Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Olfarty's strictly WW2 extravaganza

Post by pmskaar »

Nice work on the Ferdinands and the Wasps, Olfarty! I painted 4 Elephants a while back but did one in the "Kursk" scheme even though it is the late '43 conversion as GHQ currently makes.

I would love to see GHQ do a proper Ferdinand and maybe some of the Universal Carrier variants as well. Of course it is not as though I don't have anything else to do in the meantime.

It is great to see your work here.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Pete,

With regard to the G11 PzJäg Elefant, this particular piece seems to have been produced by GHQ in the 70's. Perhaps a Kursk Ferdinand may actually appear, however, I'm not holding my breath!

And likewise, I have a quite a few (WW2) things I'd like to see produced. Meanwhile, on my workbench I'm currently working on 56 pieces, with more to come. It's all ever so slightly insane!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice work Olfarty! Your flamethrower conversion is awesome! Doing detail work like that is something that I greatly admire nd I wish I had that kind of skill. I can't wait to see the other 7 variants!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Redleg,

I use the word "tweaking" as that's about all that can be done to create variants in this scale! I was at one time gaming, so I tried to make the conversions idiot proof. Nothing worse than spending hours on a conversion just to have some klutz drop it on the floor!

The other thing is it's tricky to see the differences in photos. My 'variants' (all based on GHQ UK14):

Standard Mk II with Stacey draw bar (as towing vehicles for 6 pdrs etc)
with Stacey draw bar cut off (most were not used as towing vehicles)
with Vickers MG (mounted on top of engine compartment)
with 50 cal (I've seen a pic of a carrier in Italy with a 50 cal, a 30 cal and a Bren Gun!)
with 3in mortar (in stowed position at rear)
Wasp II flamethrower
AOP ie. Armoured Observation Post (with cable reels front & back)
Line Layer (with cable reel mounted on top of engine compartment)

I might attempt pics later!

Harlan
E5

Post by Harlan »

A great conversion
McAllen, TX

Enjoying Tank Charts, MeinPanzer, and Harpoon

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Today’s topic, another long since deleted GHQ item, UK9.

In the 1976 catalogue it was: UK-9 Heavy Anti-Tank Gun (17-pounder)

The real thing was the first version of the 17 pdr anti-tank gun, known as Pheasant. There were about 100 Pheasants, being 17 pdr guns mounted on the carriage of the 25 pdr field gun. This beast first arrived in Tunisia in very late 42/early 43, were employed during the invasion of Sicily in July 43 and there’s even a photo of one at Salerno in September 1943.

I managed to find a pack of UK9 in new condition at Noble Knight a few years ago, which was still in circa 1981 GHQ packaging...

Only just this morning I located another (opened but as new) UK9 pack on ebay…

GHQ replaced UK9 with UK63 perhaps in the 1990’s (?) UK63 is the mass-produced version of the 17 pdr (complete with Crusader gun tractor).

The paint scheme I've applied is SCC5 (light mud) & SCC14 (blue black) - in use for the Italian campaign from 1943.

My choice of gun tractor here is from GHQ’s UK49 - this is a CMP Quad (Ford No. 12 Cab 7A2 Body FAT). This is conjecture on my part, as although there were plenty of CMP Quads in Italy, the only vehicles confirmed (in photos) towing Pheasants are the Morris Quad and 30 cwt Fordson WOT 8.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are great looking guns and tractors Olfarty! Keep the pics coming! And what an awesome find on ebay!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:30 am
with 50 cal (I've seen a pic of a carrier in Italy with a 50 cal, a 30 cal and a Bren Gun!)
Looking forward to seeing the various conversions.

I plonked a few CinC 50 cals onto a few H&R Universal Carriers - not sure why! There's also a 50 cal on one of the Stuarts that I modified to the recce version. Note also a few M24 Chaffees at the back. These are all options for the Armoured Recce Regiment of the various British equipped Armoured Divisions in NW Europe (Guards, 7th, 11th, and Poles). They're awaiting a revamp.

I also keep meaning to convert a few (well a company's worth) carriers to represent the german conversion with the 3 panzershrecks. Plus, maybe, one or two with a 37mm PaK gun or 20mm AA gun.

Not conversions I'm likely/able to undertake so I might end up buying a few Praying Mantis and PIAT Battery carriers from Butlers Printed Models. Whilst both vehicles underwent limited testing neither was deemed successful. There's some info on the PIAT Carrier here - https://armourersbench.com/2020/11/29/e ... l-carrier/

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

redleg wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm
And what an awesome find on ebay!
UK9 again...the ebay seller is located in Colorado. This would be a bargain at US$7. However for me that means the postage will be 3 times the price of the item.

However, if one of you guys in the US are interested the seller is: https://www.ebay.com/str/underdog197877
Last edited by Olfarty on Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm
I plonked a few CinC 50 cals onto a few H&R Universal Carriers
I've now found quite a few photos of 30 and 50 cals 'festooning' Universal carriers, most show the 50 cal on a mount attached to the front of the bren gunners position ie. just how you've got it. However, before I found the photos, I attached my 50's to the location of the gun mount on the engine compartment - I'm going to have move them some day. Argh!

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

This time...

Left to right.

G82 Bergepanther. Straight from the pack (apart from the 2cm which in reality may have been mounted on just one Bergepanther). The GHQ model apparently represents the ARV produced by Henschel from July 43.

Early Bergepanther. This is a minor conversion using the hull from G81. Info I've seen suggests just 12 of these vehicles were created using turretless Panther Ausf D’ s from MAN production in June 43.

Bergepanzer III. This was a conversion I attempted about 15-20 years ago ie. about 5-10 years before GHQ released G582 “Pz III Recovery”. I used the hull of a G28 ie. Pzkpfw III Ausf L, a spare derrick crane from G82, the rest being scratchbuilt.

Having attempted an early Bergepanther, I had a spare Panther Ausf D turret. So, I re-purposed it as a Panzer-Turm. Not much converting here – simply lopping off the Nebelwurfgerät (smoke grenade dischargers) and placing it on a rudimentary platform - roughly similar to concrete emplacements seen at Rimini, Italy in September 44.

Last edited by Olfarty on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I really like the Bergpanthers, Berg-PZ3, and those British artillery units.
You did well, very well. Look great. Thank you for sharing and explaining.
Chris

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great work on the Bergepanzers, Olfarty! I think you did a fine job with the conversions on the Panther D and the Panzer III to make them into recovery vehicles.

I painted a Bergepanther D from 2D6 last year. It was a very nice casting although I do have a preference for GHQ. It seemed to fit in nicely with my GHQ Panther Ds which I finished about the same time. It is just a tiny bit shorter in length but not noticeable until you put the pieces side by side.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Pete,

I saw your pics of the 2d6 Bergepanther - damn nice paint job - as usual!

Meanwhile 2d6 seemingly went out of business a month or so or ago, however as of right now their website says "2D6 Is back and open for orders!"

Public demand?

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice work, the creations are wonderful.
Chris