South African Defence Force armor -- a wishlist

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Hi Thomas

I haven't forgotten about the pics I have promised, but I must admit that I seem to have lost your postal address. Please resend it to me and I will have that DVD on the way.

On the Saffer stuff. Yeah GHQ please do some. I will even provide you with scale drawings of the stuff. If you guys are patient you might even get solid works models of the Ratels.

Cheers

Theunis

6thompsons

SA Vehicles

Post by 6thompsons »

Just a quick FYI; the US is currently using the Buffel APC for route clearance.
Regards,
Charie T.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

It is not the same buffel that we used in the 70s and 80s. It is a modded Casspir.

6thompsons

Post by 6thompsons »

Buffalo Armored Vehicle
Counter IED Vehicle

Technical Solution Group (TSG)

The Buffalo heavily armored EOD vehicle follows the South African monocoque capsule protection concept with US manufactured automotive platform, offering protection from IEDs and up to 45 pound landmine explosion under any wheel and 30 pound mine explosion under the centerline protection. An upgrade package offers protection from Self Forged Fragmentation (SFF) mines. The vehicle is used with US forces in Iraq for route clearing and counter IED activities.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/b/buffalo.htm

See link above for photos.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Sorry my bad it only has design features found on the Casspir. The Monocoque hull is definately Casspir but that is where it ends.

The real Buffel which was also known as the Grensdonkie (literaly translated as Border Donkey. It was called this because it was used so extensively on the SWA/Namibia border for many years providing stalward service like a donkey). It was also known Kots Koets (Vomit Comet as it was top heavy and made you very car sick at high speeds on uneven roads due to the swaying of the loose body. I've climbed up on and all I could say is that my 100kgs actualy pulled that vehicle almost over).

Below a pic of that great old vehicle.

javelin98

Post by javelin98 »

That's a great design, especially how they sloped the underbody to allow better deflection of a mine blast. I'd like to see how the C-in-C mini of the Buffel looks, if anyone's got some pics of it.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Scotia does one as well. Go have a look at this site. http://wargaming.info/6mm/page2.shtml.

Yeah the 43 degree sloped hull can be found on all our mine protected vehicles. (Oops did I just give away a secret?). But problem is that hull is attached with cables to the Unimog chassis below and has a very nasty tendency to sway. Another nice feature is that the hull is used to store water for the troop. Thus it isn't just an empty space but served a secondary purpose. The water also helped to stop the blast and cool it down.

This was one of the most successful mine protected APCs we had. They have now been withdrawn from service (wanna buy one $ 5500) and replaced with the Casspir and the Mamba. The Casspir apeared in the 80s and which is alot better than the Buffel and alot more dangerous (not many survivors of people who fought against the police COIN units issued with Casspirs). The Mamba is a stripped down vertion of the RG 31 used by the US Army in Iraq. It shares alot of features and spares with Casspir, being decended from Casspir, and componants and this is why we field both.

By the by any of you guys had feedback on the RG 31s the the American forces use in Iraq.

lekw

South African Infantry

Post by lekw »

I can't wait for GHQ to come out with some South African infantry. Would go great with the Bush warriors packs. At the momenent I am using the WWII British in digger hats for south african infanry. I do some work on the weapons. Looks okay, I was thinking of maybe trying to use NVA as well.

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

You can use bear headed oaks as well. Our guys weren't very big on head gear and the ubiqious bos hoed (bush hat) was mostly worn just to keep the bad ** CENSORED ** Ovambo sun out the eyes.

Be carefull of helmets the only time I've seen our guys wear helmets were the paras in 78 when we hit Cassinga (go have a look here there are some nice ideas for a infantry only wargame of the Cassinga strike http://flecha.co.uk/CASSINGA.html). Those were also not standard SA issue. I've also seen pics of gun crews wearing what looks like east german helmets. Best is to use bear headed isrealis if you can get them.

Another intresting thing is that guys walking point or flank cover during patrols on Oom Willie's Pad wore sunglasses as the refelction from the white sand was blinding. Out in the bush though you faced the wrath of the section leader if you pulled such as stunt.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...hey Vorster, that is one H3LL of an interesting site...! Danke.
This looks like some nice little scenarios can be had out of this thing...now I know why Thomas is so interested in SA.
John

Vorster

Post by Vorster »

Pleasure. It is a sadly forgotten war which produced some of the most daring raids and ops in the world. Don't forget the Rhodesians (do I hear the psssss of the PC guys here) they had some stunning commando raids. Been reading up on them. There is an interesting op in which 200 Rhoddy SAS and Rhodesian Light Infantry wiped out a terr (another psss) camp in Mozambique and killed almost 1500 terrs for the loss of two. Apparently the guys stopped counting at 1200 bodies and had at that stage not even coverd half of the camp.

I am working on TO&Es and will pass them on once they are done.