WWII US paint?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

6thompsons

WWII US paint?

Post by 6thompsons »

What GHQ color do I use for WWII US vehilces in NW Europe? Would Britsih / Commonwealth vehicles there use the same color or something different?
Thanks,
Charlie T.

DrBig
E5

Post by DrBig »

http://www.mafva.org.uk/Resources.asp

check out the second article.

US WW2 OD has a very confused & warped history in postwar modelling. The short version is that most OD paints were made to Vietnam era OD which was lighter than WW2 OD, although they both had the same stock numbers.

I haven't had time to look at the GHQ OD yet, but I suspect that's the place to start.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...now you see,this why we need to keep threads archived . We just had this OD green thing going for a month and a half.
The consnesus was that there is no "real" OD green. It is seen in a lot of different shades. I guess then if you want a "true" OD,you need to match the exact shade to the subject that needs the paint i.e. a particular vehicle(s) from a given picture....

6thompsons

Post by 6thompsons »

When I was a CSC XO back in the early 80s in Berlin I had about 50 vehicles I was responsible for. They were all painted OD Green (some agreement said that we couldn't use a camo scheme on our vehicles in Berlin unlike the rest of USAEUR) from the same government stocks with about 50 different shades due to weathering, paint / thinner mix, etc. Back to my original question; which GHQ (and GHQ only) paint should I use for US & Commonwealth WWII in NW Europe?
Thanks,
Charlie T.