Stalingrad StuIG33b

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

DrBig
E5

Stalingrad StuIG33b

Post by DrBig »

Anyone know where to get one in 1/285? I'm disappointed it isn't in the GHQ lineup for the coming year. :(

6thompsons

StuG33B

Post by 6thompsons »

Go to the Civil War Times Journal web site and then to game store 5. This British shop sells Scotia Miniatures which makes a StuG33B along with other obscure WWII and Modern vehicles. Alos, the shop takes US credit cards and mails to the US at a reasonable cost. Scotia minis lack the same quality of detail as GHQ so buyer beware!
Regards,
Charlie T.

6thompsons

StuG33b

Post by 6thompsons »

http://www.wtj.com/store/gameshop/
Above is the URL for the store that I mentioned earlier.
Charlie T.

groundlber
E5

Post by groundlber »

Everyone - This particular vehicle had a very limited production run. I haven't found any references to them after Stalingrad. (All melted down to make more T-34's?)
This would make a good first project for would be converters. The superstructure is a slightly angled box, with a flat plate for the gunshield and a couple of flat plates on top for the commanders hatch and another located near the center. I used an extra Pzr III hull, some putty, and a gun barrel from the scrap box.
The one I made would never be mistaken for a GHQ product, but it served it's purpose and provided some slight problems to players who thought they knew every vehicle that could possibly show up on the table.
Groundlber

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

Ground, almost everything the Germans made was limited production! :D

One battery was lost at Stalingrad, the surviving battery made it to Kursk

jb
E5

Post by jb »

The Achtung Panzer gives the history of this vehicle as follows: "Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz 33 was a heavy infantry gun carrier designed and produced by Alkett. From December of 1941 to October of 1942, total number of 24 s.I.G.33 auf Fgst. Pz.Kpfw.III (Sfl.) were made (chassis number 90101 to 91400). Its design was based on Stug III Ausf B's chassis, while production models were based on the Stug III Ausf E (12) and F/8's (12) chassis. It was armed with 150mm L/11.4 heavy infantry gun. Storage space allowed only 30 of 150mm rounds and 600 rounds for MG34 to be carried inside the vehicle. Stug 33s were operated by the crew of 5 and were used exclusively on the Eastern Front. 12 of 24 Stug 33s produced were used in fighting in Stalingrad with Sturmgeschutz Abteilung 177 and 244, where they were all lost. The other 12 were used by Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz-Batterie Lehr Battalion XVII (training battalion) and then with 23rd Panzer Division."
To me the thing just looks like a "Brumbar"
John

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

Yeah, I found some references too. In Polish Militaria #6, there is a color plate of one with the capion "Jednostka nieustalon a front wschodni 1943", and in Concord 7015 there is another plate of a vehicle from the same unit that says "23.Panzerdivision late summer 1943". Both are yellow base with green stripes. One vehicle has #G7, and the other G12.

Most interesting is a photo in French Militaria Hors-Serie #44 has a vehicle in solid yellow marching though a smashed battery of Katyusha's (Studebakers) with a Panzer IVH which indicates it fought with a Panzer Division