Paper Terrain releases Micro-scale North African Buildings

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Scott Washburn

Paper Terrain releases Micro-scale North African Buildings

Post by Scott Washburn »

PaperTerrain www.paperterrain.com has added a micro-scale version of its North African village. The kit includes a Mosque and 26 other buildings and connecting walls. The kit is printed in full color and is ready to cut out and assemble for your 6mm or 1/285th scale games. Like all PaperTerrain buildings, the undamaged outer shell lifts off to reveal a ruined version of the same building underneath. This allows buildings to be 'destroyed' during a game and also allows you to place troops inside.

Scott Washburn
www.paperterrain.com

jb
E5

Re: Paper Terrain releases Micro-scale North African Buildin

Post by jb »

Thanks Scott. I had to order a set :roll: DOH!
John

Pitfall
E5

Post by Pitfall »

Sweet. Will we be using those come august?
I wish I had something witty to say...

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Pitfall wrote:Sweet. Will we be using those come august?
...sure. Thats what they are all about! :D
John

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

I wonder if this topic hasn't crossed the line of propriety. We are all usually quite careful to avoid plugging competitors' products. Since GHQ sells their own line of buildings, including North African types, isn't this thread akin to say, CnC advertising some of their models in this forum?

hobby-bob

Post by hobby-bob »

I’m not sure I totally agree with 8ball over the issue of propriety with respect to Paper Terrain products. Yes, GHQ offers Middle Eastern structures, which are, of course, up to the exacting quality standards we’ve come to expect from them. However, I can’t help but think that there are actually two markets here. There’s an entirely different skill set involved in putting together a paper model and turning a pewter model into a realistic representation of a building.

Personally, I do both. When I’m in the mood to get funky with my 00000 paint brush, I’ll buy a couple of GHQ buildings and get busy. If I want to build a city quickly, I’ll design, print, cut out, and assemble a dozen paper buildings in about the same time it takes to do justice to the GHQ models.

Now, I’ve mentioned in other threads that for a minimal financial outlay, GHQ could easily enter the paper terrain market (I’m waiting…). Then ]there would be an issue of propriety with this thread.

Just my two cents worth.
Bob
Seems to me, Cap'n, this mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources.

Scott Washburn

Post by Scott Washburn »

Good grief, is my face red :oops:

Somehow I never realized that GHQ sold buildings! I should have, I've bought a lot of their products and I'm good friends with Jim Moffet. I really shouldn't be plugging my stuff here since it does compete with GHQ products. There are other places I can advertise. I shall cease and desist immediately.

Apologies to GHQ.
Scott Washburn
www.paperterrain.com

jb
E5

I HATE 2 PAINT BUILDINGS :x GRRRrrrr

Post by jb »

If GHQ really minds,I think they would "kindly" say so. I don't think GHQ feels that this is a threat, if they do I hope they say so...
I personally am VERY grateful for this thread and the information it bares. After all this is a forum for obtaining knowledge of our craft, and things that are associated with it. I have tried the internet for buildings and came up with very few results. This thread gave me something I was looking for.
The Paperterrein buildings are something that will fit right in with the GHQ buildings that are offered. With both of these offerings we can add more dimension to our "built up" areas.
Once again if GHQs minds I hope they say so. I will buy the paperterrain buildings,but 100s of times more vehicles from GHQ!...
John

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

Perhaps I'm being too picky. But my point is this. If there were no paper model buildings to purchase, and you wanted buildings, where would you get them?

I also believe it is inappropriate of us to cite the fact that GHQ has not censored this thread as a de facto approval of it on their part. Rather I would point out that if they if they liked this thread and the fact it was being used to advertise another's, arguably competing product, they would have responded as such to my intitial post.

Hey, I'm a big fan of paper terrain. Heck, I actually made a paper house and posted it here for free. BTW, I actually felt a little funny about that, since it is obvious that free giveaways can hurt sales too.

Scott is a class guy, and his last post demonstrates. He frequently posts on the Miniatures Page, and he uses that medium to support his product.

Hugewally
E5

Post by Hugewally »

Looking around this forum, no where does it state what is and what isn't acceptable when talking about other manufactures and products, only the usual forum stuff about obscene/offensive/etc language. To me that means this unwritten-gentlemans rule about not talking about the other manufacturers is crazy. To take it to an extreme, talking about civilian vehicles or a C17 model can also hurt sales too...

I would think that if GHQ didn't want other manufacturers mentioned there would be some forum rules in a sticky post or something...

thenorthman
E5

Post by thenorthman »

I do believe they have mentioned it in the past. The post went away though.

Sean

Hugewally
E5

Post by Hugewally »

:oops:

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

thenorthman said:
I do believe they have mentioned it in the past. The post went away though.
Indeed, GHQ has mentioned in threads on past occasions, in a kindly and polite fashion to be sure, that they don't appreciate their forum being used to advertise competitors' products.

To my observation they have never suggested a specific prohibition on discussions of competitors' products, nor pictures being posted of competitors' products, within the context of a discussion of the hobby. What they have suggested is that this forum, which is paid for and maintained by GHQ funds, should not be an advertising medium for their competitors. They have on one occasion I recall made a clear statement "drawing the line" at posts that contain links to competitors' websites (where the website is an online storefront).

The issue is mostly self-policing here on the forum. Many of us who are regulars, and have been around for a while, appreciate this meeting place so much that we jeolously guard the forum from any issues we perceive as being a risk to GHQ's enthusiasm for supporting the site.

So one might consider it an unwritten "gentleman's rule". But that does not make it crazy. There is something behind that rule, and there are several folks who understand and agree with the reasoning.
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

Hugewally
E5

Post by Hugewally »

All well and good (understanding the meaning behind it). But hard for anyone new to understand what that fine line is, if they can't see it in writing somewhere (like a sticky topic or even in the registration rules).

8ball
E5

Post by 8ball »

An extra ration of rum for Mk-1.

Ain't self-policing a great thing--democracy at its best I say.

I've got a number of different types of paper buildings (including some of Scott's, and have actually considered writing a review here but have decided against it because I think even that would be a conflict of interest. Though I don't think the discussions regarding civilian vehicles is a problem as GHQ doesn't sell any. I also don't think the discussions on constructing paper buildings are a problem as we have not been plugging anyone in particular.

I hope we haven't scared Scott away.