Scale creep

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jb
E5

Scale creep

Post by jb »

I don't know if many of you are aware of scale "creep". This is when things are not exactly to scale. For instance most of us are aware of the size difference of GHQ's individual infantry compared to their vehicles.This usually makes the pure scaler shudder. But this is a good thing,especially being a wargamer.
I recently bought some PzkwIIIMs from CnC. This choice was made due to the fact that "our" favorite arms dealer just don't have them yet. Anyways...I was checking them out this weekend. The things are truly a work of art. But the gun tubes on them are so fragile that even I can't game with them. I tried to make them more solid with CA glue,but that still didn't do the trick. I foresee that eventually I will need to replace everyone of those tubes. The only redeeming factor is that they don't need tube brakes or evacuators. Thank God I didn't need Panthers...!
So keep this in mind when thinking that our tubes are a little oversized-they look great and they work for what they are intended for...
BTW, I got this "scale creep" info off of the CnC forum,from guys over there knocking GHQs quality... how little do they realize on the subject.
Last edited by jb on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

IRON FIST

Post by IRON FIST »

WELL SAID JB!!!! Just think what we would stuck with if we did not have GHQ. I don't even waste my money on anything else anymore.

pmskaar
E5

Scale Creep

Post by pmskaar »

JB

Did you say Pz IIIM's? GHQ makes this model in 2 versions, the standard Pz IIIM and the Flampanzer III. Both are available as G27 in the catalog. I have a bunch of these and they are very nice. Now if I could just get them to do a Pz IVG and a Pz IIIJ with the short barrel.

Pete - Binpicker, Out!

Der Kommandeur
E5

Post by Der Kommandeur »

As I wrote some time ago on a long lost thread... the overscale detail adds character and the figures become sort of caricatures themselves ... but as you say jb, they have to be robust enough to withstand the rigours of 'combat' ...

I have some CinC ... just their Crusader III MK I 40mm AA and some accessories like sand bag positions and telegraph poles. As you say, very nice, finely detailed models, and not really a 'waste' of money IMHO.

Proper 'waste' would putting cash Scotia's way. I had samples of JU52 and Go242 ... pretty dissappointing ... simply not 'lovingly' done. Thankfully GHQ will release both this year.

But then again I guess I should be grateful that I can afford the slight premium for the higher quality products offerd by GHQ.

DK
Der Kommandeur
:: Been away but still painting ::

jb
E5

Re: Scale Creep

Post by jb »

pmskaar wrote:JB

Did you say Pz IIIM's? GHQ makes this model in 2 versions, the standard Pz IIIM and the Flampanzer III. Both are available as G27 in the catalog. I have a bunch of these and they are very nice. Now if I could just get them to do a Pz IVG and a Pz IIIJ with the short barrel.

Pete - Binpicker, Out!
Yes Pete you are correct. I should rephrase my previous statement as to why I went CnC on my choice. CnC has the "skirt" armour on thier version. :idea: I probably should just use the skirts and put them on GHQs version. Of course I would have to scratch build the turret armour then. That still might be easier then putting guns on the initial batch...
John

pmskaar
E5

Scale Creep

Post by pmskaar »

That makes sense JB. I too would like to see GHQ do some of their Pz III L's, M's, and N's with the complete sideskirts. Maybe they could offer a mod kit at some point or just offer packs with skirts in addition to the ones already available. Of course I have a bunch of other things to paint in the meantime. Have a great July 4th!

Pete

jb
E5

Re: Scale Creep

Post by jb »

pmskaar wrote: ...I too would like to see GHQ do some of their Pz III L's, M's, and N's with the complete sideskirts. Maybe they could offer a mod kit at some point or just offer packs with skirts in addition to the ones already available...
Pete
Yes they should and probably will. As for the Mod kit or addition stuff,I don't like the idea. Look at what the price is for the Stryker add on armour,$8.95. The price of the vehicles already is border line prohibitive,for me. I can't see,at all, paying almost $4.00 for an unassembled,unpainted,1/285th scale vehicle,no matter what my addiction is...
John

tstockton
E5

Post by tstockton »

jb,

Just for conversation's sake... while I can most assuredly see the negatives for building an entire company with vehicles approaching $4 apiece -- what if you were only doiing a few -- maybe four or five?

I know that as more of a collector than anything else, my "budgetary constraints" vary quite a bit from those of you who "game" on a regular basis. Or, if you were playing "small-sided" scenarios -- such as those once produced by Avalon Hill in their Advanced Squad Leader series -- a "few" of any vehicle would usually be enough.

Just a couple of thoughts from some one who (admittedly) doesn't know a whole lot... just enough to be "dangerous", though!! :lol:

Regards,
Tom
"Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"

jb
E5

Post by jb »

tstockton wrote:jb,

... while I can most assuredly see the negatives for building an entire company with vehicles approaching $4 apiece -- what if you were only doiing a few -- maybe four or five?
I definitely would not warrant almost $20.00 US for a pack,especially when in fact there is one too many to make a platoon (another subject that was discussed previously). I also don't like the price structure of the add on kits that are sold. Like I said it is already borderline cost prohibitive just for the vehicles. With the price of energy i.e. gasoline,heating the home,and electicity,and other silly frivolties such as food cost going up,there are way fewer hobby dollars to be spent...
John