Hoth's Corner

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Hoth's Corner

Post by Hoth_902 »

Inspired by the likes of pmskaar (aka Pete), Cav Dog and a few others of the Old Guard, I wanted to start my own thread. Mainly because I want to stop shamelessly posting on Pete's thread when i could just as easily have my own. Second is for the purposes of maybe helping to get more activity on this site and keep it going. The last reason, is that maybe you guys can shame me into finishing the myriad of projects that I have started but not even come close to finishing. With all that said, I present to the community, Kampfgruppen Egolf. Its a mix of mid and late war vehicles. I have not set on the camo patterns for individual vehicles and units, but I am making progress with getting the TO&E finished and the base coat and some limited detail work accomplished.

The vehicles sitting right side up, have there treads painted and awaiting wheels. The ones upside down... well I think that speaks for its self.

Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Begemot
E5

Re: Hoth's Corner

Post by Begemot »

I hereby designate you as the first of the Jeune Garde (Young Guard).

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

It is great to see you on your new corner, Hoth! Of course you are still welcome to stop by Pete's Place at any time.

Great work on your vehicles! I am looking forward to seeing more as you go along. I am always looking to see more activity on the site as well and I think that maybe your contribution will maybe inspire some others as well.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks Pete, I thought it was time to have a dedicated spot for my work. I have always been an active participant, on the site, for a long time. My post moving forward will be a mix of posting here, individual subject post, and participating on your thread. So much good stuff on each of the dedicated threads for one member or another. I can only hope that people start participating more. I have been on here since 2010 and there use to be a lot of good stuff posted and conversations to be had.

Thanks for the feedback on my pieces.. I have been pretty dedicated lately, in a way that I have not been for a while. Feverishly trying to get my treads and wheels done, so I can move on to camo and detail. Stay tuned, more to come.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Very nice Hoth! Kampfgruppe Egolf looks fantastic! Now we need to see those bad boys tearing up the gaming table! Keep the posts coming!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Looking good!
Glad you have your thread. Looking forward to this.
Chris

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

That's a lot of stuff! Nice start, please keep us up to date on your work. :D

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Foxbat,

Don't worry, more to come. I have been discussing some painting techniques with pmskaar (Pete's Place Thread). Looking forward to applying some of what he has been sharing. I will probably put a photo or two more, later today. Not much done of any detail but hopefully more to come.

foxbat
E5

Post by foxbat »

Thanks, Hoth. Pete's advice will be really excellent, his stuff is incredible. Looking forward for your work. :D

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Foxbat,

Thanks for your interest. I just got all my paints, so I have a few more vehicles to prime and base coat. Then its off to the races.. Hopefully I will post something soon.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Its been a grip since I posted anything and even longer for me to get up the courage to start the camo paint on my Kampfgruppen.. I need to do a few more layers on the green and then add the red brown color before its done. This will be followed by some decals if I don't totally hate the finished product. For some reason, I feel the green is off. I am using Light Olive Green (Humbrol Matt #31). I don't hate it, but I can be fussy as I start something new and be overly harsh. I think the King Tiger is coming out decent. That tank will only be Green Camo and no Red Brown color.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth

I think they look pretty good so far. From the picture the green looks pretty reasonable as I can tell. Did you say Humbrol #31? I have that listed as Slate Grey which is a green gray color.

My standard German 3 color camo consists of #83 Ochre, #86 Light Olive, and #160 German Camouflage Red Brown. #86 used to be listed as German Light Olive on the Humbrol chart but the new chart only lists it as Light Olive. On all my base colors, I do lighten with #34 Matt White for scale purposes.
#86 definitely has a somewhat olive tone to it. I have found this works well for my basic WWII Russian armor color as well.

I suggest that you keep going on these, at least get a couple done and then decide if you need to change anything. You will have the satisfaction of having a completed piece to use as well as something to compare to when doing future models. This is coming from someone who is sometimes his own worst critic and I have had to fight the urge to scrap everything and start over. Just keep plugging away and I am sure they will look great when you finish.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Thanks Pete,

I really appreciate the vote of confidence. You are correct, I am using #86 and not #31. #31 is for some GHQ buildings I am going to paint here soon. I did not lighten my #86, but maybe I should do that on the next batch... I did thin the paint, like you suggested and need a couple of more layers. I have #160 to add some of the German Camouflage Red Brown, once I am ready. I like how the king Tiger is coming out and look forward to finishing it and getting some decals on it.

I too am my worse critic and am trying to hold back from striping them.... LOL. Its why I posted this stage on the site, so people can help calibrate my thoughts... Which are most always negative..

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

My two cents worth....

For a long while I just used Humbrol Matt 94 for Dunkelgelb. When I started, the simplistic notion was that early war German equipment was "Panzer Grey" and late war was "Desert Yellow". Argh!

However, now, depending on what period of the war I'm attempting to depict I now use a variety of base colours. For the so called "Nach Muster" introduced in early 43, I still use Matt 94. For Dunkelgelb 1943 I use a mix of Revell/Humbrol (ie. a darker and browner hue, but not too much for the scale). For Dunkelgelb 1944 - when the base colour became more grey than anything yellow, I use Humbrol 72.

Getting even more complex, we have mid war schemes with Dunkelgelb used as a camouflage pattern over the earlier Dunkelgrau! Or the fact that some vehicles painted in Dunkelgrau prior to February 43 simply did not get repainted.

Anyway, for most of the mid to late war cam schemes I've pretty much stuck with Humbrol Matt 86 Olivgrun (for the very late war colour Reseda Grun, Humbrol is 80 okay). However, for Rotbraun I lean towards Matt 70, not Matt 160, the latter to me looks too dark for small scale.

Having mumbled all that, when attempting photography in my study, the light tends to give greens and greys a blue hue!!!

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Why is it, when you are asked for your thoughts, its a penny, but if you want to jump into a conversation, its two cents? LOL..

Olfarty,

Thanks for the information. I have seen some of the color variations in WWII german stuff... and to be fair, I have seen in in all periods of time for WWII, post war, cold war and modern war. Its really cool because it helps lower my OCD just a little when trying to match a paint scheme. But only just a little... LOL. As for lighting, I have experienced that as well. If you look at some of the pictures I posted on pmskaar's thread, all the vehicles are the same color, but under different lighting, they look different. Its a frustrating part of this hobby. Get something all painted up and looks great. Take a photo and its all washed out or a different tint... LOL.. we just have to live whit it or get more consistent lighting.