Obise 210 mm lookalike

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Pitfall
E5

Obise 210 mm lookalike

Post by Pitfall »

Yeah, I noticed that GHQ doesn't produce an Obise 210mm (Italian).

Are there any look-alikes that I can use?
I wish I had something witty to say...

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Ciao Pitfall,

I think you better put that one on the wishlist. I'll second it. It's a good choice.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I think I'd rather have an Italian 75mm or 149mm Field Gun first. Weren't those far more common?
Last edited by Mk 1 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

I dunno how common they are, but I saw a picture of one and it looks cool as hell. Is the tube on one of those segmented?

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I agree that the Obice 210 is pretty cool. The Obice 210 would be excellent to have! Are you listening GHQ? It was one of the few modern artillery pieces in the inventory of the Royal Italian Army.
Check out this link: http://www.comandosupremo.com/Howitzer21025.html
It's a good site for anyone interested in Italy's involvement in WW2. Ciao amici!
Last edited by regia-marina on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

"The main problem for the Italians was that having designed a first-rate howitzer, they could not produce it quickly enough. Despite the good intentions of the Italian Army not to enter the war with the antiquated gun park still largely undisturbed by modern equipment, by the autumn of 1942, only 20 modello 35s had been built – 5 were retained in Italy and 15 were in action on the Eastern Front".

Gentlemen...

I hate to raise a fine point about the gun you are requesting GHQ produce, ...but, I wonder if other Italian artillery pieces would be more useful. A gun that was produced in such limited numbers is great, but aren't there other guns that would be better for gamers to be able to use on the table in the North African campaign...? It seems to me there are a couple of types (75mm Field Gun or 149mm m1914) that would be especially useful for the early campaigns against the British.

I know, we all want what we want... Still...

Will
ComOpsCtr
Last edited by 1ComOpsCtr on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Very true 1ComOpsCtr. Still, it's something for the wishlist albeit perhaps not a priority. Italian 75's are a necessity.

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

I completely understand... but I also know how much time and effort it takes GHQ to produce a model of the quality they want. When the first HUMMER "gun trucks" were being produced we (SOT-D) sent them pictures and as much information as we could to see if we could get them produced in miniature so we could use them for training. They are in the future mix, as are many other items (the Buffalo for one) that can be used in training.

So what do we do...? We convert, we modify, we even make our own every once in a while...

I guess what I am really saying is this: If you really need a particular model for a game or simulation you'll just have to make them yourself until the great folks at GHQ can get around to making them... :wink:

I'll bet you could convert a Russian heavy gun into the 210 with a little work using the chassis and modified trails of the US Long Tom. The profile looks close just looking at the pictures on this site...

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

Yeah, I knew that GHQ wouldn't produce them. (Hence the title of the thread). The thing shouldn't even really be on the board for most microarmor games.

Has anyone actually kitbashed one or something similar?

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

As noted in earlier post the barrel assembly of the Russian heavy gun (203mm?) looks very close.

Taking the trail assembly from the US Long Tom or 8" Howitzer, cutting the wheels off carefully, spliting the 4 pair very carefully and reattaching the outter wheel/tire assemblies will make the four pairs into single wheels like the Italian gun... I am sure the production Italian gun had similar tools, etc., attached to the trails like the US gun so you should be able to leave those attached, or if you prefer you can carefully trim the accessories off the outter side of the trails to more closely resemble the picture, but quite frankly leaving them attached should work just fine.

How many of them do you need? They will be fairly expensive since you have to kit bash two sets of product to get the gun you want.

Was this gun deployed during the Afrika Campaign? If that is what you want it for and you are representing batteries with one miniature you should need one at the most...or are you planning to use several through a points system that allows you to purchase more than really existed in theater?

Will
ComOpsCtr

jb
E5

210mm Meat-a-balls

Post by jb »

Hey Jason. Siete che progettate sul cadere i meatbalss di 210mm sui vostri amici del Tommy? :lol: (...Hey Jason. Are you planning on a dropping 210mm meat-a-balls on a you Tommy friends? :lol:)
John

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

No, I was just browsing and I thought they looked neat. I don't think I'll ever make one since I would have to buy two different kits to bash one together.

Mk 1
E5

Re: 210mm Meat-a-balls

Post by Mk 1 »

JB dire:
Hey Jason. Siete che progettate sul cadere i meatbalss di 210mm sui vostri amici del Tommy? :lol:
Fra dire, y il fare ... che di mezzo, il mare! Image
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

jb
E5

Re: 210mm Meat-a-balls

Post by jb »

Mk 1 wrote:
JB dire:
Hey Jason. Siete che progettate sul cadere i meatbalss di 210mm sui vostri amici del Tommy? :lol:
Fra dire, y il fare ... che di mezzo, il mare! Image
:?: :?
John

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

Pitfall,
Yeah, I knew that GHQ wouldn't produce them.
Don't give up hope! How many Maus-es (Mice??) did Germany build? How many Karl mortars? And I'm sure there are other examples...

Unless I miss my guess, I would bet that GHQ's releases are both a mixture of "what the consumer wants" and "the labors of love" of the artists who craft these wonderful models. The latter is a MAJOR factor in the genre of 1:1200 and 1:1250 ships, which I also participate in. There are a few "major players" who (at least appear to) have the clout or financial resources or whatever to pay a sculptor to craft the masters for a desired model. But there is a large portion of the hobby, driven by gentlemen who want a model of a particular ship... find that it is not (yet!) available... gather plans and photographs... craft their own models... and use that master to make a few copies to sell to friends and/or to "the general public".

I imagine the same is true with GHQ, especially for some of the "rarer" vehicles. Maybe someday... someone will decide to sculpt an Obise... or a StuG33B... or whatever.

I think it will be a LONG time before GHQ finally makes one of everything!! (Hmmm... maybe that will be what Heaven will be like!! :lol: )

Regards,
Tom Stockton
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"