Command Stand

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

CountRingworm

Command Stand

Post by CountRingworm »

i'm just getting into WW2 miniatures, and about to make my first purchases.

i figured i'd start with some basics before i move to the really fun stuff, like armor.

what figures are recommended to put on a command stand for germany? i figure on getting the command pack with the 3 trucks/2 cars, but what infantry figures? or something else?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

1ComOpsCtr
E5

command figures

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

There are 5 package choices for command figures depending on what particular infantry you are duplicating and where they fight, and what time of year it is...

G-101
G-144
G-507
G-512
G-521

Look in the listing of German Infantry to decide which works for your particular unit. Each package comes with some command figures, plus the remaining infantry you will need for your unit...

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

CountRingworm

Post by CountRingworm »

ah, thanks. i read "officers" there, but it went right by me for some reason.

what about higher level command, like company or batallion? just add a truck to the stand with some officers? more elaborate?

saxophone
E5

Post by saxophone »

For higher level command, you could also add a table with the officers standing around it.

ACWBill
E5

High Command

Post by ACWBill »

Hey Saxophone, shouldn't themy be sitting? Or better yet, can we get some officer figures drinking and napping? Now we're talking HIGH Command! :twisted:
"I was worse scared than I was at Shiloh" - Sam Watkins
Perryville, KY - October 8, 1862

saxophone
E5

Post by saxophone »

Well, standing or stitting, they could be leaning over the table. One guy would have a Charlie Chaplain moustache while another guy is fat and in a white uniform. High enough for you?

jb
E5

Post by jb »

...how 'bout the three stooges,one of them wearing a lancers Czapka :lol:
John

1ComOpsCtr
E5

Post by 1ComOpsCtr »

If you wish to make a command stand with figures that look like officers, especially WW2 German officers you can use figures from the Prieser "Z" scale civilian assortment from Walthers.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-88500

Follow this link to the picture (tried to post the picture but it didn't work). You will notice the first group of figures in the second row. They all wear peaked/billed hats like German uniform "covers" which could be painted in whichever service you wished. Also note a little further down the second row there is a rather large (fat figure) with his hands in his pockets... he could work if you took one of the heads from the other figures to give him the proper hat. Also there is a really good command figure a little further down that same row just below and to the left of the horses in the first row... he has one hand on his hip and the other is pointing in a commanding way. Also note there are sitting figures that could be adapted, etc...

There are tables and chairs in a close scale on one of the sites that has vehicles from the thread on civilian vehicles. Good luck with your command stands, they will be much more fun than most if you do any of these options...

Will
ComOpsCtr
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, 1844-1900

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Here are some of my command stands:

Anzac Platoon Leader

German Platoon Leader in Bocage

British Platoon Leader directs attack while bren team provides support

Another British Platoon provides support as a section tries to outflank the Hun
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.