South African Defence Force armor -- a wishlist

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

javelin98

South African Defence Force armor -- a wishlist

Post by javelin98 »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for a wishlist, and I know GHQ has a pretty full release schedule already, but I would love to see the main forces of the SADF produced in 6mm. I know Scotia already produces them, but GHQ's level of detail is much greater and I'd rather buy these from GHQ:

* Rooikat wheeled AFV
* Rooikat wheeled anti-tank missile carrier
* Ratel family of APC's (20, 60, 90, mortar, ARV)
* Valkiri MLRS vehicle
* G6 self-propelled artillery vehicle
* Buffel APC
* Eland light wheeled tank

Just that list right there would enable a good-sized Bush War, using Soviet armor for the opposing forces. I know that this is probably something that's not to be a reality until 2008, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks,
Andreas

Fulcrum
E5

Post by Fulcrum »

"javelin98"

I second that !! Great brush war idea's. SF has some really great hardware...

Spokane ???
Rick
www.redrick.net
Micro Armor Page

chrisswim
E5

South African AFV

Post by chrisswim »

What is a Rooikat wheeled anti-tank missle carrier? The Rooikat is a tank destroyer platform, deployed with 76mm HV gun, and prototyped w/ 105.

GHQ makes it, essentially does produce the Eland Light Wheeled Tank (well, AFV), it is called the AML.
Last edited by chrisswim on Fri May 26, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

The Rooikat 20 ATGM carrier was just a prototype. The Rooikat also saw no service in SWA or Angola. I too would love to see GHQ do the Ratels and the rest. I am building a Campaign for the battles in 87/88 but I am still waiting for our defence department to declassify the documents and maps so I can get it down right

javelin98

Post by javelin98 »

Yeah, the anti-tank version is still in development, I guess:

I'd still love to see it, though. And I want the Rooikats for modern/near-future scenarios.

Fulcrum! Are you "RedRick" from TMP? Isn't that incredible!

modwar64

Post by modwar64 »

This topic finally moved me to join the GHQ forums.

As you know South Africa offers a lot of material for HISTORICAL miniature games in the post WW II period.

GHQ already has a host of different figures that can be used in South Africa scenarios. These include all the stuff used by the Cubans and Angolan's except for the aircraft (save the Mi24, Mi8 and MIG 23 which GHQ makes.)

Also, GHQ already has several figures which can be used for South Africans such as:

French AML armored car can be used as the Eland
AS532 Cougar which is very smilar to the Puma
Allouette III which is what South Africa uses.

Finally, what would be nice to see from GHQ is the following:

Ratel family of AFVs (especially the Ratel 20, Ratel 90 and Ratel command)
Oliphant MBT
Infantry, Infantry support weapons and African civilians
Mirage jets
Early version MIGs and SUs.

Thanks,

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

No the Rooikat ATGM carrier was never accepted. It died a slow death at the end of 94. The guy from Army Recognition.Com was banned from the bases here as he was given photos by guys here and he put them up for sale without even giving the guys renumeration.

The turret does look alot like the turret to be fitted to Hoefyster (Horse Iron) I recently saw. Hoefyster wil replace Ratel (Honey Badger) in the comming years.

For those intrested a buddy and I are working on a book about the border war for publication next year so keep an eye out.

Also if you have any questions on SA equipment feel free to ask. If I don't know I will ask the experts here at home.

javelin98

Post by javelin98 »

Awww... and the ATGM Rooikat looked so cool, too! I notice Scotia has a Rooikat APC listed -- what's the deal on that?

On the Ratel, I suppose you could use a French VAB 6x6 as a proxy for it, in a pinch.

I've also wondered why there are no plastic model kits of some of the cool SADF armor. You'd think that G6 SPA would be a hot item in 1/72 or 1/35.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

The Rooikat APC is the Rooikat tank destroyer, it is mis-identified.
It comes with a 76mm gun, the rooikat 105 is the same vehicle with a MG on turret and thicker fume extractor from a different minatures manufacturer.

Do not use the VAB for South African, it will not work. Well it might with you, but not for me. I'll use the VAB for French instead. Although, I use GHQ AML 90 & AML60 turrets on the scotia Ratels, improves the look immensely. With GHQ stem, works great. I have about 200+ Ratels of all types: Ratel 20, Cmd, 60, 90, Swift ATGW, 81mm mortar, logistics, recovery.
Last edited by chrisswim on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Guys I the Rooikat was never more and will never be more than a super recco armored car. OMC and LIW are unvailing the new rooikat in september and according to sources it will rock.

javelin98

Post by javelin98 »

Vorster wrote:OMC and LIW are unvailing the new rooikat in september and according to sources it will rock.
Any details on that?

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Not that I can share :wink:. But I can tell you this still retains alot of the stuff on the old turret with a completly new chassis.

For the striker guys. Denel has been testing our new 105mm mount on the Striker for some time. Seems you boys will be using a Saffer gun on the SPG Striker.

Now I think that GHQ needs to do the RG31 seeing as the US Army now operates about 800 in Iraq. Apart from that the brits, finns and the canadians use it.

chrisswim
E5

South African forces in battle.

Post by chrisswim »

Micro Armor game on Sat July 8, 2006 just south of Jacksonville, Florida on Fleming Island. Start in the morning for the first session and then there will be an afternoon/evening session.

Currently, Cubans (or Americans) vs. South Africans. What idea do you have for the second game? Who can make it?