Micro Armour Wish List 2024-2025 - Your Top Five

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Splod
E5

Micro Armour Wish List 2024-2025 - Your Top Five

Post by Splod »

The below comments were made by members in the Wish list 2023-2024 thread:
panzergator wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:01 pm
Looks to me like the wishlist doesn't work anymore. Not many participants on the board, with a few of us making massive lists. Probably ought to limit it to a top five, for starters, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Breivikeidet wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:15 pm
I think Panzergator makes a really useful point about massive lists.

Although they're always written with enthusiastic best intent, they sometimes can seem a bit overwhelming. The point that was made regards a "Top Five" is really good, I think it refines the ask to GHQ.
Taking this point on board, I thought I'd get in early and kickstart the wishlisting for 2024-2025. My logic is that if we get in early enough, the GHQ team can spend even more time being influenced by our wishlisting! #WishfulThinking

I'm also one of the guilty party who's wish list ran into the dozens of models :oops:

So here goes...

Splod's Top-Five for 2025
Sub-Saharan Irregular Heavy Weapons - An infantry pack containing various heavy, crew-served and support weapons in the style of Sub-Saharan Irregular Infantrymen #1. Pack could include mortars, ATGM, AGL, AA, tripod MG and sniper. Useful for nearly any modern setting post WW2.

Caterpillar D9 Armoured Bulldozer - Armoured bulldozers are deployed by almost all modern militaries. The D9 is extremely common, and most recently has been extensively associated with Israeli operations in the Middle East. Military Today - Caterpillar D9

Type 1 Land Cruiser Technical - Armed technical based on 70's series Land Cruiser utility. Extensively used from 1970's to today. Tray loads could include MGs, RCL, ATGM or AAG. Tanks Encyclopedia - Type 1 Technical (Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series)

M47 Patton - Common post-war tank used extensively across the globe. While already produced by GHQ, the model is showing its age and deserves a resculpt. Tanks Encyclopedia - 90mm Gun Tank M47 Patton II

Puma Armoured Engineering Vehicle - Israeli AEV/Heavy APC based on the hull of the venerable Centurion. Capable of carrying a crew of eight and used for combat engineering tasks. Commonly fitted with mine roller, blades or RAFAEL minefield breaching system. Ideally I'd like to see pack of 3-4 Puma with a roller and bulldozer blade included. The RAFAEL system can either be scratched or released as a separate pack. Military Today - PUMA

- - - - - - - - - -

With that list done, what are the top-five microarmour releases you'd like to see for 2024-2025 from GHQ?

P.S. I've focused on moderns as I don't game WW2. I leave it at your discretion whether you want to do a pure 'top five' across both ranges, or if you do two separate lists for WW2 and post-war/modern
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

chatto
E5

Re: Micro Armour Wish List 2024-2025 - Your Top Five

Post by chatto »

For me, it's about new infantry mostly! My aim is six options for the 'Rifle Infantry' groups, and five options for Heavy/ Support Weapons.

1. 'Third World Western Regulars' - they would COMPLIMENT the current third world regulars, whereas the current ones have the G3 heavy rifles, these would have 5.56mm Galil assault rifles.
Equipped with:
- Galil Assault Rifles.
- Galil with Rifle Grenade.
- Machine Gunner with FN MAG.
- M79 Grenade Launcher operator or Milkor MGL operator (the original South African MILKOR grenade launcher design).
- 60mm Commando mortar operator.
- Carl Gustav 84mm operator or APILAS 120mm operator.

2. 'Third World Eastern Regulars' - The Eastern equivalent of the above squad - these can be considered an update of the BRUSHFIRE WARRIORS.
Equipped with:
- AKM assault rifles.
- SKS select fire rifles.
- SKS with rifle grenades.
- RPD Gunner or HK21 LMG - a lot of them were used by African ex-Colonial forces due to many territories being ex-Portugese.
- RPG-18 operator - or the Czech RPG-75, which was sold to a lot of African ex-Colonial forces during the Cold War.
- RPG-7 operator - or the Czech Pancerovka P-27 launcher, which was sold to a lot of African ex-Colonial forces during the Cold War.

3. Third World Regulars Support Weapons - again complimenting the current Third Word Regulars heavy weapons.
Equipped with:
- 106mm Recoilless Rifle team or a B-10 82mm Recoilless Rifle team.
- 60mm mortar operator team - think WW2 M19 60mm mortars.
- SA-7 operator.
- 120mm mortar team.
- ZPU-1 14.5mm AA team.

4. Cold War British Infantry
Equipped with:
- SLR/ L1A1
- SLR. L1A1 with ENERGA No.94 AT Grenade or M79 Grenade Launcher operator (I'd like both, but I gotta stick with six options!)
- GPMG operator or L4 BREN gun operator.
- 84mm Carl Gustav operator.
- M72 LAW AT operator.
- 51mm light mortar operator.

5. 'Nam Era US Support Weapons
Equipped with:
- 106mm recoilless rifle team.
- 60mm mortar team or M79 Grenade launcher operator.
- M67 Recoilless Rifle operator or M20 Super Bazooka operator.
- Mk19 AGL team.
- TOW ATGM team.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

1. Neubaufahrzug - granted that there weren't many built, but at least it was actually deployed.
2. Sd Kfz 247 - possibly a single pack with both the Ausf A (6 rad) and Ausf B (4 rad) variants in the ratio 1:4 or 2:3.
3. Valentine bridgelayer - as common (if not more so) as the Churchill bridgelayer.
4. Bren Carrier - (and the other early carriers used by the BEF - Scout, Cavalry etc.).
5. Benelli 500 M36 Motor tricycle variants.

Plus a bonus aircraft
Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache - No chance in hell of this happening though :-)

Ok a few of them are a bit of a cheat as they are vehicle families. Maybe over a couple of years?

Vergeltungswaffe

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

I just have one:
Pz VII Lowe with the 10.5cm L70
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

My wish list is generally unchanged. Mostly modern US stuff that probably doesn't have much use for actual gaming. But I still want them!

1. Modern vehicle stowage (gas and water cans, ruck acks, duffel bags, boxes, tentage, netting, etc.)

2. AN/TPQ-36 Firefinder Radar (deployed and travel modes)

3. AN/TPQ-37 Firefinder Radar (deployed and travel modes)

4. M1074 Palletized Load System (with separate flat racks so they can be mounted on the truck or left off)

5. Small Emplacement Excavator
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

redleg wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:16 pm

1. Modern vehicle stowage (gas and water cans, ruck acks, duffel bags, boxes, tentage, netting, etc.)

This would be such a useful pack! I suspect it may have a huge failure rate during casting though as it would have a high number of very small components. While I wait for this pack I'm having fun trying to sculpt my own bags and rolls :mrgreen:
redleg wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:16 pm

4. M1074 Palletized Load System (with separate flat racks so they can be mounted on the truck or left off)

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done one of these yet! Bonus points for me if one of the loads is a command shelter. Other than the M1037 there aren't any modern US command post vehicles in the GHQ line-up.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Harlan
E5

Post by Harlan »

Excellent list

Splod wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:43 am
The below comments were made by members in the Wish list 2023-2024 thread:
panzergator wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:01 pm
Looks to me like the wishlist doesn't work anymore. Not many participants on the board, with a few of us making massive lists. Probably ought to limit it to a top five, for starters, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Breivikeidet wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:15 pm
I think Panzergator makes a really useful point about massive lists.

Although they're always written with enthusiastic best intent, they sometimes can seem a bit overwhelming. The point that was made regards a "Top Five" is really good, I think it refines the ask to GHQ.
Taking this point on board, I thought I'd get in early and kickstart the wishlisting for 2024-2025. My logic is that if we get in early enough, the GHQ team can spend even more time being influenced by our wishlisting! #WishfulThinking

I'm also one of the guilty party who's wish list ran into the dozens of models :oops:

So here goes...

Splod's Top-Five for 2025
Sub-Saharan Irregular Heavy Weapons - An infantry pack containing various heavy, crew-served and support weapons in the style of Sub-Saharan Irregular Infantrymen #1. Pack could include mortars, ATGM, AGL, AA, tripod MG and sniper. Useful for nearly any modern setting post WW2.

Caterpillar D9 Armoured Bulldozer - Armoured bulldozers are deployed by almost all modern militaries. The D9 is extremely common, and most recently has been extensively associated with Israeli operations in the Middle East. Military Today - Caterpillar D9

Type 1 Land Cruiser Technical - Armed technical based on 70's series Land Cruiser utility. Extensively used from 1970's to today. Tray loads could include MGs, RCL, ATGM or AAG. Tanks Encyclopedia - Type 1 Technical (Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series)

M47 Patton - Common post-war tank used extensively across the globe. While already produced by GHQ, the model is showing its age and deserves a resculpt. Tanks Encyclopedia - 90mm Gun Tank M47 Patton II

Puma Armoured Engineering Vehicle - Israeli AEV/Heavy APC based on the hull of the venerable Centurion. Capable of carrying a crew of eight and used for combat engineering tasks. Commonly fitted with mine roller, blades or RAFAEL minefield breaching system. Ideally I'd like to see pack of 3-4 Puma with a roller and bulldozer blade included. The RAFAEL system can either be scratched or released as a separate pack. Military Today - PUMA

- - - - - - - - - -

With that list done, what are the top-five microarmour releases you'd like to see for 2024-2025 from GHQ?

P.S. I've focused on moderns as I don't game WW2. I leave it at your discretion whether you want to do a pure 'top five' across both ranges, or if you do two separate lists for WW2 and post-war/modern
McAllen, TX

Enjoying Tank Charts, MeinPanzer, and Harpoon

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 pm
3. Valentine bridgelayer - as common (if not more so) as the Churchill bridgelayer.
It’s (predictably) all WW2 from me:

1. Armoured D7 Angledozer . Brit version - operated with AVRE & Crabs.

2. Valentine Bridgelayer. In action in Italy from 43-45, in NWE 44-45, even the Soviets were sent 25.

3. Sd.kfz. 251/17 with 2cm Schwebelafette - ie. the late, Army version, equipped with a 2cm cannon. It appeared on the battlefield from late 44 – this piece could also fit into the Wehrmacht 47 concept.

4. Soviet 85mm AA model 1939 (52-K) aka 8.5cm FlaK M39(r) in German service – were used in antitank role as early as 1941, were in Soviet anti-tank battalions in mid 43 at Kursk.

5. M19 Tank Transporter ie. Diamond T 980/981 with M9 Rogers Trailer (preferably the hard cab version). About 6000 built, most into US service, the balance were Lend Lease – Brits, Canadians, Soviets et al!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:21 am
1. Armoured D7 Angledozer

3. Sd.kfz. 251/17 with 2cm Schwebelafette

4. Soviet 85mm AA model 1939 (52-K)

5. M19 Tank Transporter
Luckily for me (given that over 90% of my micro armies are 1/300th) Heroics & Ros do all these.

In fact, Baccus does the Valentine Bridgelayer but although their stuff is advertised as 6mm the vehicles are actually about 1/250th. So, massive compared to 1/300th and also noticeably larger than 1/285th. I did order a few packs (jeeps, hanomags, 3.7" AA guns) and although they are nice enough they're just too big for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
The only two I have photos to hand for are the Sd.Kfz 251/17 and the Diamond T Tank Transporter - although the latter is at a distance.

Olfarty

Post by Olfarty »

Mortis57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:46 am
Luckily for me (given that over 90% of my micro armies are 1/300th) Heroics & Ros do all these.
As mentioned in my short boring history, when I kicked off decades(!) ago, my collection was mainly H&R. However, GHQ pewter has long since become a 'disease' (plus some 3d printed stuff to fill the gaps). Indeed, I have already acquired or created four of the items on my wish list, the problem is three of them are not to the standard of GHQ - the exception being the Armoured D7 Angle Dozer from MoM - however one sneeze and it flies across the room!

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Olfarty wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:05 am
(plus some 3d printed stuff to fill the gaps)
I got a few friends with 3d (resin) printers who have offered to print various items for me (including the Valentine Bridgelayer). I've not actually received anything from two of them yet - but I live in hope. I've not yet ordered anything from Shapeways but I've had a few things from Butler's Printed Models and am currently awaiting a (very) small order from The Plastic Soldier Company. They only started to offer 3d printed stuff about 3 months ago and the only 6mm available is some WWII German. My order consisted of 4 Dickermaxes - although only 2 were built in reality.

But this is getting a little off topic for the thread.

Brutzel
E5

Post by Brutzel »

Creating a top 5 is really hard.
I didn't quite make it. ;)
Since I am a German, the Bundeswehr is the army I prefer.
Unfortunately, there are still too few models at GHQ for the Bundeswehr.
I hope that GHQ leaders have a heart and expand the modern "Wehrmacht". ;)

OK, my Top 5 (+1 :p ) list:

Germany - Bundeswehr
Wiesel 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesel_AWC

Germany - Bundeswehr
GTK Boxer San
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK_Boxer ... SanKfz.jpg

Germany - Bundeswehr
Boxer with Skyranger
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oerlikon_ ... system.jpg

Germany - Bundeswehr
Caracal (Germany has ordered 2000 Caracal)
https://www.rheinmetall.com/en/products ... lt-vehicle

US Army
M4C2V
https://weaponsystems.net/system/401-M4 ... ol+Vehicle

(+1)
WW2 "Wehrmacht" --> "Feldjäger" (Military Police) also called "Kettenhunde" ("Chain Dogs") with german shepherd dogs (as guard dogs).

Donald M Scheef

Post by Donald M Scheef »

To Mortis57: I realize that it's not what you had in mind, but I am going to add the Focke-Achgelis Fa223 Drache to the list of WWII German aircraft in the Micronaut Wish List.

Don S.

Mortis57
E5

Post by Mortis57 »

Donald M Scheef wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 pm
To Mortis57: I realize that it's not what you had in mind, but I am going to add the Focke-Achgelis Fa223 Drache to the list of WWII German aircraft in the Micronaut Wish List.

Don S.
Are you mixing the Fa 223 up with the Flettner Fl 282? The latter was used (or at least tested) by the Kriegsmarine; I'm not sure about the former though.

Donald M Scheef

Post by Donald M Scheef »

Yes, I am. Sorry, I was confused by the similarity of the names.

Don S.