What GHQ paint for WWII German

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Azure

Post by Azure »

Well, the first Panther is painted...and allow me to say i am immediately noticing a couple things.
1 WOW Tamiya's paints dry fast...too fast. The paint gets a "skim" on it that makes it quite thick (in the bottle) in next to no time, and it dries on a 20/0 brush before it gets to the model *grumble*
2 This "scale darkening" that i read so much about, and never noticed, while doing 1/35 armor or HO locomotives is EXTREMELY noticeable on these tiny critters. I used Model Master 1943 "panzer Dunkelgelb" and Tamiya red brown, 2 colors i always loved in 1/35, and did a very basic camo scheme (with the yellow as the base) and then weathered with a light grey...and now i have a model of the filthiest panther ever! It actually looks rather neat (just not exactly the effect i was after) , i will try and post a pic in the next day or so (new to digital cameras...eek!)
3 The drybrushing dosent seem to go as well in 1/285 as in 1/35. Any tips? I was trying to highlight things like the roadwheel rims and rim bolts, engine deck grilles, etc, but it seems that my brush has a hard time reaching slightly recessed areas that i want to drybrush. Any advice on this? Thanks, Azure
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

1ComOpsCtr
E5

dry brushing

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

Azure,

I think you will find it easier to dry brush with water based paint. You will also have to work with lighter colors than you are used to using when dry-brushing in 1/285th scale to have it noticable enough to make a difference. It isn't possible to be as "subtle" in this small scale as it is in 1/35 or even 1/72 scales.

Try using a light tan or a light ground color for your dry-brushing using one of your wife's or girlfriend's old puffy make-up brushes... using a good water based paint. If you will notice on the M-935 in the picture above the contrast of the dry-brushed highlights is pretty stark, and have been slightly overdone to get the look I wanted: of a truck that had seen many miles in convoy duty...

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Azure

Post by Azure »

Thanks, ill give that a shot!
From model tanks to model railroading back to TINY model tanks...they just keep getting smaller

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

I have already posted a fair number of pics of museum restorations from Littlefields Military Technology (private) museum, and the Patton Museum at Fort Knox.

Now how about some images from the Musee de Saumur in France?

http://yoyo.le.petaf.free.fr/maquette/S ... index.html

This is a great one, boyz. I promise you will not be disappointed. These short video clips of the runners from the concourse at Saumur. Each year, they bring out their working tanks for a short drive. All the sites and sounds! VERY NICE.

In this selection you'll see an R35, a Hetzer, two different Pz II models, a T-34/85, an M10, and their famous Tiger II. Other runners as well. VERY NICE.

But be patient, the website hosting these clips is VERY slow sometimes. You may need to click on a selection more than once to get it to play, too.

Enjoy!
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD