Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

Post by redleg »

Those are spectacular Olfarty! I'm blown away by all your modifications and kit bashing!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Thanks Redleg.

Just for info, most of the material I use for scratchbuilding is from the fantastic Evergreen range ie. styrene sheet, rod & strip. Dare I say it, I love the smell of styrene in the morning... :roll:

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Wow I love your stuff, always gets my eye seeing scratch built stuff … especially on more unusual variants! Having tried some scratch building I know it’s not easy and you have done it really well. Especially like those Bren carriers!

Keep posting, thanks for sharing!

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a great shot with the key, Olfarty! Your conversions are fantastic, and even more impressive when you can see just how small they are!

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

redleg wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:54 am
That's a great shot with the key, Olfarty! Your conversions are fantastic, and even more impressive when you can see just how small they are!
I thought a comparison might be illuminating. If you look closely you'll see that each of the side wading trunks on the AVRE Bobbin consists of eight pieces > including .25mm x.25mm square rod (from Plastruct). Freakin fiddly to put together!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Those specialty vehicles look great, Olfarty! I love the extra details that you put on them.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I can only imagine your patience - having worked with plastistruct I know it’s finicky. I found it hard to make small enough parts that could survive cyanoacrylate glue…. Great job!!

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Olfarty,
Those are great! Look superb!
Chris

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

BurtWolf wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:00 am
I can only imagine your patience - having worked with plastistruct I know it’s finicky. I found it hard to make small enough parts that could survive cyanoacrylate glue…. Great job!!
Yep it's very tricky working with tiny pieces of plastic, a miniscule amount too much glue will turn any piece into mush. There are lots of failures!

I use a cyanoacrylate glue to attach plastic to pewter, however, where I can I use Revell's contacta professional glue on plastic.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Theme: Water barriers (ie. getting across them). Firstly, amphibians, later bridges and rafts…

US Amphibians in Brit service in North West Europe, circa March to May 1945 (eg. the Rhine River crossing).

At the time these LVT Squadrons were large, with 32 LVT’s plus M29C Weasels (organized with a HQ of 2 LVT2’s + M29C Weasels, One Troop with 6 LVT2’s and Four Troops each with 6 LVT4’s).

My effort here was more about mixing/matching of components from various GHQ models rather than scratch-building (apart from a few gun mounts).

I opted for about half squadron of LVT’s on land and about half swimming, plus some extra vehicles.

The Amphibians on-land consist of:

UK119 LVT4 with 20mm Polsten cannon (nb. not all Brit LVT4’s were equipped with 20mm cannons)
US44 LVT2 (50 cals added, 20 mm cannon & mount added to one)
US112 LVT4 Water Buffalo (50 cals moved)
US69 M29C Weasel
US42 DUKW

The troops in the on-land LVT4’s are UK27 Rifle company (squad stands) cut up into clusters that fit in loosely (so they can be readily unloaded eg. for a wargame).

The Amphibians swimming consist of:

US60 LVT2 waterline (50 cals added, 20 mm cannon & mount added to one)
US113 LVT4 waterline (50 cals moved/20mm cannons & mounts added to some, one carrying a ‘truncated’ US11 jeep, one carrying a ‘truncated’ UK14 Universal carrier)
US69 M29C Weasel (entire lower hull cut away)
US42 DUKW (entire lower hull cut away)

Last edited by Olfarty on Fri May 17, 2024 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are awesome!!!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Those look great, Olfarty! That is a very interesting collection of amphibious vehicles.