US CIvil War Ironclads

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Wild Geese

US CIvil War Ironclads

Post by Wild Geese »

Hello,

Needing help with something that might be a red herring . . .
Have been working with "Raiders & Blockaders", new to the subject, and have been cleaning up their 'manuscript', converting much into more easily navigated charts & lists.

Have run into the term "chain posts', without any explaination.
Can't find any reference to the term either on the web or in my own (not inconsiderable) library.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Considering that they were a bit lax on terminology, this migjt actually refer to something else, something that might make more sense . . .
At least that's what I'm hoping, at the moment.

Any thoughts, or outright answers????

Thanks,

Wild Geese

redleg
E5

Re: US CIvil War Ironclads

Post by redleg »

I'm not a Navy guy, but I am aware of 2 "chain" things in regard to ships (other than the thing that is connected to the anchor). At one time on sailing ships there was a platform called a chain platform, or something similar. It was just a place for a sailor to stand while he threw a rope. The other thing I just happened across in a civil war book that I picked up at the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg a couple weeks ago. It mentioned that some wooden hulled ships would drape chains over the hull for added protection. I believe it was from about 4 feet above the waterline to 2 feet below the waterline. I don't know how common it was, and the book didn't go into a lot of detail - just a basic sketch and brief description.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Thanks for the reply.

I a familiar with the items which you mentioned.
Additionally, the rudder chains could be blown away by gun fire, leaving the vessel without steering.

In this case, the "chain post" is implied to have some other serious function, in that if it is damaged or destroyed the ship is imperiled . . .
As with so much of what we do with this stuff, it has little to do with the price of rice in China, but it just bugs me that they put the reference in there with NO explanation.
In working through the R&B instruction book & 'ship data sheets' we have encountered numerous errors & inaccuracies, which is why we're working to clean it up.
Not a bad game once some of the confusion is dealt with.

Any further ideas would be MOST welcome.

Thanks,

WIld Geese

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

This question really piqued my interest and I did some digging around and I found something pretty interesting.

Apparently steam powered ships of the day had something called a Hog Chain, and it was generally secured by Hog Chain Posts on the ships. This might be what is being referenced in the R&B book.

On shallow draft ships, like steam powered riverboats, the weight was on the bow and stern, and with the bottom being fairly flat, the hull would bow in the middle without any kind of support. The Hog Chain was generally not a chain, but metal rods that would provide stability and keep the ship flat. And if the Hog Chain was lost, the ship would bow or sag depending on where the weight was, and the ship was in danger of sinking.

Here are a couple of online references:

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entr ... oats-4466/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_chains
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I would suggest that chain posts refer to the braces to which steering chains are attached. The sense of this comes from somewhere deep in memory of past reading, likely in my teens. Since I'm 74 now, those mists are pretty thick. I used to read a lot of stuff about 17th and 18th century naval action, not mention Hornblower, the Revolutionary battles,... You get the picture. Anyway, steering gear, chains being shot away, etc.

Further, however, searching for "sailing ship chain posts" reveals they are platforms as stated in the prior posts. Doesn't make sense to me, but...

I'm going with the steering apparatus.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Wild Geese

Post by Wild Geese »

Again, Thanks so much for the information & input.

As to hogging, yes that has always been a very big issue for wooden vessels.
This was seriously considered when the US needed war ships following the Rev. War, leading to the creation of those 6 wonderful frigates.
They were built with internal bracing which carried some of the mass of the bow & stern diagonally inwards towards the center of the ship's length, thus preventing hogging.
Some referred to them as the 'stealth' technology of their time.
Cool vessels, at any rate.

Any further knowledge / info will be welcome . . .

Thanks,

Wild Geese

annetharp

Post by annetharp »

Wild Geese wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:07 am
Hello,

Needing help with something that might be a red herring . . .
Have been working with "Raiders & Blockaders", new to the subject, and have been cleaning up their 'manuscript', converting much into more easily navigated charts & lists.

Have run into the term "chain posts', without any explaination.
Can't find any reference to the term either on the web or in my own (not inconsiderable) library.
geometry dash subzero
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Considering that they were a bit lax on terminology, this migjt actually refer to something else, something that might make more sense . . .
At least that's what I'm hoping, at the moment.

Any thoughts, or outright answers????

Thanks,

Wild Geese
How do I install a chain link fence? I'm so new and I don't know how to do.