history, so building my collections around a theme is kind of natural for me. Like you, I have a soft spot for early Pacific War battles, extending till the end of 1943 : after Tassafaronga, you still have a few interesting battles centered around the captures of New Georgia and Bougainville in the Solomons, till the battle of Empress Augusta Bay where the US mastery of radar gives them an insuperable tactical advantage. I'm also working you'll see soon - on building a Kriegsmarine force for the Murmansk convoys : there too, you can have reasonably sized actions with unpredictable results. There is also the Med, I've got a few Italian ships, but well, this collection still needs to grow.
Regarding WW1, I have the ships for Coronel (+ HMS Defence which nearly was there, a most interesting "what if") and a good part of those for the Falklands. I still need to start from scratch, but getting those for the battlecruisers battle at Jutland does not seem out of reach. :D

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

All the WW1 stuff I have. Most of Coronel ships, with the Defence for the aforementioned "What If" as well as the Vergniaud, if some day I start a French WW1 fleet... :wink:

Painted years ago, seen e few games so you'll notice a bit of wear & tear.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great looking ships Foxbat! I love how you have them organized for specific battles and campaigns. I love the wear and tear - just like the real thing!

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Thanks! :D

I'm not finished on my Java campaign project, but I also wanted to expand my Kriegsmarine collection. Here it is, complete :

and the ships I added to it during my recent holidays :

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Now, here is the Lützow, in its Barents Sea battle livery (that infamous incident that nearly caused Hitler to scrap Germany's whole surface fleet)

The 2 €ct coin (same size as a US$ Ct coin) gives the scale. That adds a new level of meaning to the phrase "pocket battleship", doesn't it? :mrgreen:

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

And now the Hipper, as its shipmate in its Barents livery. Not sure about this one's accuracy though.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

And 2 classes of Zerstörer to finish this series, first the Eckoldt class

Imagehttps://sm3.photorapide.com/membres/419 ... qekbi6.jpg[/img]

And the Narvik class

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent work all the way around, Foxbat! Everything looks top-notch. I painted the Lutzow and Hipper for the GHQ catalog a few years ago. I did the Lutzow in her Norway invasion scheme and the Hipper in one of her 1942 schemes. Your renditions look great!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Foxbat,
Your navy looks beautiful, museum quality.
Very nice painting.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Ships look fantastic Foxbat i really love the bases and labels s well!